Enable user for UM - without OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

twscrb

If you are configuring a user for UM but not for OCS should the dial plan be SIP Secured, Unsecured, Secured or does it matter? Since the user will not be able to use OCS to authenticate and access their voicemails if they can't listen to the voicemails they receive in their Inbox (no speakers, etc.) that means that they will have to access their voicemails by dialing the subscriber access number. I get the message 'that extension does not exist' which leads me to believe there's some sort of security issue.

D

damdou

juste one question, where is the users ? in a child domain ? because i have the same probleme and i have ocs ...

S

Sean van Osnabrugge

If you are configuring a user for UM but not for OCS should the dial plan be SIP Secured, Unsecured, Secured or does it matter? Since the user will not be able to use OCS to authenticate and access their voicemails if they can't listen to the voicemails they receive in their Inbox (no speakers, etc.) that means that they will have to access their voicemails by dialing the subscriber access number. I get the message 'that extension does not exist' which leads me to believe there's some sort of security issue.
First Question: This depends on what you are using as your PBX, OCS 2007/R2 requires SIP Secured and LCS 2005 requires SIP Unsecured, but outside of Microsoft every vendor (Cisco, Nortel, Mitel) might have different requirements and you should be setting your dial plan accordingly.

Second Statement: Also depends on your environment.  Sure they might not be able to play directly on their PC without speakers/headset, but if they have physical phones there is a play on phone option which will ring the handset and play the voice mail once picked up.

Third Statement: Where are you getting this message?  Are you using Communicator or physical phones?
Sean | http://seanv.wordpress.com

T

twscrb

First Question: This depends on what you are using as your PBX, OCS 2007/R2 requires SIP Secured and LCS 2005 requires SIP Unsecured, but outside of Microsoft every vendor (Cisco, Nortel, Mitel) might have different requirements and you should be setting your dial plan accordingly.

Second Statement: Also depends on your environment.  Sure they might not be able to play directly on their PC without speakers/headset, but if they have physical phones there is a play on phone option which will ring the handset and play the voice mail once picked up.

Third Statement: Where are you getting this message?  Are you using Communicator or physical phones?
Sean | http://seanv.wordpress.com First Question: This depends on what you are using as your PBX, OCS 2007/R2 requires SIP Secured ...

We're using a Nortel Option 61 with OCSR2

They will not have Communicator installed on their systems so I don't believe this will be an option for them. They would have to  either listen directly from their Inbox (if they have speakers) or else use their deskphones to dial into voicemail.

They do not have Communicator installed. We get this message when we use the subscriber access number to enter the user's voicemail.

I think the main question is this? If a user is not enabled for OCS but needs to use UM for messaging, what's the correct configuration of their dial plan that will be added to EUM? The main items to consider would be URI type, VoIP security, and whether it should be associated with the OCS frontend gateway or the VoIP gateway.

S

Sean van Osnabrugge

I think the main question is this? If a user is not enabled for OCS but needs to use UM for messaging, what's the correct configuration of their dial plan that will be added to EUM? The main items to consider would be URI type, VoIP security, and whether it should be associated with the OCS frontend gateway or the VoIP gateway.

Basically, you are asking about the correct configuration for Unified Messaging with a PBX.  You can ignore the fact that you have OCS in the environment as you have specifically said that the users will not have OCS enabled.

The correct configuration depends on your PBX which you have revealed as a Nortel Option 61 and it also depends on how you have configured your PBX, but basically you need a dial plan that will most likely be a URI type of Telephone Extention or E.164 with the number of digits that matches your dial plan on your PBX.  It is likely to be unsecured unless you have a certificate installed on your PBX.  Remember to create a UM IP gateway object for each PBX you have and associate them to your Dial Plan(s) that you have created.  Lastly, you need to associate your Dial Plan(s) to your UM Server(s).

If you are using multiple IP gateways (PBXs) and multiple dial plans and have various configuration requirements such as languages or different auto attendants, then you are going to need to create multiple hunt groups and associate additional pilot numbers to accomodate this configuration.

Basically, a lot of the configuration really depends on two things:

1) Your PBX - if you are unsure, then you need to check with Nortel.
2) Your requirements - languages, various offices, etc.
Sean | http://seanv.wordpress.com

Status
Not open for further replies.