RE: can I move archive folders to another hard drive?

  • Thread starter RWR3YXJkQWtpdGE
  • Start date Views 2,165
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RWR3YXJkQWtpdGE

Question? In theory, could this Archive link live on a server within the

network and not necissarily on a local drive. IE: creating a static mapping

in the login script and pint the Archive file to point to say,

\\server1\userfolder

Thak you

"Miazike" wrote:


> I would like to move my archive folders to another (larger) hard drive
> because my C drive is small. I would still like to be able to open the
> archive folder so I need to be able to see it in the folder list in Outlook.
 
S

SmhlYWRsZXk

Yes it can reside on a network drive. I have all of my users archive file

going to their personal drive on the server so it can be backed up at night.

"EdwardAkita" wrote:


> Question? In theory, could this Archive link live on a server within the
> network and not necissarily on a local drive. IE: creating a static mapping
> in the login script and pint the Archive file to point to say,
> \\server1\userfolder

> Thak you

> "Miazike" wrote:
>
> > I would like to move my archive folders to another (larger) hard drive
> > because my C drive is small. I would still like to be able to open the
> > archive folder so I need to be able to see it in the folder list in Outlook.
 
D

DL

Which of course is an unsupported configeration

"Jheadley" <Jheadley> wrote in message

news:057DE943-E590-4E22-8688-059206F49C03@microsoft.com...
> Yes it can reside on a network drive. I have all of my users archive file
> going to their personal drive on the server so it can be backed up at
> night.

> "EdwardAkita" wrote:
>
> > Question? In theory, could this Archive link live on a server within the
> > network and not necissarily on a local drive. IE: creating a static
> > mapping
> > in the login script and pint the Archive file to point to say,
> > \\server1\userfolder
>

>> Thak you
>

>> "Miazike" wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to move my archive folders to another (larger) hard drive
> > > because my C drive is small. I would still like to be able to open the
> > > archive folder so I need to be able to see it in the folder list in
> > > Outlook.
 
T

TGlhIEJhcnJvdw

I have two offices with a shared network and I am currently handicapped by

not being able to see my personal files or archived files at both work

stations. How do I move my personal and .pst files to a shared drive? Is

this somehow less secure?
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Lia Barrow" <Lia Barrow> wrote in message

news:46DE8E58-4AF3-480C-96FD-1A42C84F8EBC@microsoft.com...


> I have two offices with a shared network and I am currently handicapped by
> not being able to see my personal files or archived files at both work
> stations. How do I move my personal and .pst files to a shared drive? Is
> this somehow less secure?


PSTs on network shares are not supported and can lead to data lose and PST

corruption. PSTs are, by nature, intended to be used locally and by only a

single Outlook instance.

--
 
G

Gordon

"Lia Barrow" <Lia Barrow> wrote in message

news:46DE8E58-4AF3-480C-96FD-1A42C84F8EBC@microsoft.com...
> I have two offices with a shared network and I am currently handicapped by
> not being able to see my personal files or archived files at both work
> stations. How do I move my personal and .pst files to a shared drive? Is
> this somehow less secure?


MS do not recommend putting pst files on a networked drive. It's one of the

quickest ways I know (from personal experience) to corrupted files and data

loss.

Something here might help:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.asp

Asking a question?

Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,

your OS, Service Pack level

and the FULL contents of any error message(s)
 
T

TGlhIEJhcnJvdw

Thanks Gordon for the link!

I guess I should specify that I am running Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 2002 Service Pack 2 on one computer and a newer version of the XP on

the other.

"Gordon" wrote:



> "Lia Barrow" <Lia Barrow> wrote in message
> news:46DE8E58-4AF3-480C-96FD-1A42C84F8EBC@microsoft.com...
> > I have two offices with a shared network and I am currently handicapped by
> > not being able to see my personal files or archived files at both work
> > stations. How do I move my personal and .pst files to a shared drive? Is
> > this somehow less secure?


> MS do not recommend putting pst files on a networked drive. It's one of the
> quickest ways I know (from personal experience) to corrupted files and data
> loss.
> Something here might help:
> http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.asp

> > Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

>
 
J

JLN

I appreciate the recommendations. I tried what was mentioned here and did

successfully move the archive folders to my personal portable drive. Now the

problem is that I can't actually access any of them. I can see the folders,

but am told the disk is full when I try to access (of course the disk isn't

full - has 244 gb still open on it). So clearly, I have some other sort of

problem and need help. I am guessing it is an access problem (which I don't

understand since it is my personal drive and I've never had that problem

before), but I don't know how to fix it and would appreciate some help from

anyone willing to try to walk me through it.

j

"Lia Barrow" wrote:


> Thanks Gordon for the link!

> I guess I should specify that I am running Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> Version 2002 Service Pack 2 on one computer and a newer version of the XP on
> the other.

> "Gordon" wrote:
>
> > "Lia Barrow" <Lia Barrow> wrote in message
> > news:46DE8E58-4AF3-480C-96FD-1A42C84F8EBC@microsoft.com...
> > > I have two offices with a shared network and I am currently handicapped by
> > > not being able to see my personal files or archived files at both work
> > > stations. How do I move my personal and .pst files to a shared drive? Is
> > > this somehow less secure?

> > MS do not recommend putting pst files on a networked drive. It's one of the
> > quickest ways I know (from personal experience) to corrupted files and data
> > loss.
> > Something here might help:
> > http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.asp
> > > > Asking a question?
> > Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> > your OS, Service Pack level
> > and the FULL contents of any error message(s)
> >
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top