Move Mailbox from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2010 (no DAG) - Client Outlook MAPI Profile still lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MiKeDaDoC

Hi Folks,

i just finished migrating our Exchange from 2007 to 2010 using a " temporary" Exchange 2010 Server. the 2007 to 2010 part worked out like a charm, all Mailboxes, PFs and settings are there. so far so good...now I did an Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2010 " migration" ..ok its not a migration... i added another Exchange 2010 Server with the " final-to use" Servername and on the " final-to-use" Hardware to the Exchange Org. Everything seemed to work out. I could replicate (again) all of the PFs from the temp Exchange 2010 to the final Exchange 2010 server and so it was all good for the Mailboxes, now showing up correctly in the Database of the final Exchange 2010 Server...Recieve Connectors, userdefined Banners, Own Domain-certificate....everything is ok.

" Ok where's the problem?" you may ask...

So next step would be to verify that all Outlook Clients (2003 and and some 2007) would update their Exchange Server entry in the Mapi Profile to point to the final Server on first opening, just as they did when first migrating from Exchange 2007 to 2010.

Here is the point: Outlook won't change it. It is still having the Name of the temporary Server in the Mapi Profile regardless of user logut/login and restart of the client or the servers. Don't get me wrong, Outlook will still open the Mailbox without any Error and my Users are able to work with Outlook just as before..as long as the temp. Exchange Server is online. Sure thing, it's name is still in that Mapi Profile.

Workaround: Closing Outlook, changing the Server Name in the MAPI Profile of the client to what it should be, and restart Outlook....Of course Outlook will start and work the same, but now I am able to reboot or even shutdown/uninstall the temp Server. I may even give Outlook the name of the temp. Server and he will (this behaviour is by default) change it to the Name of the final Server....

So why isn't he able to do this in first place? Any Ideas, or is this a bug?! or am I missing something?

Any statement would be nice.

(just don't ask why I'm installing a so called temp. Server instead of migrating only one time from 2007 to 2010 and then use it.)Michael Saldaña IT System-Elektroniker, MCSE-M 2003

M

Mark Fugatt

What you need to remember is that in Exchange 2010, the clients do not connect directly to the mailbox role, they go through the CAS role, so it sounds like you need to set the RPCClientAccessServer to point to the new Exchange 2010 server.

Do this via PowerShell

GET-MAILBOXDATA | SET-MAILBOXDATABASE -RPCCLIENTACCESSSERVER <FQDN OF NEW CAS SERVER>Mark Fugatt Premier Field Engineer - Unified Communications Microsoft Services This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights

M

MiKeDaDoC

Hey, thanks for the answer,

shortly after posting this I read about rpcclienttaccessserver and changed it, but still the client will connect to the temp. Server.

I will soon try it again with a third Exchange to Exchange move...for now I disabled/uninstalled the temp. Server and created a c-name in dns until I'll change the clients manualyMichael Saldaña IT System-Elektroniker, MCSE-M 2003

B

Brian Day MCITP [MVP]

shortly after posting this I read about rpcclienttaccessserver and changed it, but still the client will connect to the temp. Server.

I will soon try it again with a third Exchange to Exchange move...for now I disabled/uninstalled the temp. Server and created a c-name in dns until I'll change the clients manualy

Once Outlook has established a connection it will not update itself unless you move the mailbox again to a different DB or do a " Check Names" in the Outlook profile. The rpcclientaccessserver attribute should preferably be configured before clients are moved to the box.Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Configuration
LMNOP

M

MiKeDaDoC

I will soon try it again with a third Exchange to Exchange move...for now I disabled/uninstalled the temp. Server and created a c-name in dns until I'll change the clients manualy

Once Outlook has established a connection it will not update itself unless you move the mailbox again to a different DB or do a " Check Names" in the Outlook profile. The rpcclientaccessserver attribute should preferably be configured before clients are moved to the box. Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek

MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA

MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Configuration

LMNOP

ok, sounds logical. Will try that on next " Test Move" .Michael Saldaña IT System-Elektroniker, MCSE-M 2003

V

Victor Welasco

Hy Guys,

I had the same problem, move-request between Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2010 with diferent RPCCLIENTACCESSSERVER on mailboxdatabase but the client Outlook still on old server. My enviroment is the same lake you, Exchange Migration from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 temp Hardware every thing is OK, after this, I format my Exchange 2007 and Install new Exchange 2010 and move-request from Exchange 2010 (Temp Hardware) to new Exchange 2010 and client Outlook don&acute;t redirect profiles.

It&acute;s a Bug and not correctly yet, I receive this information from Microsoft.

I used the same workaround CNAME on dns server.

Att:

Victor Welasco Santana

M

MiKeDaDoC

It&acute;s a Bug and not correctly yet, I receive this information from Microsoft.

Ok, good to know about that. Thank you for that feedback.

Maybe its because I used the same " old" Servername as it was with Exchange 2007 in final Exchange 2010 Installation. (temp. Server got different name)

How was it in your case?Michael Saldaña IT System-Elektroniker, MCSE-M 2003

V

Victor Welasco

Yes, I migrate from Exchange 2007 (name SrvExch) to Exchange 2010 temp (SrvExch2010), after I formated my SrvExch and install a new Exchange 2010 with the same Old name used on Exchange 2007 SrvExch.

Att:

Victor Welasco Santana

J

jeremybnz

Any update on this issue? am having the same issue, moving mailboxes between multiple 2010 servers and mapi profile not updating unless you do the check name thing on the client...

J

jassonxp

HI Mike,

Could you please help me in the step to migrate public folder from exchange 2007 to exchange 2010?

I couldn't replicate & remove public folder on exchange 2007..

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.