Exchange 2007 - How to configure the autodiscover service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NTx Beta

I'm using BETA2.

What do I have to do to get Autodiscover working?

I enabled Outlook Anywhere on the CAS Server, but the autodiscover.xml file on the CAS Server is still empty...

Shouldn't the RPC/HTTP config(besides other settings) appear in the XML file?

I can't find anything in the helpfile...

Thanks for your answers!

Christian Schindler

B

Ben Winzenz

Autodiscover is not the same thing as Outlook Anywhere.  Outlook Anywhere = RPC/HTTP.

Autodiscover is the ability to publish an xml file that tells Outlook how to configure itself.

If you do a get-outlookprovider from MSH, do you have any listed?

If you look in IIS Manager, do you see an Autodiscover virtual directory under the default website?

The autodiscover.xml file is also just a placeholder file.

N

NTx Beta

Ben,

thanks for your answer.

I know that RPC/HTTP and Autodiscover are two different things.

But if I configure RPC/HTTP on the CAS, according to all the presentations, Outlook 2007 should get

the RPC/HTTP config automaticaly via the autodiscover service(xml-file).

Yes, I have three entries listed when I execute get-outlookprovider. And yes, there's the autodiscover

V-dir in IIS-Manager - and it contains all the .aspx, etc files...

I also configured the outlookprovider to not use ssl(which was necessary in beta1)...no success...

Maybe it's simply a missunderstanding of how the automatic client config should work.

Maybe someone can explain...

Thanks!

Christian Schindler

B

Ben Winzenz

ok, now more importantly, if you do get-outlookprovider, are any of the 3 entries listed associated with a server (see my below example)?  When I installed Beta2, I believe there were either 2 or 3 outlook providers listed, but none of them were associated with a server.  As you can see below, you can use SSL with Beta2...

[MSH] C:\>Get-OutlookProvider

Name                       Server                          SSL
----                             ------                              -EXCH                       DEVE12                     True

If you need to associate one with your server, you should be able to type

set-outlookprovider exch -server yourserver

N

NTx Beta

ok, that's a good point. I'll have a look at that.

thank you!

Christian Schindler

N

NTx Beta

Thanks Ben!

That fixed it! None of the providers was associated with a server...

Christian Schindler

L

leetheroy

Hello Ben

Please can you tell me the difference between the outloop providers EXCH and EXPR

in what context these two providers are user. Is there a major difference between these two

J

Jesper Jorgensen

The difference is that EXCH is for use with MAPI mail clients, while EXPR is for legacy web services.

R

Raymond van der Horst

Name Server SSL
---- ------ -EXCH DEVE12 True

How can I set SSL true?

S

Shailendra Dewal

Hi Ben

You have provided valuable information in this thread.

I am having a problem in configuring autodiscovery service. I am unable to bind the CA server with EXCH. It doesnt update the binding after running the command set-outlookprovider -id exch -server exchange. How can i check what is wrong. I am using final version of exchange 2007.

Thanks Mate

B

Bennywmy

I am getting the following error message from Outlook 2007 when performing a send/receive. 15:02:18 Microsoft Exchange offline address book

15:02:18                                 Not downloading Offline address book files.  A server (URL) could not be located.

15:02:18                0X8004010F

After trace the OAB gerneration process and publish to the OAB virtual web site is successful. I just find that the autodiscover.xml is not correct and nothing inside this file. it means the autodiscover service not generating new autodiscover.xml 

Any can help fix this?

the result of get-outlookprovider | format-text

CertPrincipalName :
Server            : dvn-hk-mail2007
TTL               : 1
AdminDisplayName  :
ExchangeVersion   : 0.1 (8.0.535.0)
Name              : EXCH
DistinguishedName : CN=EXCH,CN=Outlook,CN=AutoDiscover,CN=Client Access,CN=DVN-HK,CN
Identity          : EXCH
Guid              : e28d743f-c65e-48bd-a486-9a5d3a6f8270
ObjectCategory    : dvngroup.com/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-Auto-Discover-Config
ObjectClass       : {top, msExchAutoDiscoverConfig}
WhenChanged       : 6/11/2007 5:11:10 PM
WhenCreated       : 5/23/2007 2:05:20 PM
OriginatingServer : DVN-HK-AD2007.dvngroup.com
IsValid           : True

Thanks

B

benhadad

I find it strange that your

Server            : dvn-hk-mail2007

and

OriginatingServer : DVN-HK-AD2007.dvngroup.com

are not the same, does that matter?

N

nahmed_ndvr

Hi, I'm trying to get Outlook2007 and Exchange 2007 working together for our remote users who are having issues coming from misconfigured autodiscover service.

I have followed a lot of the threads and tried various things to see if I can resolve the problem but I am still having the same problem with free/busy times not showing.  Our Exchange 2007 was setup about a year ago by an external company and recently we have moved to Outlook2007 for our remote users.  We have working Outlook Anywhere but I think our Exchange was never configured for autodiscover service, or at least not configured all the way.

This is what I have so far, our DNS for autodiscover.domainname.com now points to our firewall's NAT for HTTP/rpc inbound and goes to the Exchange box.  Initially when I tried the "test autoconfiguration" on the external client, it was failing on everything. Now it passes on the 2nd check, where it looks at autodiscover to HTTPS and the results page shows some information; now this is where I think the server is misconfigured. When I run the test from inside the network, it has the FQDN for the Exchange server, so it states https://servername.activedirectory.domain.com and has the various things for Availability Server, OOF, OAB, UM, etc. for RPC. 

For HTTP, it has

server: mail.domainname.com

loginname: my login

SSL: yes

Mutual Authentication: Yes

Auth Package: NTLM

Certificate Principal Name: msstd:mail.domainname.com

Now I have run the same test from remote laptop and it shows the exact same information for RPC and HTTP. I'm thinking, shouldn't RPC show how it reaches the server from the outside and not the internal FQDN with servername and active directory? Also, for our OWA, we use webmail.domainname.com instead of just plain mail, is that causing an issue with the certification listed above?

Also, on the Exchange Server, I ran Get-OutlookProvider and I have EXCH, EXPR, WEB but the server column is empty for all three. I also ran Test-OutlookWebServices and unfortunately I can't read the middle column fully and I've tried putting the output to txt file and expanding the buffer for the screen. However, ID 1013 and 1017 does fail but I can't read where.  I have checked IIS on Exchange and it does have autodiscover sub category under Default Web Site.

I have also tried the registry hack but that has not resolved the matter.

Can someone please point me to a step-by-step on how to configure Exchange 2007 for this so I can see if the server was setup properly from the start, or what I need to change?  I think I've pretty much done everything on the client side and need to look at the server side now.  One other thing, Outlook2003 was working before I moved to 2k7 on the client laptops.

A

Albert Widjaja

Yes Nahmed,

I'm on the same boat with you, i guess we're having the same condition of empty XML file which leads to OOF, OAB, free/busy status error.

here's my autodiscover entry:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Autodiscover>
<!-- This is a placeholder file -->
</Autodiscover>

it would be great if someone out there could give us a clue of how does it looks like when it is filled in.

thanks.

F

Fabien Menigault

Hello,

Wow more than one year and nobody did a complete step by step guide about this issue.
Actually, one of my customer is having this issue as well ..and i started today to have a look.

I will let you know if i find any valuable information.

I

Irfan Ali

Hi All,

If anyone still having issues ?

I can help.

Regards,

Irfan Ali

Irfan Ali. Snr. Infrastructure Consultant

A

Anwar Ahmed Siddqiui

Dear Irfan,

Can you help me out for following

1. My OOA doesn't work with proxy settings ON on ISA Server as autodiscover URL is directed towards ISA Server

2. When I move user mailbox credentials from one exchnage server to other , user did not automatically gets connected to new server

Anwar

SPPS 2003 Upgrade to 2007

B

Binu John

I also have autodiscover.xml and need to know step by step how we can fill the autodiscover.xml and what will be the entries in autodiscover.xml after the autodiscover configuration finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R how to configure outlook 2007 clients to publish free busy info to public folder in exchange 2010 (s Exchange Server Administration 3
A how to configure windows 2003 built in mail server (POP Server) coexistence with exchange server 2007/2010 Exchange Server Administration 7
S I am unable to configure a Microsoft Exchange account under windows 7 in Outlook 2007. The server does not accept the password for the exchange server Using Outlook 3
C How to configure BCM 2007 and Hosted Exchange BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
R Add Exchange Account to existing POP3 Outlook 2007 Profile Using Outlook 0
norbertlars Exchange 2007 - quota not shown in clients Exchange Server Administration 2
R Outlook 2007 - Shared Accounts and Resources without Exchange Server Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Outlook 2016 & Exchange 2007: Not supported New Slipstick.com Articles 0
D Multiple Exchange Accounts in 2007 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
B Old attachments do not open after Exchange 2007 edb recovery. Exchange Server Administration 3
TotallyConfused Godaddy Microsoft exchange 2007 stopped updating Exchange Server Administration 1
W Sync categories between Exchange and 2007 Exchange Server Administration 1
J Outlook 2013 - Exchange 2007 manage distribution group Exchange Server Administration 1
J IPAD Outlook OWA App - Help using Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 4
Jon Bakrley Outlook 2013 and Exchange 2007, Out of the office error message Using Outlook 8
W Moving Exchange 2007 to a different drive/partition? Exchange Server Administration 1
M connection to the microsoft exchange server has been lost. outlook 2007 Exchange Server Administration 0
R Ingest contact PST from exchange 2007 thru client's Outlook via PRF Exchange Server Administration 2
E "Current View" settings across multiple users on same Exchange 2007 account. Using Outlook 1
S Installing Exchange 2007 on Outlook 2007 with a previous POP3 account Using Outlook 1
B Promoting and demoting dns w/ exchange 2007 sp2 environment Exchange Server Administration 1
S Outllook 2007 stops connecting with Exchange after latest MS Updates Using Outlook 2
D Removing multiple Exchange 2007 servers on the same Domain and site Exchange Server Administration 1
A Identifiying who changed or updated an appointment in Exchange 2007 Exchange Server Administration 7
S Outlook 2007 Rules randomly stopping working (non-Exchange Server) Using Outlook 6
T Multiple Mailboxes not Synchronizing with Exchange 2007 Exchange Server Administration 0
M Outlook 2007 "cannot open your default email folders.microsoft exchange is not available" on XP is n Using Outlook 1
M Outlook Anywhere not working for Exchange Server 2007 Using Outlook 7
X Exchange 2007 Outlook Anywhere Clients unable to retrieve GAL Using Outlook 9
B Outlook 2007 New email notification works intermittently after adding Exchange 2010 Servers Exchange Server Administration 1
C Exchange 2007 Shell command to find users who are members of Recipient Administrator Exchange Server Administration 3
M Outlook 2010-Sync with Exchange server 2007 Using Outlook 2
S Exchange 2010 CAS/HT/Mailbox moved - best practice/steps for decommissioning 2007 Exchange Server Administration 3
J outlook 2011 for mac not connecting to exchange 2007, previous entourage does & i can ping the serve Using Outlook 1
J Suggested times does not work with Outlook 2010 in combination with Exchange 2007 SP2? Using Outlook 2
N Exchange 2007 SP1 + Outlook 2007/2010 - Autodiscover for Outlook Anywhere and Out of Office not working Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2010 Connectivity with Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 5
M Fundamental CAS question for Exchange 2010 and 2007 Co-existence... Exchange Server Administration 7
M Outlook 2010 Connectivity with exchange server 2007 Using Outlook 1
M Exchange ActiveSync HTTP 500 Exchange CAS/HUB 2007 and Exchange 2003 BE & MBX CCR 2007 Using Outlook 1
A cannot connect outlook 2007 clients to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
D How to push a second outlook 2007 'private' calendar on exchange 2007 to my mobile phone. Using Outlook 1
D User running outlook 2003 not able to connect to Exchange server 2007 Using Outlook 5
V Daylight savings times X Exchange 2007 pop3 Using Outlook 2
M Appointments with more than one day are not shown correctly at iPhone after Service Pack 3 for Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 2
S Can not find a mailbox - Exchange 2007 Exchange Server Administration 1
M Outlook Mail Format Options - Grayed out 2003 office/outlook in exchange 2007 mail organisation. Using Outlook 3
R Unable to use Public Folders on Exchange 2007 via OLK2007 Using Outlook 2
P Problems with shared Calendars in an Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2007 environment Using Outlook 1
M Is it possible to have a public calendar map on a exchange server 2007 and synchronize this map and the items with outlook 2011 for MAC public map bro Using Outlook 2