Moving Reading Pane Back to bottom OWA 2010?

B

boe_d

Hello,

Other than some people who came from Notes environments, all of my clients use the reading use the reading pane at the bottom when viewing mail. I'm using Exchange 2010. I'm not saying they shouldn't also offer the option of reading pane at the side for old school people however why not offer the option of having the reading pane at the bottom as well? This was available in the previous versions of OWA - why would they remove it?

PLEASE put it back in or at least create a work around as I'd like to roll out Exchange 2010 but like the unwelcome ribbon feature in Office 2007 for most of my clients I think this is going to make 2007 the prefered exchange server for most of my clients. I understand for some people who are technical getting used to a new location isn't a big deal but most clients get flustered when you just ask them to click on the start button. Why is MS determined to alienate their existing client base. Again I'm not saying the right reading pane shouldn't be an option but I am saying giving the same options you had previously would benefit MS sales.

B

Brian Day MCITP [MVP]

I wouldn't be shocked to see it come back, but I agree our users prefer to bottom view as well.Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.

B

boe_d

Another item - THREADING.

I understand the value of threading, however some of my clients like to use OWA and look by date for individual e-mails. Again while I like the threading, this will frustrate some of my clients. Is there a way to view your inbox with all individual e-mails with no threading whatsoever.

B

Brian Day MCITP [MVP]

Yup this is an easy one. :) Click the down arrow next to the item you are arranging by, then uncheck " Conversations." Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.

C

Crand

Absolutely unacceptable that this feature is missing. It is especially annoying that not only are the emails on the side but you have to scroll to see the entire message. I want a refund.

M

Matthew H. Sawyer

I agree too. I am a longtime bottom view user. I don't know why they would've removed this feature in E2K10, especially when you consider Office 2010--at least the November Beta version--has a bottom view option in Outlook.

It doesn't make a lick of sense that they took it away. I like the bottom view because it enables you to make the view of the items in the folder a lot wider, rather than the folder tree, list of items in the folder and the message all having to share the same horizontal real estate.

Danke,

Matt

A

apjaphet

bump...just noticed this option is missing in OWA 2010 as well. please return it!

B

Brian Day MCITP [MVP]

Check out the public beta of SP1.Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server

T

Timothy Carroll

This is going to frustrate a lot of my users (doing a 2003 to 2010 migration right now). I'm glad to see that they are listening for SP1. Sometimes it seems Microsoft just likes to leave things out to see if people really want something. A simple survey of user preferences would go a long way to saving a lot of user frustration.

Anyway, will 'single line' display make a come back with SP1? Since bottom preview leaves you with more horizontal room, it makes more sense to show all the attributes of a message on a single line, instead of the double line display which seems to be the only option in OWA 2010.

I can't install the SP1 preview (no box to put it on) so if anybody can confirm this, I'd appreciate it.

I

IC Bob

Hi All

I can confirm having just installed the SP1 Beta onto a system today that yes at last MS have caught up with the rest of us and returned the ability to set the reading pane to bottom.

Cheers

Bob

D

Dmitry_M

does anyone have a link to the SP1 download? Our bank is about to roll back to Office 2007 and cancel 2010 updates b/c of this missing feature. Almost everyone had bottom reading pane

B

Brian Day MCITP

A quick search should have resulted in this link..

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=199950

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
My posts are provided "AS IS" with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.

D

Dmitry_M

Thanks for the link. A quick search on the exchange server as a keyword gives you a link indeed but if you use " outlook" in your search query then you get a whole bunch of unrelated search results.

C

Crand

Which bank do you work for? I want to make sure I avoid doing business with it.