Moving 2003 address book, contacts, and emails to Windows 7 on new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gitano-too

I am surprised that this is such an "issue". It seems to me that preserving and transferring "old" adddress books and contacts list should be a very basic, fundamental, "up front"OBLIGATION of a new piece of software like Windows 7/Outlook. Personally, I think it is despicable that so much time and effort should HAVE TO BE SPENT JUST FINDING OUT HOW TO accomplish this task,let alone actually doing it.

Here is the very STRAIGHTFORWARD, but apparently "cloaked in secrecy" problem I have:

I need to move my "old" address book and contacts, (and in fact emails), from my "old" computer's Outlook 2003 to my new computer's Outlook. I have looked on the Windows 7 "help" page, and it tells me I should look for files that have a ".wab" ("Windows address book") extension on the "old" computer. There are no such files. (Please don't tell me I don't have an "Address Book: I Most CERTAINLY do.)

I'd tell you what version of Windows 7 I'm running, but Microsoft has made that dificult to find also. I asked, (specifically, "What version of Windows 7 do I have?"), at several "help" pages and gotcompletely irrelevant responses. How simpler could I have asked for that information?

What I do have from my "old" computer are .pst files, .dat files, .ost files, and .oab files. At least those are all the files I can find associated with this endeavor.

So, here are my questions put as simply as I know how to put them:

1) How do I get the above pst, ost, dat, and oab files translated into what Windows 7 Outlook can use to preserve/move my address book, contacts info, and emails?

2) If those aren't the files I need to accomplish what SHOULD BE such a simple task,what and where are the ones I do need?

3) Once I find the files I need, how do I get the "new" computer's Outlook to "accept" them without trashing everything on the new computer's Outlook?

Thanks, for any help you can provide.

Paul

R

Russ Valentine

First of all, Outlook does not have an address book.

Second, you did not provide enough information to permit an accurate answer. I shall assume you re not connected to Exchange Sever. If so all Outlook your data is contained in a single file with a PST extension. I quite agree that Microosft provides no accurate information on how to migrate PST files correctly. However, the other posters here have provided that information countless times. Here is another repost of that information:

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

Note that much of the information on Microsoft's site is outdated and contains errors, particularly when applied to Outlook 2003 or 2007. Specifically:
1. Ignore any advice to copy your PST file to Outlook's default location to connect it to your profile. Doing so will often corrupt your Outlook profile. Instead you should copy it
anywhere BUT the default location and then open it within your Outlook profile using File > Open > Outlok data file...
2. Ignore any advice that tells you to use export or import to transfer Outlook data. That has never been sound advice, but the process has become too deeply flawed to be of any use. It actually loses information and corrupts your profile.

Russ Valentine

G

gitano-too

Thank you Russ.

WRT "However, the other posters here have provided that information countless times" and considering how many threads have been started in the past 24 hours on the subject, maybe the solutions should be "stickied".

Thanks for taking the time.

Paul

R

Russ Valentine

I agree. These forums leave a lot to be desired. I hope they figure out how to make them more useful.Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.