Outlook 2007 | Can't view a shared calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SACIT

Ok folks. I hate to be asking so many questions here but I'm out of ideas.

A user has been given delegate rights to her bosses calendar. When she adds the calendar in Outlook and clicks to view the calendar, Outlook crashes immediately.
We keep our environment well patched, so Outlook has all the latest updates/patches. I've attempted the following:

Outlook.exe /cleanviews
Unchecked cache exchange mode
recreated the users AD profile

I don't think it's a permissions issue because she is able to view the users calendar in the Outlook Web Access portal.

Environment:

Exchange 2010
Outlook 2007 (12.0.6514.5000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000)

M

mitch roberson

that is odd, is it possible she has a browser add in that may be causing the problem? you may want to set i.e. back to defaults.

does she have any problems creating appt's for thier on calendar. and can they see free\busy for that person?

Mitch Roberson |MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging 2007, 2010 |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT |MCSE 2000\2003 |MCSE Messaging 2000\2003

J

James-Luo

So, the delegate"s outlook will crash if she attempts to open the shared calendar of her boss, right?

How does delegate permission being set exactly, from the “Option” in the boss"s outlook?

Is there any error event in the application log on the problematic machine?

Does the issue persist if you create her mail profile on a brand new test machine?

James Luo

S

SACIT

We have rebuilt her workstation, given her a brand new workstation and even had her logon to her bosses workstation and she still gets the same response from Outlook.

Mitch@ She is given delegate access by having her boss logon to her computer, open Outlook and go to to Tools > Options | Delegates | Calendar (Editor) w/ the option to see private items.

When her assistant closes/open Outlook and attempts to view her bosses calendar it begins downloading then outlook crashes.

J

James-Luo

Please do a test:

1. Create two testing mailbox, A and B

2. Share the A"s calendar to delegate, and see if delegate can open the A"s calendar

3. Set B as the delegate in boss"s mailbox, and see if B can open the boss"s calendar

Please try to enable transport logging on the outlook and reproduce the issue, check if there"s any error info in the logging

Please clear the Download shared folders (excludes mail folders) checkbox to turn off the shared folder, and see if the issue still persists

Turn on or off Cached Exchange Mode

James Luo

S

SACIT

I'll try your suggestion James-Luo and post an update once I've done so.

Thanks

S

SACIT

Okay. I was able to resolve the problem, not truly resolved but I found a fix.

We already know that on the workstation, or any workstation the user has an issue when attempting to view her bosses calendar in Outlook. Outlook continues to crash. If she goes to the OWA portal, she can easily access the calendar- 0 problems.

If I give her 'full mailbox access' to the account she IS able to view the calendar without a problem in Outlook. Once I remove 'Full access', Outlook starts acting up again- closes unexpectedly.

So while the issue is resolved, there appears to be a more underlying problem going on.

S

SACIT

I'd still like to know what exactly cuased this problem. Again, I was able to give the user full access to their bosses mailbox (which I shouldn't have to) in order for her to open the calendar without Outlook crashing.

Another ticket was put in, different user. Once I gave her full access to the calendar they are trying to pull up in Outlook, it works flawlessly. Removing full access BUT giving them delegate rights to view the calendar continues to crash Outlook.

S

SACIT

So, the delegate"s outlook will crash if she attempts to open the shared calendar of her boss, right?

How does delegate permission being set exactly, from the “Option” in the boss"s outlook?

Is there any error event in the application log on the problematic machine?

Does the issue persist if you create her mail profile on a brand new test machine?
James Luo

Yes

Yes

I have a brand new machine, logged on the machine under the users account and sure enough, it crashes.

N

NewCoIT

We are having the same issue. Exchange 2010.

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:" Cambria Math" ; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-alt:" Arial Rounded MT Bold" ; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:" Segoe UI" ; panose-1:2 11 5 2 4 2 4 2 2 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520084737 -1073683329 41 0 479 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:" " ; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:" Calibri" ," sans-serif" ; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\office12\mso.dll

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:" Cambria Math" ; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-alt:" Arial Rounded MT Bold" ; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:" MS Shell Dlg" ; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:auto; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:" " ; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:" Calibri" ," sans-serif" ; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 12.0.6514.5000, stamp 4a89dc70, faulting module mso.dll, version 12.0.6425.1000

Once User A who has been given publishing editor (or even owner or any right for that matter) tries to open User B Calendar, User A crashes.

Giving User A full management access to User B mailbox via exchange management console did " resolve" the issue but is obviously a security issue.

Additional Notes:

Other users accessing User B's calendar do not have issues. It is only user A.

Rebuilding the machine does NOT resolve the issue.

Replacing the mso.dll does NOT resolve the issue.

Microsoft Help would greatly be appreciated at this moment.

GB

C

cube IT solutions

I too have this problem with one our clients.

Not all users are affected.

So user A has share permissions on calender of user B. Adding shared calendar seems to let Outlook crash. But for example users X, Y and Z who have the same sharepermissions are not having problems!!?

I can confirm that giving user A full permissions on mailbox from user B does work but this can only be a temp solution!

Additional info :

tested this with user A on different computers (XP, Vista, 7) with different versions of Outlook (2003, 2007, 2010). In all situations Outlook crashed.

It doesn't matter if cached mode is on or off, in both situations Outlook will crash.

OWA is not affected it seems.

different permission levels make no difference.

Sometimes, if the shared calendar is not enabled (ticked) after opening Outlook and you tick it, the first time it will open the calendar, unticking it and reticking it -> Outlook crashes.

All updates are installed.

Another odd problem but related to this is that one user, who has share permissions on the 'inbox' of another user can access the inbox folder but Outlook displays 'The Outlook Today' window. There is no way to change this except when granting 'Full Mailbox Access' for this user on the mailbox, the folder is visible as it should be!!?

I stronlgy believe this is due to the fact that Outlook or Exchange 2010 on its turn, can't verify permissions on the moment the shared folder is accessed.

Please MS, sort this out!

Wim

K

Kenneth Dalbjerg

Are the best solution to this error still giving the user full access to the mailbox where the calendar are in?Regards Kenneth Dalbjerg

A

ACIS

I too am having the same issue. I have a client that has Exchange 2010. I have one user (User A) that cannot open the shared calendar for another user (User B), and another user (User C) cannot open User A's calendar. When I grant full access permissions it resolves the issue. Has anyone contacted Microsoft directly on this issue? Does anyone else have a better resolution?

J

Joe Howe

We are also having the same issue as well. Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2007

T

TamL

We've also come across this problem. We have a few different users affected by it. Example: User A cannot open User B's calendar that they have reviewer permission to without it crashing. User C can open User B's calendar, but User C cannot open User D's. User A can open User D's calendar.

SACIT mentioned the problem with the Inbox showing Outlook today. We have another user with this issue, but it's a shared task list that they cannot open. I can open the shared task list, but they just get the Outlook today screen. They are successful at opening a number of other shared task list though.

W

Wjans

We are having the same issue as well. Windows 2008R2, Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2007.

Most users in our company have one shared calendar that they can't open and they all get the same error (Faulting application outlook.exe version 12.0.6514.5000, faulting module mso.dll, version 12.0.6425.100 .....)

The full access rights is working, but is the ideal solution.

Y

yusmo

We are having the exact same issue. Windows 2008 R2, Exchange 2010, and Outlook 2007 with SP2 plus all post-SP2 updates. Did anybody try Outlook 2010 yet? Did the issue get resolved under Outlook 2010?

C

cube IT solutions

AS stated in my reply I tried Outlook 2010 as well. This problem is not related to Outlook but to Exchange.

I think we need to wait until MS brings out a Exchange Rollup to solve this.

J

JViewer

I cant bring any new information on this issue. But I can confirm the same issue in a Exchange 2010/Outlook 2007 environment.

Y

yusmo

I am currently working on this issue with Microsoft technical support. Will update when this gets resolved, but might take a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.