WebDAV finally going away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
Well, I think the time has come. Some of us have been able to use free

Hotmail accounts in Outlook without the Outlook Connector because older

accounts were still permitted to use the old WebDAV protocol for the

connection. Two days ago, I received a message from the Live people that if I

wanted to continue using Hotmail with Outlook that I'd need to install the

Outlook Connector. I'm not complaining and I have no problem to solve. I

just wanted to provide a heads-up to those others who are also still using

WebDAV. If you haven't seen that message yet, I suspect you will shortly.

--
 
K

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

#2
You can set it up for regular POP3 and not have to use the connector.

"Brian Tillman " <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message

news:%23NiKecd5JHA.2456@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Well, I think the time has come. Some of us have been able to use free
> Hotmail accounts in Outlook without the Outlook Connector because older
> accounts were still permitted to use the old WebDAV protocol for the
> connection. Two days ago, I received a message from the Live people that
> if I wanted to continue using Hotmail with Outlook that I'd need to
> install the Outlook Connector. I'm not complaining and I have no problem
> to solve. I just wanted to provide a heads-up to those others who are
> also still using WebDAV. If you haven't seen that message yet, I suspect
> you will shortly.
> >
 
#3
" - " <kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message

news:uL7QcCe5JHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...


> You can set it up for regular POP3 and not have to use the connector.


Of course.

--
 
S

Steven

#4
Presumably for a fee too .... ?

"Brian Tillman " <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message

news:e299QSe5JHA.6004@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> " - " <kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:uL7QcCe5JHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
> > You can set it up for regular POP3 and not have to use the connector.


> Of course.
> >
 
D

Dave Warren

#6
In message <ez2$Zvf5JHA.1716@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl> "Brian Tillman [MVP -

Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> was claimed to have wrote:


> "Steven" <svaardt@googlesmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ODCHpJf5JHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>
> > Presumably for a fee too .... ?


> No, it's free again.
> http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49799.entry


In some countries... Your location (as defined in your account profile)

seems to make a difference here.
 
R

Roady [MVP]

#7
That was only for about a month or so. That limitation is no more and all

Live Hotmail accounts should have free POP3 access now. If not, contact Live

Hotmail Support.

---
"Dave Warren" <dave-usenet@djwcomputers.com> wrote in message

news:bnmi25599dg0npefacd11echf34u893qi1@4ax.com...
> In message <ez2$Zvf5JHA.1716@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl> "Brian Tillman [MVP -
> Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> was claimed to have wrote:
>
> >"Steven" <svaardt@googlesmail.com> wrote in message
> >news:ODCHpJf5JHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> >
> >> Presumably for a fee too .... ?

>

>>No, it's free again.
> >http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49799.entry


> In some countries... Your location (as defined in your account profile)
> seems to make a difference here.
 
S

Steven

#8
Great stuff - if it it's going to be totally free via POP that's very

commendable for Microsoft....

what are the pop/smtp addresses that I should be using for hotmail a/c's ...

or where should I find them ?

"Brian Tillman " <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message

news:%23NiKecd5JHA.2456@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Well, I think the time has come. Some of us have been able to use free
> Hotmail accounts in Outlook without the Outlook Connector because older
> accounts were still permitted to use the old WebDAV protocol for the
> connection. Two days ago, I received a message from the Live people that
> if I wanted to continue using Hotmail with Outlook that I'd need to
> install the Outlook Connector. I'm not complaining and I have no problem
> to solve. I just wanted to provide a heads-up to those others who are
> also still using WebDAV. If you haven't seen that message yet, I suspect
> you will shortly.
> >
 
D

Dave Warren

#9
In message <OCQ5#hi5JHA.2456@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "Roady [MVP]"

<newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> was claimed to have

wrote:


> That was only for about a month or so. That limitation is no more and all
> Live Hotmail accounts should have free POP3 access now. If not, contact Live
> Hotmail Support.


It was far longer then a month, it was at least three months between

when I set up my first US based user and when I was able to start POPing

my own test account (I'm Canadian)

One of my users reported that as of last week they had a "POP3 service

is still being rolled out for members of your country" message received

from Hotmail support. I don't recall which country, although I could

probably look it up, somewhere in eastern Europe I believe.
 
S

Steven

#10
If you're using several email accounts can't the latest MS Mail program

(Outlook 2007 ?) distinguish between them so that just as with WebDAV emails

go securely to where they belong, and not all get dropped into the same

Inbox folder....

"Dave Warren" <dave-usenet@djwcomputers.com> wrote in message

news:0ifp25ph0da43240dfoqgvdi78s1msfcr7@4ax.com...
> In message <OCQ5#hi5JHA.2456@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "Roady [MVP]"
> <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> was claimed to have
> wrote:
>
> >That was only for about a month or so. That limitation is no more and all
> >Live Hotmail accounts should have free POP3 access now. If not, contact
> >Live
> >Hotmail Support.


> It was far longer then a month, it was at least three months between
> when I set up my first US based user and when I was able to start POPing
> my own test account (I'm Canadian)

> One of my users reported that as of last week they had a "POP3 service
> is still being rolled out for members of your country" message received
> from Hotmail support. I don't recall which country, although I could
> probably look it up, somewhere in eastern Europe I believe.
 

Diane Poremsky

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
#11
No, pop3 always uses 1 mailbox. you can use rules or, with outlook 2007,

set a different inbox (on acct settings).

"Steven" <svaardt@googlesmail.com> wrote in message

news:evUVU4E6JHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> If you're using several email accounts can't the latest MS Mail program
> (Outlook 2007 ?) distinguish between them so that just as with WebDAV
> emails go securely to where they belong, and not all get dropped into the
> same Inbox folder....

> "Dave Warren" <dave-usenet@djwcomputers.com> wrote in message
> news:0ifp25ph0da43240dfoqgvdi78s1msfcr7@4ax.com...
> > In message <OCQ5#hi5JHA.2456@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "Roady [MVP]"
> > <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> was claimed to have
> > wrote:
> >
> >>That was only for about a month or so. That limitation is no more and all
> >>Live Hotmail accounts should have free POP3 access now. If not, contact
> >>Live
> >>Hotmail Support.

>

>> It was far longer then a month, it was at least three months between
> > when I set up my first US based user and when I was able to start POPing
> > my own test account (I'm Canadian)
>

>> One of my users reported that as of last week they had a "POP3 service
> > is still being rolled out for members of your country" message received
> > from Hotmail support. I don't recall which country, although I could
> > probably look it up, somewhere in eastern Europe I believe.


>
 
#12
"Steven" <svaardt@googlesmail.com> wrote in message

news:#yS1v1E6JHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...


> Great stuff - if it it's going to be totally free via POP that's very
> commendable for Microsoft....
> what are the pop/smtp addresses that I should be using for hotmail a/c's
> ... or where should I find them ?


Apparently you haven't read the entire thread because I posted a link to

description. Here is it again:

http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49799.entry

Brian Tillman
 
D

Dave Warren

#13
In message <#yS1v1E6JHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "Steven"

<svaardt@googlesmail.com> was claimed to have wrote:


> Great stuff - if it it's going to be totally free via POP that's very
> commendable for Microsoft....


Microsoft is just trying to keep up with Gmail, nothing particularly

commendable about that.

A day late and a dollar short, but at least they're trying.
 
D

Dave Warren

#14
(I guess I could have answered the question too, sorry... )

In message <#yS1v1E6JHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "Steven"

<svaardt@googlesmail.com> was claimed to have wrote:


> what are the pop/smtp addresses that I should be using for hotmail a/c's ...
> or where should I find them ?


POP server: pop3.live.com (Port 995)

POP SSL required? Yes

User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example yourname@hotmail.com

Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows

Live

SMTP server: smtp.live.com (Port 25)

Authentication required? Yes (this matches your POP username and

password)

TLS/SSL required? Yes
 
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
#15
And who knows how long it will last... :)

"Dave Warren" <dave-usenet@djwcomputers.com> wrote in message

news:nitt25drekj3mopdr308geem491o70nl28@4ax.com...
> In message <#yS1v1E6JHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "Steven"
> <svaardt@googlesmail.com> was claimed to have wrote:
>
> >Great stuff - if it it's going to be totally free via POP that's very
> >commendable for Microsoft....


> Microsoft is just trying to keep up with Gmail, nothing particularly
> commendable about that.

> A day late and a dollar short, but at least they're trying.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

Top