Mailbox move to different site & Outlook 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Hope

Hi,

I've come across a problem when moving a mailbox from a 2007 server (Mailbox, CAS, HT) in one site to an Exchange 2010 server in in a different site (MB, HT,CAS).

Outlook 2010 clients update aytomatically (talk about smooth, nice work Microsoft!)

Outlook 2007 clients (With or without Outlook Anywhere enabled) remain "Disconnected" for about 2 hours, when it suddenly starts working.

I can reproduce this behaviour consistently. Looking around I can't find any indication of why this may be, perhaps the Information Store caches something for a period of time and since Outlook 2K10 connects to the CAS role it's not effected? With diagnostic logging in Outlook 2007 enabled there's hardly anything logged (nothing related to MAPI etc anyway).

Any suggestions?

J

jader3rd

I'm willing to bet it would be due to AD replication between the sites. After the move occurs does the Connection Status in Outlook show it trying to connect to the old mailbox server, or the Exchange 2010 Cas array (or Server) ?

D

David Hope

Thanks for the reply.

However, the DCs at both sites show the updated homeMDB and homeMTA attributes so not sure if it's going to be replication?

D

David Hope

I've checked DCs in the source site and destination site, all show the correct (updated) values for homeMDB, homeMTA and msExchHomeServerName.

Some posts on the forum suggested running "set-mailbox -identity <username> -database <database>" anyway, however that makes no difference in this sceanario.

Any suggestions as what to try next? Using the "Connection Status" dialog in Outlook, I can see Outlook connected to DCs in the old mailbox site and attempts to connect to the old mailbox server.

J

jader3rd

If you "Test E-mail Autoconfiguration" does it show that Outlook is supposed to connect to the new site?

D

David Hope

Yep. Using autodiscover via test e-mail configuration shows that Outlook should be connecting to the new mailbox server.

T

tyler gohl

David you might try explicitly specifying the DC that the user is most likely to use in the EMS, for instance:

New-MoveRequest -Identity "someuser@corp.local" -BadItemLimit 20 -DomainController DC02 -TargetDatabase "Mailbox Database 01"

This resolved my issues, although my issues were with multiple domains (users in corp.local were showing disconnected, exchange server was in subdomain.corp.local, users moved in subdomain.corp.local had no issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.