Exchange 2010 MMC slow with multiple CAs servers

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smg1966

Hi,

I have a 3 site exchange 2010 install with 3 different sites. One of the sites is on a slow link. When using the EMC and clicking on server configuration then client access it can take nearly 10 minutes for the settings to display even if I have clicked the local server. This happens on all three servers EMC's and is very annoying. I normally end up using powershell and defining the local server when i need to make a change as this happens instantly.

It appears to be getting all the information from all the servers and waits for this until i can do anything with the console.

I could cope with this on this system as it is just annoying, but I am starting to roll out Exchange 2010 on another system which has 10 sites which nearly all of them have unreliable and slow connections (they are in remote parts of the world). This will be almost unusable if it has to poll all the sites before letting you do anything.

anyone else had this or have any suggestions

T

Thiyagu14

Hi,

Depends, how is your AD setup on these different sites?

EMC reads info from AD.

thanks

Thiyagu

S

smg1966

so how is exchange 2010 going to work on a system with 10 remote sites with dodgy links?

they currently have exchange 2003 which just uses the local server when making changes. e.g. you click on the server and make the change. If you want to make the change to another server you make the change locally on that server

All servers are in different AD sites and ad replication copes fine as the links have all been configured (just takes a while)

Am i supposed to tell the client that if they want to change anything in EMC to do with a server config, just open the console click the server and wait half an hour and then you can make the change?

Surely MS must have thought about this as not everyone has multiple datacenters with fast links.

This site has one good site with a 100mb link and currently 9 other sites all with 128k or 256k satelite links as where they are based they have no other option.

X

Xiu Zhang

Hi,

First please verify if you have GC/DC in each site.

Then please check if you have CAS in each site.

Regards,

Xiu

S

smg1966

yes AD is setup correctly as if i did not have a DC/GC/DNS server in each site the servers would not even work.

setup is one main office with 100mb connection. 2 dc/GC, 2 * Exchange HT/CAS/MB configured as DAG with a hardware load balancer for the CAS.

remote sites all have Exchange 2003 except for one new site that has 2 dc/GC, 2 * Exchange HT/CAS/MB configured as DAG with a hardware load balancer for the CAS.

I have setup numerous systems and have upgraded a similar system with 2007 with no issues.

The problem is just limited to the EMC as it appears to poll all the servers with CAS on it. I timed how long it takes on the main site to look at the CAS information of the local server e.g. OWA virtual directory and it actually takes 8 mins before i can view or modify i setting.

S

smg1966

further to this i have done some more testing and I am even more disapointed with the EMC in 2010

one of our exchange 2010 sites is currently offline as the link is down and they are alphabetically the first e.g. siteA

if i open EMC on siteB and browse to the CAS and click on any of siteB servers after about 10 minutes while it comes back with an error saying IIS directory entry could not be created running get-oabvirtual directory. Both OAB and OWA tabs on siteB servers says there are no items to show although i know they are configured

If i goto EMS and run get-oabvirtual directory it fails after a few minutes saying sitea oab is unavailable (which is obviously what the EMC is doing) .

if i use the -server switch and specify siteb it works instantly and i can then configure the settings thorugh EMS

Fine for me as i know how to use EMS but the majority of our clients internal IT do not and keep asking me why the console keeps coming up with errors.

Its really poor programming to have a management tool that requires all servers throughout an organisation to be operational with fast links just to be able to use it and configure a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Re: Exchange 2010 MMC fails to open Exchange Server Administration 1
C Exchange 2010 mmc and port error Exchange Server Administration 2
Diane Poremsky Organizational Forms Library in Exchange 2010 New Slipstick.com Articles 0
V Recover exchange 2010 edb Exchange Server Administration 2
B Exchange 2010 / Outlook 20070 "client error in synchronization log" Exchange Server Administration 1
T Renaming an Resource in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
P Outlook 2010 MS Exchange Calendar to Android- ical or webdav? Using Outlook 1
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2010 or 2013 Dual Configuration Exchange + IMAP Exchange Server Administration 6
H In Exchange 2010, how to block an email containing an attachment that has foreign characters Exchange Server Administration 1
Digitally Hip Outlook 2010 (32) and Exchange 2010 (sp3) sender info not displaying in Outlook Using Outlook 1
A give User Read Only access to secondary mailbox in Exchange 2010 via AD Exchange Server Administration 1
N Outlook 2010 exchange - auto-move emails from @domain Exchange Server Administration 1
V Outlook 2013 cant stay connected to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
D cleaning up old Exchange 2003 data on Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
L Weird Inbox problems Outlook 2010/13 and Exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
R Exchange 2013/Outlook 2010 Slow Startups Exchange Server Administration 8
Z Outlook 2010 client to Exchange ,,,,search not working proparly Exchange Server Administration 0
M First post -help with managing two calendars Outlook 2010 /Exchange 2010 Using Outlook 0
T Outlook INBOX emails gone back 2-3 weeks after Exchange Server 2010 Restart Using Outlook 0
A Exchange 2003 Outlook 2010 64 Bit- AutoDiscover Connection Err - Certificate Exchange Server Administration 9
C Outlook 2010, two exchange mailboxes configured.Unable to see 2ndrymeeting req Using Outlook 2
C Exchange 2010 / Emails received show with display name and not email address Using Outlook 2
P correct public folder migration exchange 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
S Unable to send or reeceive email in new Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 0
A File - Save Attachments does nothing in Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2010 ... Using Outlook 3
B Sharing Multiple Outlook 2010 Calendars (Exchange) Exchange Server Administration 4
P can't set IRM configuration in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
B Using hosted exchange to sync outlook 2010 calendars and contacts to BB Z10 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2010/Exchange 2010 Multi Mailboxes (Server unavailable) Using Outlook 6
O outlook 2010, owa, exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
D why do exchange contacts not sync properly from outlook 2011 to outlook 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
J Exchange 2010 free/busy shows hashmarks in scheduling tab when not organizer Exchange Server Administration 6
C Exchange 2010 - Outlook 2010 - Exchange Server Administration 4
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2010 wont remember Exchange Credentials on log off /shutdown of Win7 Exchange Server Administration 2
T Exchange 2010: 'could not save item' and 'Unknown error' when edit calendars Exchange Server Administration 1
I Shared Contacts in Outlook 2010 and Exchange Server 2010 Using Outlook 4
A emails disappearing from inbox outlook 2010 exchange server 2010 major trouble Exchange Server Administration 6
J OL2003 Public Folder Sync Errors w/ Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 11
B Outlook 2010 won't configure exchange account, 0kb .ost file Exchange Server Administration 5
R Thousand of sync issues on Outlook clients with Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
R Create a contacts list on Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 10
T Exchange / Outlook 2010 - How to cancel meetings but retain the calendar entry Using Outlook 4
S Outlook Quick Steps - Exchange 2003 / Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
R Sharing Exchange 2010 calendars with people outisde our organization Exchange Server Administration 17
A Exchange 2010 Outlook 2010 and Local Failures sync issue Exchange Server Administration 5
B Exchange 2010 / Outlook 2010 - Group Folder issues Exchange Server Administration 6
U Exchange 2010 & mailbox database Quotas Exchange Server Administration 1
T Outlook 2010/Exchange 2003: Meeting Organizer doesn't show Using Outlook 1
C Outlook/Exchange 2010 Recover Deleted Items to original folder Using Outlook 2
D large mailbox question using 2010 on exchange 2k3 Exchange Server Administration 2