Drawbacks to journaling a legacy mailbox to a 2010 (or 2007) Journal mailbox?

• Thread starter Brian Day MCITP [MVP]
  • Start date Views 597
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Day MCITP [MVP]

I have a situation where 4 journal mailboxes totalling about 80GB require a few discovery searches performed on them. The problem (if it is one) is that the mailboxes being journaled are still on 2003 and cannot yet be moved to 2007 or 2010 due to other logistical issues. I'd like to move the journal mailboxes themselves to 2010 (or 2007), but I don't have a lot of experience in journaling and am wondering if there will be any drawbacks performing a journal of a legacy mailbox against a newer versioned server.

The mailboxes are so large 2003 just croaks trying to open them in any fashion. I guess it doesn't like 700k items in one folder. ;) The only other thing we've thought of doing is an exmerge output using date ranges to gather up a few slightly smaller PST files, then import those one at a time to newer mailboxes and perform the searches there.

The 2010 boxes have Update Rollup 2 on them and I'd much prefer to use 2010's discovery tools if I can.

Thoughts?
Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010

B

Brian Day MCITP [MVP]

Hi Satish,

I have already been through those links and was looking for real world possibilities. :)Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.