DAG Fail-over Cluster losing connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jstoy

Hi Guys,

I have recently installed 2x Ex2010 on 2x Server 2008 R2 enterprise boxes to migrate my exiting Ex2k3 server over to it.

I have put both the servers in a DAG and made replications of the databases across both. I have followed all the technet and whitepaper guides to set everything up and i'm pretty much certain i've got it 99% right.

The problem is, when I'm using the management console on one DAG server sometimes i am experiencing time-outs when i'm trying to access the config of features on the other server in the DAG, sometimes it just times out and reports and error about remote management, sometimes it states that IIS is not available on one of the servers, its just really random connectivity loss between the 2 servers.

Configuration:

Quad adapter on each of the servers.

In Failover Cluster Manager the Replication network is the only one with replication enabled.

MAPI EX1 LAN 172.16.16.141 255.255.240.0 172.16.16.111(isa 2006) + DNS e.t.c no WINS

MAPI EX2 LAN 172.16.16.142 255.255.240.0 172.16.16.111(isa 2006) + DNS e.t.c no WINS

EX1 REPLICATION 192.168.100.101 255.255.255.0 no G/W no DNS no WINS

EX2 REPLICATION 192.168.100.102 255.255.255.0 no G/W no DNS no WINS

Adapter binding order is set so the MAPI connection is at the top.

4 Cat6 leads altogether, connected into a Cisco gigabit switch, the MAPI and REPLICATION subnets are on different VLAN's. Nothing else is on the replication VLAN. Obviously all my other servers including my 2k3 DC's where one of them is my GC are on the same VLAN as the MAPI NIC.

I'm also getting errors about the servers not having permission to read the membership of AD groups, losing connectivity with the domain controllers / CG.

I'm just completely lost with the whole thing which is why i'm posting here, i have found a lot of posts with similar problems, but not on technet, so i'm posting here!

If i don't get it sorted soon then im going to get rid of the replication network adapter and just have all my traffic run across the MAPI network... i need to get this sorted as i'm on a very tight timescale :(

Any help appreciated,

James.

M

Mark Arnold [MVP]

from your symptoms I'd be looking at the DCs rather than Exchange at the moment. Another thing is to check the DAG network and make sure everything looks right in there.

" jstoy" wrote in message news:8ebf20c3-fc21-47f4-8efe-b79bb97c429b...

Hi Guys,

I have recently installed 2x Ex2010 on 2x Server 2008 R2 enterprise boxes to migrate my exiting Ex2k3 server over to it.

I have put both the servers in a DAG and made replications of the databases across both. I have followed all the technet and whitepaper guides to set everything up and i'm pretty much certain i've got it 99% right.

The problem is, when I'm using the management console on one DAG server sometimes i am experiencing time-outs when i'm trying to access the config of features on the other server in the DAG, sometimes it just times out and reports and error about remote management, sometimes it states that IIS is not available on one of the servers, its just really random connectivity loss between the 2 servers.

Configuration:

Quad adapter on each of the servers.

In Failover Cluster Manager the Replication network is the only one with replication enabled.

MAPI EX1 LAN 172.16.16.141 255.255.240.0 172.16.16.111(isa 2006) + DNS e.t.c no WINS

MAPI EX2 LAN 172.16.16.142 255.255.240.0 172.16.16.111(isa 2006) + DNS e.t.c no WINS

EX1 REPLICATION 192.168.100.101 255.255.255.0 no G/W no DNS no WINS

EX2 REPLICATION 192.168.100.102 255.255.255.0 no G/W no DNS no WINS

Adapter binding order is set so the MAPI connection is at the top.

4 Cat6 leads altogether, connected into a Cisco gigabit switch, the MAPI and REPLICATION subnets are on different VLAN's. Nothing else is on the replication VLAN. Obviously all my other servers including my 2k3 DC's where one of them is my GC are on the same VLAN as the MAPI NIC.

I'm also getting errors about the servers not having permission to read the membership of AD groups, losing connectivity with the domain controllers / CG.

I'm just completely lost with the whole thing which is why i'm posting here, i have found a lot of posts with similar problems, but not on technet, so i'm posting here!

If i don't get it sorted soon then im going to get rid of the replication network adapter and just have all my traffic run across the MAPI network... i need to get this sorted as i'm on a very tight timescale :(

Any help appreciated,

James.
Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.

J

jstoy

Slight Breakthrough, i've fixed it on one of my servers. But the other is still playing up.

What i did was;

Right Clicked Organisation Configuration and selected: Configuration Domain Controller.

Then selected my DC from the list.

Then i restarted the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service as indicated by another forum post (the guy has to do this every time he reboots his exchange server, because the service starts before anything else manages to come up, what a load of .. wont go into it).

No more errors.

On my second server, i can do the Configuration Domain Controller setting but when i try to restart the service the dependencies just don't bother starting back up again, i can do them manually but after they have all been started nothing works and the server is still reported as off-line by the DAG and the other exchange server. If i reboot it, the services are all started but getting the AD errors again, this proves that it is actually the exchange server and not the DC's.

I'll get back to more playing around i guess.

J

jader3rd

I don't think that this has anything to do with the fact that it's a member of a Dag. When I've seen similar issues there were errors in the event log (specifically from store) about not being able to contact the AD. I forget what resolved it. What are some of the errors in the Application event log?

S

Shahid Roofi

There are issues with your active directory as per the symptoms you are referring to. There might be tombstoned DCs presiding in your environement. We would strong suggest you better check to see the health of your active directory first before you get into migration. This is to give you better and smoother migration process.

J

jstoy

Refusing to believe it is a problem with my AD, i did all the checks the day before i plugged in my 2 new exch 2k10 servers. To prove it i've just done them all again from each DC. I have 2 DC's in my Default first site, and one DC in each of my 3 other sites. Ran dcdiag /v to a logfile, netdiag /v to a logfile and repadmin /showreps on each of the DC's. All Pass with no errors. There are no errors in the event log on any DC. All my DC's have been running for well over 3 years with no problems. I have 350+ users to manage and they can all happily connect and authenticate with no problem. Besides i have a lot of in-house applications that use LDAP queries on a day to day basis, if the AD wasn't working, i would have noticed by now.

It is definitely a problem with this silly Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service, as i have managed to restart it on my first Ex2k10 server and now that server is running perfectly. However the second server is just giving me some grief:

ID 2501: Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1160). The site monitor API was unable to verify the site name for this Exchange computer - Call=DsctxGetContext Error code=8007077f. Make sure that Exchange server is correctly registered on the DNS server.

ID 2604: Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1160). When updating security for a remote procedure call (RPC) access for the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service, Exchange could not retrieve the security descriptor for Exchange server object UKCMAIL2 - Error code=8007077f.
The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service will continue starting with limited permissions.

ID 2601: Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1160). When initializing a remote procedure call (RPC) to the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service, Exchange could not retrieve the SID for account <WKGUID=1A9E39D35ABE5747B979FFC0C6E5EA26,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,...> - Error code=8007077f.
The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service will continue starting with limited permissions.

X

Xiu Zhang

Hi,

Please try to run ExBPA to have a health scan and then post the error information here.

Regards,

Xiu

J

jstoy

Everything passed apart from the parameters i haven't configured yet and a bug within the BPA.

Domain: OPTILAN

Unrecognised Exchange Signature, Current DomainPrep version: 12639. - M$ fail to include the Ex2k10 prep version in the tool...

Organisation: Optilan Ltd

Offline address book server cannot be found - because i havn't configured this yet. (still points to my 2k3 server)

Organization incoming message size too hight - not configured this yet. (still points to my 2k3 server)

2x Recipient Update Service Host cannot be found - not configured (still points to my 2k3 server) - this event is logged twice with the exact same error details.

Then it just says my 2003 server is not supported on the current version of BPA.

I'm clean.

F

Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Thank You for your Post here
Would you please help me collect the MPS Report on every DAG node?

============

a. Please download MPS Reporting Tool from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00ad0eac-720f-4441-9ef6-ea9f657b5c2f&DisplayLang=en

b. Right click MPSRPT_PFE.EXE and select Run as Administrator to run this tool, and you will see a Command Window start up.

c. Please type Y with the message of <Include the MSINFO32 report? (defaults to Y in 15 seconds)[N,Y]?

d. When the tool is done you will see an Explorer Window opening up the %systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab folder and containing a <Computername>MPSReports.cab file.

Kindly Compress and Email me teh Logs at fazal2@hotmail.com

With the Subject of email as : DAG Fail-over Cluster losing connection

By the way, if you have multiple DC/GC, you may need to check the replication status.

Regards

Fazal Muhammad Khan | MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS | Infrastructure Consultant, Technology Services | CDC Pakistan Ltd. | https://fazalmkhan.spaces.live.com | OFFICE: +92 21 111 111 500 Ext: 1402 | +5 GMT

J

jstoy

Thanks for the help everyone has provided.

I have given up on this huge farce and have just disconnected the Replication network from my servers, disabled the adapter and configured the cluster to replicate and route MAPI over one adapter (rubbish i know!).

Guess what, everything now works PERFECTLY on both servers, both can talk to each other fine, have been talking to AD all day with no errors, been changing configs to what i want and i am now in the position to start configuring Certificates and Publishing the services through ISA server, then finally onto moving all the mailboxes across.

I can not stress enough how let down i feel with myself on failing to get this working how i designed it, i do not give up easily, but due to my tight time constraints i have given up on this software farce and just gone with a quick fix which i am not happy about. No doubt when i have more time i will spend some of it on this ridiculous problem.

Again, thanks to the people who replied.

F

Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Glad to hear that your issue Is Fixed. But

" disabled the adapter and configured the cluster to replicate and route MAPI over one adapter"

Just Doesnt Convences me. If you Agree you can change it back the way it was and lets do a bit More of troubleshooting before going back to something which is a WORKAROUND :). The reason I say this is because if you even get back to the scenario you were in, it is just the event logs which are Pilling up and not the Problem in services.

Hope You agree with me and rest its your call.

Regards

Fazal Muhammad Khan | MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS | Infrastructure Consultant, Technology Services | CDC Pakistan Ltd. | https://fazalmkhan.spaces.live.com | OFFICE: +92 21 111 111 500 Ext: 1402 | +5 GMT

G

GHagan

I get these same errors, but I am not running a DAG or any other replication services. I have (1) mailbox server and (1) CAS server. So shutting off replication (as suggested to the other person) doesn't apply. At least I don't see how. I can run the EXPBA though to see what shows up.

-Gary

ID 2501: Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1160). The site monitor API was unable to verify the site name for this Exchange computer - Call=DsctxGetContext Error code=8007077f. Make sure that Exchange server is correctly registered on the DNS server.

ID 2604: Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1160). When updating security for a remote procedure call (RPC) access for the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service, Exchange could not retrieve the security descriptor for Exchange server object UKCMAIL2 - Error code=8007077f.

ID 2601: Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1160). When initializing a remote procedure call (RPC) to the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service, Exchange could not retrieve the SID for account <WKGUID=1A9E39D35ABE5747B979FFC0C6E5EA26,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,...> - Error code=8007077f.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Problem adding a second server to DAG (Error: Cluster API '"AddClusterNode() (MaxPercentage=12) fail Exchange Server Administration 12
R DAG fail over Question Exchange Server Administration 5
S DAG question Exchange Server Administration 0
B Two server DAG setup, second server EMC not opening Exchange Server Administration 3
M Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG & CA ARCserve Backup r15 Exchange Server Administration 1
L DAG Requirements Exchange Server Administration 5
G Mount recovery database fails on DAG Exchange Server Administration 3
S Mailbox Stores not mount in Two Member DAG Exchange Server Administration 4
P DAG CONFIGURED Need to change the data base and log file location .What are the risk .And Steps to p Exchange Server Administration 3
A Exchange DAG Exchange Server Administration 1
V mapiexceptioncallfailed: unable to mount database when activate mailboxdatabase in dag Exchange Server Administration 4
S DAG Content Index failed Exchange Server Administration 2
E Outlook 2007 won't connect to 2nd Mailbox Server in a DAG Exchange Server Administration 2
P Number of database on a server in DAG Exchange 2010 sp1 Exchange Server Administration 3
S DAG with Single Network Card Exchange Server Administration 8
T Exchange 2010 DAG Failover Issue - Database Activation Fails because Content Index Catalog Failed Exchange Server Administration 2
L DAG Question - Help Exchange Server Administration 2
A Access a DAG over a virtual lan ip for backup Exchange Server Administration 1
J Question of Exchange 2010 DAG Exchange Server Administration 3
M Hyper-v vSwitches and DAG Networks Exchange Server Administration 7
A Need Help Urgent !!!- Add Seconde Node To The DAG Exchange Server Administration 12
P 2 Member DAG - Members Virtualised running on non Clustered Hosts - supported Configuration? Exchange Server Administration 2
P Two Member DAG - Reboot Witness Server - Effects? Exchange Server Administration 7
K Exchange 2010 DAG Exchange Server Administration 2
S DAG replicaiton and server maintenance Exchange Server Administration 6
J When a database move from active host in a DAG, user are prompted for credentials Exchange Server Administration 8
à Loss the file share witness of DAG Exchange Server Administration 4
S DAG RPCclientAccessServer Exchange Server Administration 5
K msexchangerepl utilizing high CPU in a DAG env Exchange Server Administration 10
S Extend Exchange 2010 DAG accross sites Exchange Server Administration 3
M DAG layout and space question Exchange Server Administration 2
S DAG manually dismount database Exchange Server Administration 4
M Exchange 2010 DAG Witness Server Help Exchange Server Administration 2
S DAG Deployment Design with site resiliance Exchange Server Administration 2
H Shutdown all member in a DAG Exchange Server Administration 2
J DAG problem - I´m not able to recover database Exchange Server Administration 9
S Active Passive DAG seperate DNS namespace Exchange Server Administration 7
T DAG Exchange Server Administration 3
A The cluster network name is not online Exchange 2010 sp1 DAG Exchange Server Administration 8
D DAG Failover Treshold Exchange Server Administration 5
J Roll Back Options for installing SP1 on a DAG Exchange Server Administration 5
P Failing whn adding a server to a DAG Exchange Server Administration 5
S Change IP on DAG and DAG Members Exchange Server Administration 2
S Exchange 2010 DAG design - Drp Exchange Server Administration 2
S Exchange 2010 DAG issue Exchange Server Administration 1
F Why is an unmounted Exchange Server hosting mailboxes after having configured a DAG but haven't brou Exchange Server Administration 9
Y Exchange 2010 with DAG into the same storage Exchange Server Administration 1
P DAG Question Exchange Server Administration 7
M Problem removing a mailbox server from a DAG. Exchange Server Administration 1
H Exchange DAG Exchange Server Administration 2