Unable to select contacts folder as an email Address Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gayle L.

After ungrading my husband's laptop to Windows 7 and MS Outlook 2007 I am unable to check the box to show his contacts as an e-mail Address Book. It is greyed out where the check mark should be placed and I am unable to select his contacts folder. I have read some of the previous answers, but don't know if this is a corruption issue or how to add the Outlook Address Book Service to his profile.

R

Russ Valentine

Hard to say since we have no idea how you migrated your data to the new installation. You did so incorrectly. What you did would be nice to know. It might help us figure out how you recover from your error.

Most migratation errors of this miagnitue require you to create a new Outlook profile and then migrate your data correctly. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:

Moving Outlook to a New Computer

http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

Note that some of the information on the Microsoft page is outdated and contains errors, particularly when applied to Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010. Specifically:

1. Ignore any advice to copy your PST file to Outlook's default location to connect it to your profile. Doing so will often corrupt your Outlook profile. Copy it anywhere BUT the default location and then open it within your Outlook profile.

2. Ignore any advice that tells you to use export or import to transfer an entire Outlook data file. That has never been sound advice, but the process has become too deeply flawed to be trusted.

Russ Valentine

E

Ezil Vinoth

Create a new profile for outlook and open the PST file the new profile.

Follow the link to create new profile.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

Once new profile is created, click on File> Open> outlook data file and open the old PST file.

Make this PST default and try to add the contacts in Address Book.

To make the PST default, Click on Tools> Account Settings> Data Files tab; highlight the second PST file and click on the tab "Set as Default" and close and re-open Outlook and check with contacts.

H

Hal Hostetler - Print-Imaging [MVP]

Please see these articles concerning the Outlook Address Book service:

" Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" check box is dimmed in Outlook Contact folder properties

Contact information does not appear in the address book in Outlook

Hal

www.kvoa.com -- KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.

Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

W

wxyz

OK, as painful as it may sound, I will relent to the fact that I need to creat a new " profile" and move all of my PST's to the new porofie in order to get the Contacts to start showing up in the address lists.

BACKGROUND - Was using XP-SP3 and Outlook 2003. Migrated to W7 using custom (Clean) install method and using Windows Easy Transfer toolas recommended in the W7 migration instructions. Installed Office 2007 (Office 2010 does not currently work with some of the 3rd party apps and web services I need to use)

On first use of Outlook it created a default profile (Personal) and found all of the .PST files. I reconfigured the email account parameters exactly as they were in 2003 and for the most part everything worked fine. There are seven (7) IMAP and one (1) POP3 accounts in the system. The default account is the POP3 account. The anomalies I have noticed are as follows:

1. There are two sets of .PST files. My Profile is named " Personal" and there is a set with the file name " Personalxxxxx.pst" and the other named " Persxxxxx.pst" , where xxxxx is the email account name. The two sets are being updated concurrently (whenever Outlook is opened or used, both sets have current Date Modified.) If I create a new profile to fix the Contacts file link problem, which .PST files do I associate with the new profile?

2. Even though I have the Send/Receive groups configured properly and set to check mail every 5 minutes, new mail does not always appear in the respective IMAP inbox automatically. If I click on an inbox, it performs an immediate send/receive and new items show up.

3. Even though the Send/Receive parameters for all accounts are set to download full messages and attachments, many times it only downloads the headers.

4. A new feature of O-2007 appears to be the capability to store IMAP sent items in the Sent Items folder of the account they were sent from. This was not available in O-2003. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be consistent - I still find sent messages in the default account Sent Items folder and have to move them to the correct folder.

Item #1 is the most pressing issue at this time, so any help in resolving the problem is greatly appreciated.

H

Hal Hostetler - Print-Imaging [MVP]

To begin with, you can't use the Easy Transfer tool to move an Outlook profile, it corrupts when you do. So,

1. You'll want to associate both .PST files with your new profile; they are not the problem, the profile is.

2., 3., and 4. These may all be due to the corrupt profile and will correct themselves with a new profile if they are.

5. Make sure you also add the Outlook Address Book service to the new proifile. Contacrs will not be available to the Address Book if this service isn't installed:

" Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" check box is dimmed in Outlook Contact folder properties

Contact information does not appear in the address book in Outlook

Hal

W

wxyz

Thanks Hal. I am curious as to why there are two PST files for each account. Interesting, one of the IMAP accounts only has one PST file. When I use Outlook to view the files via the Outlook " Account Settings" dialog, Data Files tab, only one PST shows up in the list fro each email account.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Unable to select hyperlinks received in emails Using Outlook 2
A Unable to save recurring Meeting to Documents folder due to error Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 365 - suddenly unable to send using Gmail POP3 Using Outlook 10
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
Q Unable to Sync Quicken reminder with Outlook 2016 64Bit Using Outlook 1
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
L Wierd Office 365 Contact unable to edit body of random contacts Using Outlook 5
X Unable to send an email from one account to another on same PC Using Outlook 2
Mark Foley Unable to subscribe to published calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
S Unable to Edit Contact Information in Certain Contact Folders Using Outlook 3
P Deleted Items - Unable to Iterate All of Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Unable to dismiss reminders from share point list calendar shared in Outlook Using Outlook 2
R Unable to install without email account Using Outlook 4
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
A Outlook 2016- unable to have all subfolders expanded when opening outlook Using Outlook 11
avant-guvnor Unable to view certain emails in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 16
M Unable to Configure Gmail Account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
D Unable to Send On Behalf of Another User Exchange Server Administration 0
J Unable to link email messages in BCM using a single microsoft office 365 account in outlook 2013 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
Tim King Outlook 365 unable to change accounts Using Outlook 0
R Unable to send mail using Cox.net Using Outlook 1
T Unable to 'Upload a file' using popup 'Browse' button Using Outlook 0
D Unable to add email address to contact Using Outlook 3
G Outlook calendar entry corrupted. Constant pop up when you open outlook. Unable to delete or remove. Using Outlook 2
O OL2000: Unable to create IMAP account Using Outlook 2
wallisellener Unable to reply/post/create new thread using Chrome BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
Rupert Dragwater unable to change font sizes in some replies Using Outlook 3
C Unable to see meeting attendees Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 5
M Unable to email from Word or Excel Using Outlook 11
O Unable to check name. Using Outlook 3
T Unable to create contacts subfolder in EAS profile Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
UncleBill Unable to delete items from gmail IMAP Trash using Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B Unable to search delegated mailfile Using Outlook 3
K Unable to activate QueryBuilder in Outlook 2010 (32bit) with Windows 7 (64bit) Using Outlook 1
C Unable to forward email with URL Using Outlook 2
R New computer, OL2010 unable to display shared calendar appointments Exchange Server Administration 3
S unable to send email from my second address (outlook 2007) Using Outlook 2
A "Unable to display the folder" error when accessing Group mailbox Using Outlook 0
C Outlook 2010, two exchange mailboxes configured.Unable to see 2ndrymeeting req Using Outlook 2
H Outlook 2010 unable to send iCloud account e-mail after iOS 7 upgrade Using Outlook 12
B Unable to apply rule on Exchange server functional account Exchange Server Administration 1
J Archives: Unable to locate emails Using Outlook 1
S Unable to send or reeceive email in new Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 0
B Unable to Accept meetings that are already Tentatively accepted Using Outlook 2
M Unable to read HTML Using Outlook 2
A Unable to send with attachments in Outlook 2013 (Exchange ActiveSync) Using Outlook 2
F Outlook 2010 unable to delete emails from scanner Using Outlook 1
T Unable to open msg files in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 11
R catalog Content Index failed-Unable to mount database.(hr=0x80004005,ec=-501) Exchange Server Administration 0
R problem with incomming e-mail I am unable to print full e-mail letter Using Outlook 1