Problem with Exchange UM Message Waiting Indicator MWI

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jan K Andersen

Dear all,

We are having a problem with the MWI (message waiting indicator) not being generated/sent by Exchange 2010 UM?

Please could someone confirm the different steps needed for Exchange 2010 UM to generate the SIP NOTIFY messages (I assume that's how it has been implemented)? We receive the e-mail notifications everytime someone leaves a voice-mail - so I assume that we are setup correctly?

Our setup is simple, we have a SIP Server which will accept the SIP NOTIFY messages (if they just arrived) and forward them to the different Polycom phones registered with the SIP Server - we have created the dial-plan and gateway etc for the SIP Server and we are able to place calls into Exchange 2010 Subscriber Access.

Kind regards,
Jan

J

James-Luo

In order generate a SIP NOTIFY message, the Mailbox Assistant of the mailbox server need to query AD to register for appropriate notification at first. After the Mailbox Assistant receives mailbox notification, it maintains in memory state and determines if the MWI state of the users has changed.

If the MWI state of the user has changed, Mailbox server will proxies the information/request to the UM server within the site. The UM server encapsulates MWI state change information in a SIP NOTIFY message and forwards it to an appropriate gateway

So, please capture the network traces from UM server to IP GW, and check if the SIP NOTIFY is sent properly, you can use WireShark, or Network Monitor

James Luo

J

Jan K Andersen

Hi James,

Done the trace on the UM server going to and from the IP GW using Network Monitor - however, I can only see that the UM server sends SIP OPTIONS across the wire for which the IP GW replies correctly with 200 OK? Any ideas - maybe I haven't setup someting correct, but all I could find in the documentation is that we simply just "tick" the box saying Enable MWI etc :)

Kind regards,
Jan

J

James-Luo

Yes, the reply should be 200.

Does the issue happen to all users?

How"s the SIP NOTIFY from UM server? Does “Messages-Waiting” flag to “Yes”?

James Luo

J

Jan K Andersen

Hi James,

I have not seen any SIP NOTIFY being forwarded to the IP GW for other users with pending voice-mails either?? I am currently trying a fresh install in another lab to see if there are any configuration issues with the environment. The new lab will use a resource forest which I assume shouldn't be any problem with MWI?

I will report back my findings when I've tested the new lab later today :)

Also, have you found any detailed technical documentation on how it should work - all I can find is high-level.

Kind regards,
Jan

Q

Quinalt

I'm having the same issue. Wireshark trace analysis shows options requests and responses from our mitel 3300 and exchange 2010, but no NOTIFY messages are being generated by the Exchange Server. The MWI box(es) are set to enabled on the Exchange server and no events appear in the the Event Log.

Anyone have any ideas?

P

Philippe _CH

I have the same issue with Exchange 2010 UM and CS1000. In the mnetwork trace is no Notify from UM to IP gateway.

MWI are cheked in policy and in Gateway params.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Problem with searching public folders Exchange 2013/16 Exchange Server Administration 2
M Problem setting up exchange account Using Outlook 1
S Internet Mail SMTP Connector Problem on Exchange 2010 after Migration Exchange Server Administration 2
V Exchange 2010 - problem sending mail from one server Exchange Server Administration 5
B Re: Exchange OOF / EWS Problem - The user and the mailbox are in different Active Directory sites Exchange Server Administration 0
S vb.net exchange 2010 problem with enable-mailbox command Exchange Server Administration 2
A Exchange 2007 <-> 2010 OWA not working together redirecting problem Exchange Server Administration 1
P Exchange 2010 Installation Problem Exchange Server Administration 9
D INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS problem with Certain Settings Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 4
B Re: Exchange 2007 and CAS from Exchange 2010 problem Exchange Server Administration 15
M Re: Exchange 2007 and CAS from Exchange 2010 problem Exchange Server Administration 2
I Exchange 2007 and CAS from Exchange 2010 problem Exchange Server Administration 4
T ActiveSync proxy problem from Exchange 2010 CAS to Exchange 2007 CAS Exchange Server Administration 5
J Exchange 2010 / 2003 OWA Problem Exchange Server Administration 2
A Problem Setting up Outlook Anywhere for Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 17
U Exchange 2010 Recovery Database: WMI Problem? Exchange Server Administration 3
R Problem installing Unified Messaging on Exchange 2010 SP1 Exchange Server Administration 3
T Exchange 2010 SP1 Mailbox export date filter problem - bug? Exchange Server Administration 9
M SendMail problem with ActiveSync 14.0 (Exchange Server 2010) Exchange Server Administration 3
S Exchange OOF / EWS Problem - The user and the mailbox are in different Active Directory sites Exchange Server Administration 16
M Problem with meeting requests (default reminder set to 15 minutes by Exchange) Exchange Server Administration 4
M Is there any problem in installing MS exchange server in India with SMS sysnc options enabled? Exchange Server Administration 3
P SBS2008 / Exchange with POP3 Connector / Invalid Header Fields -problem Exchange Server Administration 20
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
Marc2019 Outlook 2016 Font Problem Using Outlook 5
X I have met my waterloo trying to resolve embedded graphics problem with outlook 2007 and now 2016 Using Outlook 1
D Problem with custom form including _DocSiteControl1 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 0
D Sort Problem with Sent Folders Using Outlook 1
S Conditional formatting problem with "is not empty" and categories Using Outlook 2
Mark Foley The upload of "Calendar" failed. There was a problem with the request. Using Outlook 6
avant-guvnor Import csv problem Using Outlook 7
katehawkins Outlook 2013 Ost to pst conversion problem Using Outlook 1
AbbieWhite The problem with a fairly large file. Using Outlook 3
I Outlook 2013 Send problem - 'Not Responding' forever Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 10
EmelineGueguen Help to understand the problem of work Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2016 search problem persists after applying all known solutions Using Outlook 12
S problem with convert Using Outlook 1
S SendFromAccount - Problem trying to test existing value in open email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
DruinaBiscardi unexpected problem in outlook Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2003 problem with Windows 10 Creators Update 1709 Using Outlook 0
G Windows Update Causes BCM Database Access Problem? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
Grimev66 problem with conversion ost to pst Using Outlook 2
J Problem with Outlook 2016 new mail tray icon alert (envelope in the systems tray) Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
S Problem running Command button code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A .ost file problem Using Outlook 4
G PROBLEM REGARDING OUTLOOK STORAGE LANGUAGES Using Outlook 4
PetraTech Odd Folder View Problem Using Outlook 3
V iCloud problem Using Outlook 9