Upgrading from Outlook 2007 to 2010: Calendar Reminders Are Lost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Saundra

I upgraded from OL2007 to OL2010 a week or two ago. Actually, Office 2010 was a clean install because I lost a hard drive between ordering & receiving Office 2010. After installing, I just opened the original (2007) *.pst file since I had a current backup.

I just noticed today that my Calendar Reminders are missing -- yikes! What did I do wrong & how do I get the hundreds of previously set reminders back? This is a pretty big disaster for me since I rely extensively on the scores of Reminders I had set to keep me on track,

TIA!

R

Russ Valentine

Provide more information. You said you opened your previous PST file. At what point did you do so? Did you let Outlook 2010 create a new PST file before you opened your old one? If so, how did you set your old file as the default?Russ Valentine

S

Saundra

Thanks for the reply. I wish I would have noticed the missing Reminders sooner so that I could more accurately recall how I did things, but it wasn't until I almost missed an appointment today that I noticed the Reminders were absent.

IIRC, I started Outlook for the first time & opted out of setting up any email accounts at that time. But, since I started Outlook, that would mean I allowed Outlook 2010 to create a new PST, yes? Once Outlook opened, I set up my IMAP email account. I think (but I'm not sure) I then closed Outlook, renamed the old primary POP PST file to Outlook.OLD and moved all my pst files (I have quite a few, although only the main non-IMAP one has a calendar) to AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook. Then, I unfortunately can't recall which order I did things in to get that data file to be the default, although I suspect I likely deleted the existing Outlook.pst file, renamed Outlook.OLD to Outlook.pst, started Outlook, and then set that as the default.

If it helps, the POP PST data file that's being used has a creation date of the date of my hard drive crash on 6/21/2010 (fortunately, I had warning & was able to do an immediate backup before the drive completely failed) rather than the date I reinstalled the OS & installed Office 2010 (6/30/2010).

Saundra

R

Russ Valentine

What a mess. No wonder you have no reminders. Nor do we have any information that would permit a solution. If I can read your explanation correctly, you are now using an IMAP account? And yet the file you tried to migrate was from a POP account? Explain more clearly what you attempted here and why you thought it should work.Russ Valentine

S

Saundra

Thanks for the suggestion, Ben -- unfortunately, it didn't help. All the Calendar entries (either individual occurrences or or series) that had previously been set with Reminders now show " None."

S

Saundra

I'm sorry for not being clearer: in Outlook 2007, I had a PST file for my POP email -- that's the PST that had my Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks as well. I also had a PST for my IMAP email. And, I have a lot of other PST (sent/received emails only) files going back to 1998 that don't get mail delivery -- that's how I opted long ago to archive stuff so that I could easily find specific previous correspondence using keywords -- I had to come up with some strategy the Outlook file sizes were more limited. And, I've not progressed since then since it worked well for me.

When I installed Office 2010, I just recreated my (non-Exhange) IMAP account since all that stuff lives on the server, anyway.

It's the POP PST that had my Calendar. After opening that PST in Outlook, all my reminders are missing, although all the entries are still there. But, for all the series and occurrences, the Reminders are all showing " None."

Now, I do still have the original POP PST file I can recover from the disk image -- would that help? If so, what's the correct procedure for getting Outlook 2010 to use it since I apparently did it wrong the first time? Or . . . could I try importing just the Calender (assuming that's possible) into the PST I've been using for the last couple of weeks?

R

Russ Valentine

You should be fine then. Just create a new Outlook profile from scratch. Fortunately, Outlook 2010 now allows you to connect to a previous PST file as you create a new profile and before it creates its own new default PST file. So do that and point it at the correct PST file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918&Product=out2003

Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.