exporting Contacts to a CSV file

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sulasno

When exporting Contacts to a CVS file, email addresses are not included; similarly when importing a CVS to a Contact folder, email addresses are not included

Dual boot WinXP Pro SP3 with Win7

S

Sulasno

The (main) Contacts folder is empty since I put all the contacts into sub folders of Contacts;

I created a test entry in the Contacts folder (pst) and export it to a xls file (my mistake in the original post; file should be an xls and not cvs) The contact name is exported but the email address is not exported; I created another dummy entry in the xls file with name and email; again the email is not imported into the Contacts.

I did not fiddle with the mapping, leaving everything as default

Dual boot WinXP Pro SP3 with Win7

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3

One thing when it comes to <email addresses> and the "export" side of things:

If the email address is not resolved (appears underlined when you open a contact item) - it will not export via the Outlook wizard.

However, suspect that your issue stems from the statement "I did not fiddle with the mapping...........". The quickest way to ensure that things won't work the way you expect is to let things be done for you. Manually mapping the fields you want to import or export takes only a few extra seconds and ensures that the fields you want <will> be selected. There is no benefit ensuring that you "match" the data column field names to the Outlook field names - waste of time and effort and in the scheme of things - doesn't save any time but introduces the possibility that the field names may not be an exact and hence - not be "auto-selected".

That said, when it comes to email addresses, also important to map the email address field to the correct component (on import). When looking at the fields that can be imported or exported to/from Outlook, you will find three primary Email address fields (each with a plus sign beside them) - these fields (E-mail, E-mail 2, and E-mail 3) each represent 3 component parts (E-mail Address, E-mail Type, and E-mail Display Name). Click on the plus sign for the E-mail address group you want to use (most commonly - E-mail) and ensure that you actually map to/from the "E-mail Address" field.

Unless you are importing an email address type that is other than SMTP (name@domain.com) - the E-mail Type field should be left alone - it will be filled in automatically via the import process (set to a value of SMTP). Map an invalid value to the E-mail Type field on import and the email address in the contact item will be useless.

Whether or not you import a value to the E-mail Display Name field is your choice. If you do not map a value to this field, the import process will fill it in using the default value that would otherwise be entered into that field via the Outlook UI using whatever default format applies for the version of Outlook in use.

One thing is absolutely certain, take a few extra split seconds to ensure that things are set the way you want them to and the Outlook import/export process is flawless for what it is designed to do. The actual import/export process has remained the same since Outlook '2000 (and possibly '98 - too long ago) thru '2010. The easiest format to deal with is CSV or MS Access. Excel formats can become a pain especially if the file has been provided to you via a 3rd party and/or you are not familiar with "Named Ranges".

"

Status
Not open for further replies.