What is causing us to need Enterprise CAL's

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Alge

I was looking at the enterprise health and it is showing us needing an enterprise cal in addition to the standard cal for each user with a mailbox (500+). Most of the setup of Exchange Standard was out of the box and didn't think we activated any premium services, but it is possible. Is there any software that can analyze what is requiring the Enterprise CAL's? Based on a quote we got earlier in the year for the Enterprise cal's, it is a cost that we cannot fit into our budget this year or next as we need more storage before we need to be looking at Enterprise. Whatever it is that is causing us to report Enterprise CAL's, we need to remove or disable those options.

B

Blackuke

Hi David,

In general, we look at the following to calculate E-cals:

Advanced Activesync

Transport Rules with RMS templates

UM enabled

Archive Enabled

MRM 2.0 Policy enabled

Managed Custom folder enabled

E-discovery enabled

Jornaling enabled

For E-discovery, if you have an Administrator as part of the "Discovery Management" Role Group, with default a RBAC scope, then all users in your ORG, are searchable in an E-discovery search.

D

David Alge

Hi David,

In general, we look at the following to calculate E-cals:

Advanced Activesync

Transport Rules with RMS templates

UM enabled

Archive Enabled

MRM 2.0 Policy enabled

Managed Custom folder enabled

E-discovery enabled

Jornaling enabled

For E-discovery, if you have an Administrator as part of the "Discovery Management" Role Group, with default a RBAC scope, then all users in your ORG, are searchable in an E-discovery search.

On the Advance ActiveSync, I'm not sure if it is configured or not. I took the default ActiveSync policy and made no modifications. I did look at it briefly last weekend and saw everything on the device and device applications checked and the bluetooth enabled. I did disable bluetooth and took all checkmarks off each item, but it still reported needing the Ent Cals. Because I could not tell the difference, I put everything back the way it was.

The only transport rule in use in our Exchange is to monitor emails sent by a few users and then send them to their managers for moderation.

Unified Messaging was not installed.

Archive was turned on my mailbox back during the original install. Once I found out that it was an enterprise feature, I removed the archive. I don't think no other mailbox is configured with archive. Is there a script I can run to see if there are any mailboxes that have the archive enabled? I've searched and cannot find one.

There are no Managed folder policies enabled at the moment.

We have no users in the Discovery Management group.

Journaling is enabled only on the databases themselves. Would this require a Enterprise CAL? I turned it off and could not tell the difference.

Thanks,

David Alge

W

WParish

I've noticed the exact symptom. I've gone so far as to disable active sync on my mailbox, and sure enough the number of enterprise CALs goes down by 1.

I find the wording on all the pages confusing. If it's saying turning the features on requires an exchange cal or whether it's saying disabling them requires a cal isn't clear. But I've created two policies. One named standard with everything unchecked, and on called enterprise with everything checked.

Either policy seems to count as an enterprise cal. The only way I can get it to count standard is to disable it completely. There must be something in one of the tabs that counts as enterprise.

I suppose now I can start systematically unticking them but if there's more than one setting finding the right combination may prove beyond me.

Please if you figure this out post a follow up for the resolution.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.