'A previous version of exchange already exists on this server' setup issue

R

Rob P.

Hi
I'm trying to install Exchange 2010 RC on an Intel Quad Core 6600/8GB Ram server.  Originally I had Windows 2008 SP2 standard and Exchange 2007 SP1 installed (all modules to run on single server, no edge hub etc).  I removed Exchange 2007 with "remove programs" and everything unloaded cleanly, I then deleted the Exchange folder and made sure nothing was still left in IIS.  I then did an in-place upgrade to Windows 2008 Enterprise, which completed fine.
When trying to install 2010 RC, the instant I click Step 4:Install Microsoft Exchange, it says "A previous version of exchange already exists on this server", and I can't go any further.
I've looked through the registry for anything else to clean out, but as you can imagine, the word "Exchange" appears alot for other reasons.
I've been able to install Exchange 2007 management tools again, and uninstall, but same issue on 2010 afterwards.
The server is my home server which also runs AD services, and I have a Hyper-V Windows 2008 R2 core installation running as a second DC.  Forest and Domain functional level is 2008.

R

Rob P.

Thanks for that tip, I found 2 keys I could delete exactly where you said.  After that setup is running.
Hoping the rest goes smoothly.