Need to create backup of Outlook folders with all emails Sent/Received on flash drive for transfer to laptop.

• Thread starter siggers19
  • Start date Views 630
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

siggers19

I would like to receive step by step instructions for future reference so that I may be able to create a full back up of my outlook 2007 on to a flash drive and then transfer the information from my desktop to my laptop and have all email communications available while out of town and away from primary desktop.

The technical support team has been able to help me in the past, but I am unable to remember the steps we took, I just remember using a flash drive for part of the process. My warranty is now expired and I would just like to have this in writing for future reference so that I can do this on a regular basis if necessary.

Please advise with any possible help.

Thank you,

RS

S

siggers19

Brian,

I still seem to be having troubles. I think I need to create a new data file back up for outlook and I am being prompted to compact the file. Will this cause some information loss when I try to upload the copy to my laptop?

R

Roady [MVP]

Are you sure you are using Outlook and not Outlook Express?
I'm asking because Outlook does not prompt you to compact any file.

To verify which version of Outlook/Outlook Express you are using use;
Help-> About...

Either way, you do not have to create a new data file from within Outlook itself in order to back up Outlook. Simply copy the pst-file(s) that you use to your backup location. The links Brian provided tell you where you can find your pst-files.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

S

siggers19

Just to confirm, I just checked and I am using Microsoft Office Small Business 2007.

Also, the current PST file listed in my data file management screen shows the last update of 1/6/10. Do I just copy this file to my flash drive and the update will automatically happen?

How do I, or do I need to back this file up to make sure all current information is included when I copy it to my flash drive for transfer to laptop?

Thanks,

RS

R

Roady [MVP]

I would suggest that you have not used Outlook since 1/6/10. If that is correct, then you have the correct file. If not, use File-> Data File Mangement... to find the correct locations. You can select the pst-file and press the Open File Location button to directly go there.

You'll need to copy the file each time that you want to make a back-up.

Copy the file from the flash drive to the laptop and then connect to it via File-> Open-> Outlook Data File...

You can find full details here;
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

Status
Not open for further replies.