Error 550 5.7.1 when Sending message via SMTP

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dele1jim

I am trying to setup an Outlook 2007 client to connect to their mailbox with POP3/SMTP settings, but I cannot get it to send messages via SMTP.

I receive the following error when I try to send the Outlook " Test Account Settings" Message:

550 5.7.1 Client does not have permission to send as this sender,

It works if I use the Domain Administrator account but not as an average user.

I know its a permission issue, but I have not found any step by step instructions to fix the problem.

J

Jonas Andersson [MCITP]

Hi

In Outlook you can setup the account to use " authentication" when it should send mails.
More settings -> Internet Email settings -> Outgoing server then select Authentication

I think that should solve your problem :)

Jonas Andersson MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration | MCITP: EMA | MCSE/MCSA Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog

A

Anbu Selvan

Yes, Jonas is correct.

You can use the Authentication option for the outgoing mails from the outlook.

An important note: The SMTP server which you are trying to send / relay through the emails must have the relay enabled and should have permission for relaying.

With Anbu

D

dele1jim

I forgot to mention that I am using the Authentication options for the Outgoing server. I still get the error when Authentication is enabled.

A

Anbu Selvan

Hi Dele1jim,

Can you kindly provide more info about your infra? Is it business requirement to use POP3/SMTP option?

Are you relaying your mails through your ISP? or you have own server to relay? The user name which you are using for the authentication, does it has the relaying permission in the SMTP server?

Looking forward your response.

With Anbu

I

Isaac Oben

Hello,

Are your users using the edge server as smtp server? If so you will need to add permissions for authenticated users to send email as an authouritaive domain.

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE

D

dele1jim

Primarily we use Outlook 2003 or newer for email clients and use the RPC over HTTP (aka Outlook Anywhere) for client access outside of the company, but we have a few cases where users need to be able to connect with POP3/SMTP to our In-House Exchange 2010 server to relay messages. I am using a normal user account to authenticate to the server but they are not authorized to relay via SMTP even after authentication.

I am unsure how to assign Relay permissions to the user account. Please let me know what steps to follow in order to assign the permissions.

Thank you,

A

Anbu Selvan

Hi,

Have you published the POP/SMPT request through ISA/TMG servers? or you have directly configured with NAT?

You have to enable the permission on the HUB server.

Kindly go through the following link which can help you to do the relay option in Exchange 2007

http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2007/01/exchange-server-2007-how-to-allow.html

Be sure to read all the security notes and ensure you understand what you are opening up before proceeding. Those notes should also apply to Exchange 2010.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Languages/.NET/Q_24995599.html

With Anbu

D

dele1jim

The server is directly configured with NAT and Mailbox, Client Access and Hub Transport roles. I am trying to use User Authenticated access to Submit / Relay messages to the server. If I enter the 'domain Administrator' credentials on the Outgoing Server screen I can connect to the server, and send messages; but if I connect as an average user I receive the message listed in the original post: 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permission to send as this sender

It appears that Authenticated users do not have relay permissions on my server.

Is there a way I can check this or change the settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.