DAG log shipping

• Thread starter channavera
  • Start date Views 701
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

channavera

Hi All,
Can the log shipping be scheduled, when the DAG is spread across multiple AD sites; in case of a slow WAN link between the AD sites?

swamy

B

Bharani.Billapati

I don't think you have an option to schedule log shipping.

Thanks

Bharani

M

Mark E. Smith [MCM]

In theory you could use a powershell script to suspend-replication to these copies and then resume-replication at night and then schedule that task. Just keep in mind that the maximum latency that is supported is 250ms between all dag members. So if your link is slow enough where you're faced with this type of situation you might be running into other situations with cluster latency which ultimately may result in loss of quorum.

Mark
Mark E. Smith
Practice Manager, Unified Communications
Capax Global Consulting
My Blog - http://blogs.capaxglobal.com/markesmith

M

Mark Arnold [MVP]

To add.....

If you've got bandwidth problems with log shipping you shouldn't be using the DAG. The logs being shipped are very little compared to running in DR if you activate the servers at the other end. Think about that aspect before you deploy a cross-site DAG.

"channavera" wrote in message news:8bfc739d-9611-4f5c-a958-3d962069b582...

Hi All,
Can the log shipping be scheduled, when the DAG is spread across multiple AD sites; in case of a slow WAN link between the AD sites?
swamyMark Arnold, Exchange MVP.

J

jader3rd

How would scheduling help in the event of a slow WAN link? You need to get the data over the WAN.

D

Dr. RPC

How would scheduling help in the event of a slow WAN link? You need to get the data over the WAN.

May be the question asker wants the log copying to be done only at night etc when there not much load on the WAN?

I am not sure how to answer the question.

By default DAG will use port 64327 to push the data from active to passive copy. May be you can try to block the port 64327 for the time period you do not want the log copy to happen.

Having said that, the whole idea of this scheduling thing sounds scary and unsupported.

Thanks
"Gimme a whiskey, ginger ale on the side. And don't be stingy, baby."

M

Mark E. Smith [MCM]

Yes, I'm assuming the only reason you would want to do this is to have an off-side copy of the DB that you would block from activation. So log gen is typically going to occur during the day, then the shipping could occur at night.

Lots of assumptions and probably not a good design but it answers the original question...

Mark
Mark E. Smith
Practice Manager, Unified Communications
Capax Global Consulting
My Blog - http://blogs.capaxglobal.com/markesmith

C

channavera

Hi All,
Thanks for your comments, I know that scheduling log shipping doesn't make sense in DAG. Just wanted to know what Exchnage Gurus would feel about it.

Thanks again

swamy

Status
Not open for further replies.