messages in the inbox disappear after opening another folder in outlook

• Thread starter Andyy Barr Procuctions
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andyy Barr Procuctions

Been using Outlook 2007 for several years and Windows 7 Pro for several months. As of yesterday, incoming e-mail disappears from the inbox folder when i open any of the other folders in Outlook. i've used the "Restore" funtion, checked the Outlook settings. I'm stumped, hope someone can help. Thanks.... Ed

B

Brian Tillman

Try opening Outlook once with the /cleanviews command switch. Press WinKey+R, then enter

outlook.exe /cleanviews

(being sure to include the space) in the Open field. Press Enter.

N

Niyamath Khan

Change the view of messages in Outlook. Open Outlook > View > Current View > Select Messages.

Verify if any rules are created in Outlook.

A

Andyy Barr Procuctions

Brian, that worked.... i love you man!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

A

Andyy Barr Procuctions

Brian...... Well, it worked for a couple of minutes, now Outlook will not open at all. When i closed Outlook and tried starting it again i get this error message >> Cannot open your default e-mail folders. Errors have been detected in the file C:/Users/******/Outlook.pst. << Then it says to go to "Office 12" and use Scanpst.exe to diagnose and repair, but Scanpst says "Outlook.pst does not exist, type in a valid filename". I don't like the idea of un-installing Office 2007 Pro and re-installing, but maybe that's what it will take. What do you think?

I've been searching for about 4 hours to find a solution, but no luck. Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

Brian...... Well, it worked for a couple of minutes, now Outlook will not open at all. When i closed Outlook and tried starting it again i get this error message >> Cannot open your default e-mail folders. Errors have been detected in the file C:/Users/******/Outlook.pst. << Then it says to go to "Office 12" and use Scanpst.exe to diagnose and repair, but Scanpst says "Outlook.pst does not exist, type in a valid filename". I don't like the idea of un-installing Office 2007 Pro and re-installing, but maybe that's what it will take. What do you think?

I've been searching for about 4 hours to find a solution, but no luck. Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

What type of email account do you use? Are you pointing scanpst to the correct folder location? Instructions are here: http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/scanpst.htm

A

Andyy Barr Procuctions

Diane..... Thank you so much!! I was able to find the pst file and Scanpst corrected the problems.

S

Songbird3820

The EXACT same thing happened to me beginning YESTERDAY - September 22, 2010. Any help would be appreciated!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The EXACT same thing happened to me beginning YESTERDAY - September 22, 2010. Any help would be appreciated!
what happened when you tried the solutions suggested in this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Inbox messages all disappear Using Outlook 3
R inbox messages disappear Using Outlook 3
S Re: Why don't email messages that I have moved to another folder disappear from my inbox folder? Using Outlook 0
F want inbox on toolbar to reference icloud messages Using Outlook 2
V Not displaying newest messages in Inbox Using Outlook 10
R IMAP & Outlook 2007: incoming messages still going to old Inbox. Using Outlook 3
D how to get inbox messages to appear before deleted file messages? Using Outlook 6
Commodore Unified inbox shows moved messages for a while Using Outlook 4
V Duplicate and triplicate messages in Inbox Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 20
Commodore Unified inbox or incoming messages view Using Outlook 27
T sent messages go to inbox Using Outlook 9
D Lost Inbox messages Using Outlook 2
O "Replied" messages not in "sent" box, but are appearing in my "inbox" from me Using Outlook 1
M creating multiple contacts for CONTACTS folders from multiple messages INBOX Using Outlook 4
D Lost email messages from inbox Using Outlook 0
W Macro to File Inbox Messages? Using Outlook 1
D User cannot move email messages within Outlook Inbox folder and sub-folders. Using Outlook 0
I Outlook moving random messages from folders back to the inbox Using Outlook 1
I copying messages from inbox to folder outside outlook Using Outlook 2
A Outlook no longer sends out messages ('Use Inbox Repair Tool') Using Outlook 2
O OUTLOOK 2007: How do I keep email messages I am opening from jumping to the top of my inbox? Using Outlook 2
S My outlook 2010 delivers duplicate messages to my inbox. How do I fix this? Using Outlook 3
R email messages disappearing from my Inbox Using Outlook 1
R Re: email messages disappearing from my Inbox Using Outlook 1
M OWA - Dead GUI, Won't open inbox messages. Exchange Server Administration 1
Y Just installed Outlook 2010: Can't see any sent or received messages in either Inbox/Sent Items or f Using Outlook 2
D Outlook inbox - lost all messages Using Outlook 1
P my inbox messages, disappers when junk folder is selected @msn the web interface... Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2007/iMap - Sent messages appear in inbox. Using Outlook 4
G Outlook 2010 is doing something to my Inbox messages without me acting on them. How do I fix this? Where are the messages?__ Using Outlook 2
R Inbox messages are disappearing Using Outlook 1
D Changed email account in Outlook 2010, but Inbox still reflects old email address and messages Using Outlook 5
1 What is the meaning of this icon next to some messages in my outlook 2007 inbox? Cannot find any inf Using Outlook 2
C Unable to delete messages from Inbox in Outlook 2003, only with my new email address. Using Outlook 1
W OWA 2010: Can't delete messages from inbox Exchange Server Administration 12
F Sync inbox messages hotmail Plus Using Outlook 1
N Outlook 2010 - deleted items reappear messages move back to the inbox Using Outlook 2
T Prevent Task Accepted and task update messages from deleting in Task OL2007 inbox. (I received a task update message in my Inbox, but it disappeared.) Using Outlook 7
C Can't see Inbox or Sent messages but they are there Using Outlook 2
T Prevent Task Accepted and task update messages from deleting in Task OL2007 inbox. (I received a ta Using Outlook 5
S Sent and received messages do not appear in Inbox or Sent Items Using Outlook 1
W Simple messages in my Inbox are almost 1 MB in size, why is this so? Using Outlook 1
H Messages don't show up in my inbox. Using Outlook 1
T Messages don't appear in Inbox Using Outlook 5
L Outlook does something with inbox messages after 7 days Using Outlook 2
P empty inbox - new messages Using Outlook 1
M Blank Messages Throughout Inbox linked to old deleted messages in hotmail Using Outlook 2
D Deleted email messages showing in inbox? Using Outlook 4
S Trouble with Outlook email: No 'Inbox' messages shown Using Outlook 2
W MS Outlook 2007: Messages in InBox disapper but are there when I search 'All Mail Items'. Using Outlook 3