Active Directory Preperation Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bakesale

I installed a copy of Exchange 2010 on a new server using a quick start guide. The installation went off without a hitch but I could not connect to the server and I was getting a weird WinRM error that I could not fix. So I decided to scrap the whole server and start over again.

When I created a new server and went through the same steps I could not install Exchange, the setup told me that I could only use Disaster recovery. I figured that this was due to AD still having a bunch of entries from the previous install so using ADSI I wiped out any reference to exchange or the old server but still no luck. This error did not go away until I changed the name of the new server (which i had origionally named the same as my first attempt) Now I get an error during the readiness checks saying that AD must be modified with Setup /PrepareAD before domains can be prepared for Exchange 2010.

I did this step but the setup failed saying the following
Organization Preparation ......................... FAILED
The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); initialize-Exchange
UniversalGroups -DomainController $RoleDomainController" was run: "The well-know
n object entry B:32:C262A929D691B74A9E068728F8F842EA:CN=Organization Management\
0ADEL:fe38faad-8d51-4ca8-9206-7fdfb5c2d595,CN=Deleted Objects,DC=REDACTED DOMAIN CONTROLLER,
DC=com on the otherWellKnownObjects attribute in the container object CN=Microso
ft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=REDACTED DOMAIN CONTROLLER,DC=com points to an i
nvalid DN or a deleted object. Remove the entry, and then rerun the task.".

How do I correct this? I am very inexperienced with Exchange...

V

Vegas588

Well, that error makes sense because you said that you wiped out AD entries using ADSI. That was a brave thing to do. Is this a production system? I hope not. If you are inexperienced with Exchange, then you need to do yourself a big favor and start reading alot of documentation. TechNet is your best starting place. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123715.aspx

You may be lucky in that if you re run setup /prepareAD it may actually work. When you run setup /PrepareSchema and setup /PrepareAD, many things are written to Active Directory. But if you deleted stuff, you could have easily wiped out other important AD entries. Do you see any errors on your Domain Controllers? Look in the Event Viewer. I don't know specifically what that error means without knowing other information, but it doesn't sound too good. Maybe someone else on the forum will have more detailed insight into that specific error. Although it seems like you may have deleted your domain controller?

Exchange requires alot of planning to make it work correctly.

B

bakesale

I did not delete the domain controller and only removed entries referring to Exchange. I had read some advice I saw here that said to remove stuff in ADSI. The only error in my event log on the DC are the ones pertaining to the exchange configuration cmdlet. If I did remove entries that I should not have now I do restore or re-create them?

This error i recieved occurs when i run setup /prepare AD and setup /prepare schema

C:\ExchangeSetup>setup /prepareschema
Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Unattended Setup
Press any key to cancel setup................
No key presses were detected. Setup will continue.
Preparing Exchange Setup
Copying Setup Files ......................... COMPLETED
No server roles will be installed
Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check
Organization Checks ......................... COMPLETED
Configuring Microsoft Exchange Server
Extending Active Directory schema
Progress ......................... COMPLETED
The Microsoft Exchange Server setup operation completed successfully.
C:\ExchangeSetup>setup /prepareAD
Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Unattended Setup
Press any key to cancel setup................
No key presses were detected. Setup will continue.
Preparing Exchange Setup
Copying Setup Files ......................... COMPLETED
No server roles will be installed
Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check
Organization Checks ......................... COMPLETED
Configuring Microsoft Exchange Server
Organization Preparation ......................... FAILED
The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); initialize-Exchange
UniversalGroups -DomainController $RoleDomainController" was run: "The well-know
n object entry B:32:C262A929D691B74A9E068728F8F842EA:CN=Organization Management\
0ADEL:fe38faad-8d51-4ca8-9206-7fdfb5c2d595,CN=Deleted Objects,DC=REDACTED DCNAME,
DC=com on the otherWellKnownObjects attribute in the container object CN=Microso
ft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=REDACTED DCNAME,DC=com points to an i
nvalid DN or a deleted object. Remove the entry, and then rerun the task.".
The Exchange Server setup operation did not complete. Visit http://support.micro
soft.com and enter the Error ID to find more information.
Exchange Server setup encountered an error.

B

bakesale

I tried your suggestion in that thread and removed the Microsoft Exchange Security Group but it did not fix the error. In addition to this I do not see the following entries in my ADSI

Navigate in ADSI edit to

Configuration,
CN- Configuration, DC=Mydomain,DC=com
CN-Services
CN=Microsoft Exchange

X

Xiu Zhang

So stange!

Then I recommend you to try to install the Exchange in disaster recovery mode and then uninstall Microsoft Exchange from Add/Remove.

Regards,

Xoi

B

bakesale

So stange!

Then I recommend you to try to install the Exchange in disaster recovery mode and then uninstall Microsoft Exchange from Add/Remove.

Regards,

Xoi
Disaster Recovery did nothing. The error said that there is no Exchange Server installed on this machine. The command I ran was

setup /m:recoverserver

R

Rick Yeager

Hello.

I am trying to install Exchange 2010 and I am getting the same error described in this thread during Organization Preparation.

I tried the suggestion in the thread you sited, but when I tried to edit the otherWellKnownObjects I get a message "There is no editor registered to handle this attribute type." I have searched for a solution to register an editor but cannot find anything.

I am running on Server 2008 R2.

Any ideas?

R

Rick Yeager

I finally got it done.

I was not able to edit the otherWellKnownObjects entry (see my previous post). As others have said you can't do it using Server 2008 R2 and I do't have Server 2003.

I tried to find a way to register an editor without any success.

Using ADSIEdit I finally deleted the "CN=Microsoft Exchange" & the "CN=Microsoft Exchange Autodiscover" entries under "CN=Configuration,DC=<domain>,DC=com,CN=Services".

I was then able to run X:Setup.com /p /on:<domain> with success.

The rest of Exchange 2010 installation proceded without issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Active Directory Management Tools for Administrators New Slipstick.com Articles 0
G Problems with Active Directory Rights Management Services (AD RMS) in Outlook 2013 Exchange Server Administration 0
Diane Poremsky Import Images into the Active Directory New Slipstick.com Articles 0
S How to send an OUTLOOK task to a contact out of my active directory? Using Outlook 2
J Setup mail for Exchange 2010 through Active Directory on Server 2008 R2 Standard Exchange Server Administration 3
T Copied Contact Does Not Update With Active Directory Information Changes Immediately. How Do I Force Update? Using Outlook 1
B Re: Exchange OOF / EWS Problem - The user and the mailbox are in different Active Directory sites Exchange Server Administration 0
D how to give perrmission on calender to user in ACTIVE DIRECTORY Using Outlook 0
T The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service on server localhost can't be contacted via Exchange Server Administration 2
P Will 'ldap modify' command work on some Active Directory fields? Using Outlook 2
E Event ID 9514 - Two objects in Active Directory have the same proxy address Exchange Server Administration 3
C Active Directory error applying Exchange 2010 SP1 Exchange Server Administration 4
O Exchange 2010 Service Pack 1 Active Directory Schema Exchange Server Administration 1
T Active Directory domain 'FECR' has an unrecognized Exchange signature. Current DomainPrep version: 1 Exchange Server Administration 2
R creating 1 casarray with multiple active directory sites Exchange Server Administration 10
C OWA 2007 New Message Error - Outlook Web Access was unable to access the Active Directory resource Using Outlook 2
C Active Directory does not exist or cannot be contacted Exchange Server Administration 12
C Multiple Domains in one Active Directory Structure Exchange Server Administration 4
A Exchange Server 2010 and Active directory 2003 Exchange Server Administration 5
L How to cleanup active directory after failed Exchange 2010 mailbox role server installation? Exchange Server Administration 5
B The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service on server localhost can't be contacted via Exchange Server Administration 3
V Active directory users not appearing in Global address list Exchange Server Administration 8
F SMTP Relay to Remote Active Directory Site Exchange Server Administration 4
T Exchange 2010 servers can't communicate with Active Directory Exchange Server Administration 4
V Upgrade Exchange 2007 to 2010 Active Directory virtual list view Exchange Server Administration 3
S Exchange OOF / EWS Problem - The user and the mailbox are in different Active Directory sites Exchange Server Administration 16
H Active directory response: 00002098: SecErr: DSID-03150BB9, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), dat Exchange Server Administration 6
P Automate Outlook Start - No Active Explorer Object Found Using Outlook 10
E Outlook rule only active certain times of day Using Outlook 6
R HELP!!! Email template with active excel spreadsheet Using Outlook 1
C active/passive broadband connections to maintain various IT services Exchange Server Administration 2
R Went from outlook 2003 to 2010 - can't retrieve active for contacts Using Outlook 0
W active sync Using Outlook 2
E Using with Active Sync, Outlook become unresponsive Using Outlook 5
M 'Send link by E-mail' doesn't provide active link.__ Using Outlook 1
J When a database move from active host in a DAG, user are prompted for credentials Exchange Server Administration 8
D Using Inbox as 'Active' tray, with both incoming and 'sent' mail, with senders and receivers displayed. Using Outlook 1
U Outlook 2010 Ignore Conversation Feature, list of Active Ignored Using Outlook 1
J OWA not working when active database moved Exchange Server Administration 3
S Web Links are not active when using Outlook Web Access 2007 Using Outlook 1
P How can I convert an Outlook 2010 folder to a .pdf with active links like I could in Outlook 2007? Using Outlook 3
S Active Passive DAG seperate DNS namespace Exchange Server Administration 7
B Active Active Site Resilience Exchange Server Administration 3
K publish exchange active sync behind TMG Exchange Server Administration 4
S Active Sync Device ID Using Outlook 2
E Transfer calendar from a .pst to a user's active exchange account? Using Outlook 7
M Active Manager operation failed to mount DB Error Id: 50A399C7, ErrorId: BF128831 Exchange Server Administration 10
P Ex2010 active sync Exchange Server Administration 4
R Hi, Is Outlook 2010 compatible thru active sync with Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional. Using Outlook 4
F Active Sync proxying not works in a Exchange 2010/2007 Coexistence Exchange Server Administration 1