Outlook 2010, File Attachments, not being received by recipients, replaced with "winmail.dat" attach

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NS_Bob

I have read all about this in other threads and I have everything set to HTML, not RTF. I cannot understand why Outlook 2010 cannot handle attachments properly.

To prove this point, I sent myself a message with an image attachment using Eudora in HTML format (yes, old but reliable and robust email client), and I received it in Outlook 2010 with attachment, fine.

I then forward this same message back to myself (attachment included) and picked it up in Eudora again, but the attachment is missing replaced with this annoying winmail.dat file attachment.

After purchacing Office 2010 Home & Business, I was going to give Outlook a really good try as my only email client but becuase of this apparent " flaw" in Outlook, I am going to stick with my tried and true Eudora Pro 7 unless someone can tell me how this annoying attachment problem in Outlook 2010 can be remedied.

This all came to light when I was forwarding a message I received in Outlook 2010 with a Word document attached and forwarded it onto 4 other friends and all they received was the winmail.dat file. Very annoying.

Thanks, Bob

N

Natasha Dsouza

Does Outlook uses any email scanning feature integrated by the anti-virus installed on the computer?

Try the steps given here and verify if it fixes the issue.

N

NS_Bob

In one word, no, this does not fix the problem.

It is insane that I should have to know what email client is used by the recipient so I can set my Outlook so the message they receive from me can be read by them.

If I have to do this then there is a real problem with Outlook that should be addressed. I will be sticking with Eudora Pro for the time being.

Thanks, Bob

V

Vinay - G

If the recipient is in your address book

1. Open up your Outlook Address Book, either by clicking on the Address Book icon or by choosingTools->Address Book Select the recipient's entry in your address book and open up their Properties, either by clicking on the Properties button or double- clicking on the recipient's entry.

2. Select the " Name" tab in the Properties dialog window.

3. Check the box at the bottom of the window that says " Send email using plain text only" .

4. Click the " OK" button.

For more info on how e-mail message formats affect Internet e-mail messages in Outlook refer to the article below:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061

H

Hal Hostetler - Print-Imaging [MVP]

I don't suppose there's any chance your email account is with an Exchange Server is there? Exchange Servers can be set to override the Outlook default message format and send everything in RTF. Why any self respecting Exchange Server administrator would usee this setting is beyond me, however, it is one other way that RTF can be sent when it isn't supposed to be.

Hal

www.kvoa.com -- KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.

Live at Hot Licks -www.badnewsbluesband.com

N

NS_Bob

Re Vinay's reply, selecting Properties on the name tab opens the complete Contact information and there is nobox at the bottom of the window that says " Send email using plain text only" . I have over 300 Contacts and I doubt I'll be doing this for every Contact. I have the Outlook Mail Options set to send in HTML format.

Hal, no Outlook is not through an Exchange Server, just a normal stand alone, home business setting.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in how Outlook is handling my attachments as detailed in my first posting here. I wish someone would take the torch like Qualcomm did years ago with Eudora and develop an updated Eudora type email client which is simple without all the " bells & whistles" of Outlook.

Later, Bob

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Honestly, switching all of your contacts to plain text only is not the solution.

See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/alwaysrtf.asp for causes and places to look. I'm not sure if the registry change works with Outlook 2010, but I'd certainly try it before I'd change the contacts to plain text. Also, if you accidently had RTF selected at one time anyone you sent mail to could be in the autocomplete list marked to use RTF - removing names from the list or clearing it completely (in File, Options, Mail tab - the option is about halfway down the Mail page)

Note: If you do choose to change contacts, you only need to change the ones who don't use Outlook.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
If the recipient is in your address book

1. Open up your Outlook Address Book, either by clicking on the Address Book icon or by choosingTools->Address BookSelect the recipient's entry in your address book and open up their Properties, either by clicking on the Properties button or double- clicking on the recipient's entry.

2. Select the " Name" tab in the Properties dialog window.

3. Check the box at the bottom of the window that says " Send email using plain text only" .

4. Click the " OK" button.

For more info on how e-mail message formats affect Internet e-mail messages in Outlook refer to the article below:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061

I'm not sure what version of Outlook these instructions are for, but its not for Outlook 2010 that the OP is using.

N

NS_Bob

Hi Diane,

To quote part of your reply " Note: If you do choose to change contacts, you only need to change the ones who don't use Outlook" .

I don't mean to make fun of this suggestion but for me to try to determine who I send messages to uses Outlook is not something I am going to do, nor should I have to do to make Outlook 2010 work properly for me.

Outlook should work properly handling attachments " right out of the box" and nobody should have to edit the Registry to make it work as it should. In my view this is an area that has to be fixed with an update.

I am disappointed with Outlook 2010 as it has so much going for it but if it can't handle attachments and forwarding attachments as it should, I am sticking with Eudora as I have since the days of DOS 3.1, and that goes back a ways.

Thanks, Bob

S

Swamp Fox 032

I have the exact same problem. Windows 7 Professional, Outlook Professional 2010 on an HP i7. Have tried all the usual fixes except changing registry. Apparently this problem has been around since at least 2000. This is the first time I have had it and I have been at this since before DOS 1.1 Nothing and I mean nothing has been able to stop this problem. I have over 130 names on a distribution list. I can't live with this. It's not annoying, it is a disaster.

I need a fix that works a month ago.

NOTHING should go out as rtf. RTF needs to be locked out of Outlook permanently and once and for all. Not let Outlook decide. Outlook decides to send rtf.

HTML or plain Text, nothing else. Who uses rtf in e-mail? Give us the option to change e-mail editors. Expression web 4 html editor. Anything!

The reason I use all Microsoft software is so everything works together, not conspires to foul things up. What ever bit needs to be set to stop rtf ain't working. Looks like if you send rtf one time you can't get rid of it no matter what. The hot fix doesn't work, won't install on 2010. Stopping cascading style sheets doesn't work. purging and shutting off the cache doesn't work.

McAfee complete scan finds nothing. Hard drive failed on the new HP and had to reinstall everything. New Hard Drive made no difference. There is no pattern to the far end servers. AOL gets it just the same as COX CABLE. Verizon on my end can't be that stone age as to cause it. Verizon tech support? What tech support? The sent e-mail in my sent folder don't show rtf.

I don't get when I send to myself.

Web Master, BS Computer Information Systems

Druid Consulting.

S

Swamp Fox 032

Continued:

I have installed Thunderbird with a separate e-mail address. Everything I forward to myself at Thunderbird has winmail.dat. Most that I originate go O.K.

S

Swamp Fox 032

Continued:

re: e-mail to one of my users
The problem is between MS Word and Outlook.
As far as I know all e-mail client programs have their own editor except
Outlook. Outlook uses MS Word for it's editor and there is no way to change
it. The default text format for Word is rtf, but it will do a dozen
different formats including plain text and html if you tell it to. Outlook
should tell Word what format to send forwards and all the defaults are set
to html. Something has got Word pissed off and it refuses to change the
damned format. Or Outlook is pissed off at Word and they are not talking to
each other.
I get e-mail from three providers. Verizon from my old dsl service in
California that I don't seem to be able to get rid of. KTIS in Missouri
(Kingdom Telephone, Internet and Barn Door Service) and AT&T from the web
site. The web site and KTIS were set to forward all e-mail to the Verizon
address and Verizon went to Outlook. Worked O.K. for years.
I downloaded a new e-mail client, ThunderBird from Mozilla, It's free. It is
set up to get e-mail from KTIS and new e-mail address at the web site
forwarded to KTIS. Rant Ring is now isolated from Verizon and Outlook. It
works now. ZAPAROONIE, It's Outlook's problem. Forwarding anything from the
Verizon side to the ktis side comes up windmills.dat.

S

Swamp Fox 032

NS_Bob, you gave up too easy.

Apparently this is not a common problem.

I went to MS Tech support and they fixed the problem by editing the registry like was suggested.

I don't know enough about regedit to mess with the registry.

Tech support was good to work with. No problems.

Non the less shouldn't have had this problem in the first place. I don't know how people who don't know anything about computers can deal with these kind of problems. I think they just go nuts and you never hear from them again.

IT'S FIXED.

N

NS_Bob

Hi Swamp Fox,

I am glad to hear you have your problem fixed and like you I am not familiar with editing the registry to be comfortable going in there to change things. Did MS support use the remote access to repair this for you? How did you contact them for free support?

Thanks, Bob

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hi Swamp Fox,

I am glad to hear you have your problem fixed and like you I am not familiar with editing the registry to be comfortable going in there to change things. Did MS support use the remote access to repair this for you? How did you contact them for free support?

Thanks, Bob

You mean the registry fix to disable RTF? I have .reg files you can download and run athttp://www.slipstick.com/problems/alwaysrtf.asp#doit - you can open the reg file in notepad to look at it before running it.

S

Swamp Fox 032

Hello all,

Bob, Dianne, I have Office Professional 2010. 1 year tech support was included. I understand other products have 90 day tech support.

This is the first time I have ever had to go to MS tech support to solve a problem. I used MS since before windows. I have a DOS 1.1 disk somewhere.

I went as far as attempting to install the hotpatch fix on the link below. The install failed. Then there was a question of if the fix applied to ver 2010 since the page header says 2007, hot fix failed and if I worked the regedit fix could it do more harm than good? There are no instruction as to how to back out of the fix. I have no wish to completely destroy windows by being too bold with the keyboard.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958012#letmefixit

I worked with tech support in chat and they did fix the problem remotely. I suggest you use chat, much easier to understand. You have to go through the login routine here. Tech support will have to down load and install remote access to your computer. No problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?RDPATH=dm;en-us;select&target=assistance

They did everything I did including attempting the hotfix which failed for them too. Then they did the regedit routine and that cured the problem.

I think this problem has more to do with locking out an option used by SharePoint. Voting buttons etc. Why it would pop up if you do not have SharePoint installed is a mystery. Possibly Share point has a default to rtf.

Make sure tech support understands if you send html from your Outlook to their Outlook they will not see the problem since Outlook can read rtf. Even Outlook Express can not read rtf. Show them the screen in your other e-mail client with winmail.dat attachment. I sent them link to this forum string. Make them read the whole thing so they understand. Don't let them blow it off as your other e-mail client's problem. Once they get the picture they are good to work with.

note: run has been moved to accessories in windows 7 to run regedit.

It's the problems that make life interesting. Fixing Computer Problems is just another electronic game.

Hope this helps.

www.Druid-Consulting.com

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The hotfix is for Outlook 2007 only. The mr fixit in that KB article is also for Outlook 2007 only (the office version # is in the reg key so you need a different key for each version of outlook).

I don't know what sharepoint option you speak of (there is nothing to lock out), but yes, sharepoint contacts linked to Outlook always use RTF. THis has nothing to do with the problem though.

Helpful hint: bring up run either by using Windows key + R keyboard shortcut or type regedit in the Start search field on Vista and Win7's start menu. :)

N

NS_Bob

Hi Swamp Fox,

I really appreciate your understanding of my problem (and was yours) and will contact MS Support as you suggested and let them remotely play with my registry.

Like you I was also brought up on DOS 3.1 and all the variants since on an IBM XT clone so we are both not new to computers and Windows problems.

Thanks for your help, Bob

S

Swamp Fox 032

SharePoint, Perhaps I misunderstood the references to TNEF coding re: www.slipstick.com/problems/alwaysrtf.asp

I thought it referred to SharePoint. None the less I now know more about this than I ever wanted to know.

The problem is fixed and hopefully NS_BOB will be able to resolve his problem as well.

I can now go back to being happily oblivious to what goes on in the registry.

Cheers

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
SharePoint, Perhaps I misunderstood the references to TNEF coding re: www.slipstick.com/problems/alwaysrtf.asp

I thought it referred to SharePoint. None the less I now know more about this than I ever wanted to know.

That applies only if you link a sharepoint contacts library to outlook and send mail using those contacts. If you aren't sending mail from a sharepoint contacts library, it does not apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
G Outlook 2010 PST File Using Outlook 1
Michael Chiasson PST file shows 300+MB in Windows Explorer, but only 250kb in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
M Can't open same msg file more than once at the same time in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
S Outlook 2010 trying to default Data file to outlook.com calendar Using Outlook 6
A File - Save Attachments does nothing in Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2010 ... Using Outlook 3
K Editing a .PRF file for new users after deploying Outlook 2010 with MSP Using Outlook 5
S How to set Company as default "File As" in Contacts for Outlook 2010 ? Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2010 - Keep getting "Corrupted File" Msgs Using Outlook 4
V Outlook 2010 IMAP Sent Items some items appear in Outlook Data File Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2010 .pst file backup Using Outlook 2
W Cannot delete Outlook 2010 data file Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2010 won't configure exchange account, 0kb .ost file Exchange Server Administration 5
P Multiple accounts and single Calendar file (Outlook 2010, using Connector) Using Outlook 1
M Rules & Alerts not appearing in the File Tab (outlook 2010) Using Outlook 1
W Copy individual file folders in Outlook 2010 PST to a My Documents folder Using Outlook 4
G Outlook 2010 pst and NK2 file locations Using Outlook 0
J New setup of MS Office 2010 and Outlook on new PC but have old .pst file from previous PC Dilema Using Outlook 2
W To stop outlook 2010 to open my browser at file:///C:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Using Outlook 1
T Merged file in Outlook 2010 could not be updated Using Outlook 2
H Import contacts from Outlook.pst file into Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
C Missing pst file for Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
N Import Contacts Excel CSV File into Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
K Outlook PST file created in 2010 can be used in 2007? Using Outlook 2
S Account Settings URL in Outlook 2010 - File - Info Exchange Server Administration 3
M Problem Importing .pst file into Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2010 Insert file issue Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2010, mail doesn't go to my outlook.pst file Using Outlook 2
M Reduce Size of OST File generated by Outlook Connector (Outlook 2010) Using Outlook 3
M Can't backup Outlook 2010 - Locked File Error Message Using Outlook 4
M Transfer Outlook 2007 PST file to new computer running Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
L When I open a message in Outlook 2010 defaults to File tab Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 - get 'corrupt file' message when I try to open attachments (office documents) Using Outlook 2
D Can I open an Outlook 2010 pst file in Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007? Using Outlook 4
C Issues with ctearing mail merge file with Outlook 2010 & Win 7 Using Outlook 1
C Is Office Outlook 2010 compatible with the Office 2003 PST file? Using Outlook 2
N Transfer Outlook 2007 data file to Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2010- Viewing HTML email opens File Download dialogs Using Outlook 2
T PST file set up for Outlook 2010 and Gmail IMAP Using Outlook 1
B Missing .ost file in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
O Outlook 2010: Rule to move sent emails doesn't start if I Use "Send To" command on a file on desktop Using Outlook 3
T Outlook 2010 gives an Outlook PST File Not Found error on Windows 7 32 bit. Using Outlook 1
E I imported my outlook 2000 data file (.pst file) into outlook 2010 and lost all of my calendar categ Using Outlook 1
R Please Help: How to format muti-line address in Excel file before importing to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010 - Cached/Offline Mode and Local File Sever Using Outlook 2
E importing Excel file into Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
M .pst file cannot be found. Outlook Express 2010 file marsden24.comcast.net.pst I can't find any . Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 pst file still complaining about 2GB size limit Using Outlook 4
P Want to keep original .pst file as main email file after upgrading to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1