Re: Outlook 2010 will not open links. Receive following message, 'This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this comput

J

Jeff Ames

Brian, I respecfully disagree. Problem is indeed with Outlook 2010. I was running beta with no problems and immediately after installing full version, the problem began. I had already tried the link you suggested with no results. I appreciate you taking the time to help, but I'm concerned that this is yet another trick from Microsot to sabotage its competition. I'll probably have to uninstall Firefox & Chrome & repair registry before problem goes away. I might as well uninstall Office 2010 & go back to 2007 Pro. Jeff

C

Chyavan, Microsoft CSR

Hi,

The issue is with the html and htm file association, you can resolve it by importing the reg key from another computer. Please let me know the Operating system you are using so that I can post the link to download the reg file.

Chyavan

J

Jeff Ames

Chyavan,

I'm running Windows 7. But again, both comments seem to imply that installing the full version of Office 2010 had nothing to do with this problem. But isn't it a coincidence that problem began IMMEDIATELY after installing the full version. As a matter of fact, I had been running the Beta since it came out without any problems. Anyways, i got that out of my system. Appreciate the help.

v/r

Jeff

J

Jeff Ames

Niyamath,

I clicked on the link and selected the "fix it" link and got the following error, "This Microsoft Fix it does not apply to your operating system of application version."

Jeff

J

Jeff Ames

The fixes referred to in this thread are for Office 2007, not Office 2010.

Jeff

Brian Tillman

Disagree if you like, the problem, as Chyavan says, lies in the HTML file type associations. Manually repair them in the registry and it should work again.
----------------------------

J

Jeff Ames

Brian,

OBE. If you read the threat, I did edit the registry by adding the folder "command" and the stringline "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer|IEXPLORE.EXE -nohome" As I mentioned to Chyavan, the error message went away, but Outlook still doesn't recognize the hyperlink and it is now prompting me for a program to run the link each time I click on the link within Outlook. If you have suggestions to fix this, please let me know.

Jeff

J

Jeff Ames

Folks,

I opted to do a full system restore from a backup (Acronis True Image) and then added the command folder with the stringline "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer|IEXPLORE.EXE -nohome". I rebooted the notebook and now the hyperlinks work. I appreciate everyone's involvement and support. Cheers.

v/r

WILLIAM J. AMES, Lieutenant Colonel, USAF, Retired

Assistant Professor

U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
Lewis and Clark Center
Fort Leavenworth, KS 66207
(913) 684-4132