Need urgent help with a mailbox move went bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

umphid

I am in the process of moving mailboxes from an Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. All the mailboxes I moved were successful except for one. That mailbox was completed but with a warning. The get-moverequeststatistics command said that it "failed to cleanup the source mailbox after the move". So I looked on the destination database and it looked like everything moved. I looked on the source database and it looked like the user was still there as well but with no items. I thought it was redundant to have both, so I deleted the mailbox from the source. Unfortunately, it also deleted the mailbox from the destination. I later found out that I shouldn't have done that and the source mailbox would eventually get cleaned up, but now I need to resolve this sitatuation.

I can undelete the mailbox from the source. In the destination, it shows up as still being on the source, but I can't access any email.

If the moved message are on the destination, I don't know where to "recover" them.

I tried to completely delete the mailbox, but I can't seem to find the user when I go through the New Mailbox with the Scope to the domain (or even entire forest). If I were to be able to create a new user, I am hoping to recover the mail items through the user's OST file.

U

umphid

When I was running that command, it said it was on the source database still.

It got to the point where I couldn't restore the deleted mailbox on the source database using the Reconnect option. It also ended up deleting the user in the active directory and I needed to act fast, so I ended up creating a new user with the same login (which is causing many other issues but that's a different story).

Is there an easy (and free) way to restore the old email using the OST file? For example, can I allow the user to create a new profile and everything and simply replace the OST file and it will upload the files back to the database or do I have to do something different?

A

Amit Tank [MVP]

Since user is also recreated it is difficult to attach the OST file as security identification of the user object won't mach and I afraid that last resort you have is to restore it from the last backup. :(

Amit Tank
MVP: Exchange Server | MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M
Blog: http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com | User Group: http://MUC-UG.org.in

U

umphid

Somehow, the mailbox appeared in the Disconnected Mailboxes a day or two later. I created a new temporary user and reconnected the mailbox to that user. I am currently waiting for the user's permission to disconnect the two mailboxes again and reconnect them back, swapping the mailboxes.

U

umphid

I did what I said I was going to do, disconnect the mailboxes and swap them. However, one thing I would like to add to anyone else reading is that I had to manually run a Clean-MailboxDatabase command to get one of the mailboxes to appear in the Disconnected Mailboxes. If I had done that the first day, most likely I would have seen the original mailbox and not have gone through the temporary user and mailbox hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.