Outgoing mail not sent - 'Sending' reported error (0x8004210B)'. Outlook 2007, XP, Hotmail

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bjoeran1

I have now spent 1 hour trying to find an answer to this question - all answers found relates to Outlook 2002 or 2003.

I am running Outlook 2007, Windows XP and have configured a hotmail account. I am using MS Outlook Connector (12.0.6423.1000) product id 95120000-0122-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE.
Incoming mail server: pop3.live.com
Outgoing mail server: smtp.live.com
User name: my hotmail address

Selecting "More settings" and then tab "Outgoing server" I have tried both having the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" ticked and un-ticked. Nothing helps. The outgoing mail sits in the Outbox.

The message I get is :

Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Antivirus program is AVG but I am not scanning outgoing messages.

What should I do? I have never had this to work. . . .

B

Brian Tillman

You have a discrepancy in your problem description. If you're using the Outlook Connector, you won't be using the POP/SMTP settings and if you're using the POP/SMTP settings, you're not using the Outlook Connector. Please verify what type of account you're using.

B

bjoeran1

Hi Brian

I am obviously completely ignorant :) Ok - when I open Outlook I see "Outlook Connector" in the menu bar - therefore I thought I was using that. When I - from the menu bar - select "Tools -> Account Setting" the window "Account Setting" is opened. I see two columns in the window - "Name" (in which I see my hotmail address) and "Type" where it says "POP/SMTP (send from this account by default)". The options I have is "New", "Repair", "Change" and "Remove". When I mark the hotmail account and click "Change" the "Change E-mail Settings" window is opened. Main sections in here are "User Information", "Server Information" (where I see "pop3.live.com for Incoming mail server and smtp.live.com as Outgoing mail server") and "Logon Information" (where I in "User Name" see my hotmail address and also field "Password" which is completed).

So what am I using? Should I uninstall something? What have I done wrong. . . . .

The ignorant Swedish Woman :)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You are using POP, no real need to change unless you want to. The advantage of the connector is that it allows you to get your hotmail calendar and contacts in outlook.
On to your problem - are you authenticating with the server? Go back into More Settings and check.
On Outgoing Mail Servers tab, select the My server requires authentication box. Most people will need to use the default option of Use same settings as my incoming server .
Click the Advanced tab, and under Server Port Numbers , enter the following information:
· In the Incoming mail (POP3) box, type 995 .
· In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box, type 587 .
· Under both Outgoing mail (SMTP) and Incoming mail (POP3), select the "requires secure connection (SSL) " check box. In Outlook 2007, choose Auto; use SSL for Outlook 2003

B

bjoeran1

Hi Diane,

Thanks for the answer! The "Auto" for outgoing server made it! Thank you very, very much!

J

jaboy jacob

please share the same solution for me also

iam also having the same iisue with me also

B

bjoeran1

Hi Jaboy,

This is what Diane wrote to me (can't you see that in the thread?):

"You are using POP, no real need to change unless you want to. The advantage of the connector is that it allows you to get your hotmail calendar and contacts in outlook.

On to your problem - are you authenticating with the server? Go back into More Settings and check.

On Outgoing Mail Servers tab, select the My server requires authentication box. Most people will need to use the default option ofUse same settings as my incoming server .

Click the Advanced tab, and under Server Port Numbers , enter the following information:
· In the Incoming mail (POP3) box, type 995 .
· In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box, type 587 .
· Under both Outgoing mail (SMTP) and Incoming mail (POP3), select the "requires secure connection (SSL) " check box. In Outlook 2007, choose Auto; use SSL for Outlook 2003"

V

VTSharpShooter

I have discovered that a malformed e-mail address as either recipient, CC or BCC can cause an 0x8004210B.

I have an XP Pro, SP3, and am using Outlook 2007. I received an e-mail from an associate, and every time I attempted to reply to it - it would fail to send with the 0x8004210B error.

In taking a close look at the "From" e-mail address, I noticed that it looked like this:
PersonName tds.net [PersonName@tds.net]

When I attempt to send to this address, or reply to an e-mail received from that address - I got the error. This problem was caused by the originator having an invalid value for "User Name:" in their e-mail client configuration (which some e-mail clients WILL allow) - they had their e-mail address as the user name except with a "space" instead of a "@".

When I sent to just PersonName@tds.net - everything was fine.

As an aside to this: I believe that if you use a similar malformed e-mail address as a CC or a BCC - you may get a 0x800CCC0B and the mail will not be sent either.

Regards,

VTSharpShooter

R

rlquack

Hi Diane,

I am getting the same errror. I have 3 different POP3 email accounts set up with my outlook. For some reason when using the webConnect Rocket 2.0 from T-Mobile for mobile internet access one of my accounts will not send email out and I get the same error as others here.

Issue : I have been using my godaddy email account for 2.5 years now and as soon as I plug in my web connect device to use it

This is the error I'm seing in the details when I try to send out from outlook.

Task 'Liberty - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Are there special changes or configurations I need to change within outlook, my pc firewall or the firewall on the connect device in order to have everything continue working like it does normally?

Status
Not open for further replies.