: How do I track what messages are filling up my Exchange mailboxes/log directories

• Thread starter ApprissIT
  • Start date Views 477
A

ApprissIT

ast night one of my MDBs went offline (dirty shutdown) because I ran out of space on the partition that holds the log files for that particular DB. The DB is 100GB, and the log file partition is 20GB, which is normally more than enough space, but the logs filled up.
What I'm trying to figure out is how to go back and determine what message(s) came in and filled everything up. Is there a historical tool that can help me determine this?
Also, I'm aware of how the log files get deleted after archive, and normally they do archive and delete properly (they didn't last night because the DB went offline before the backup agent ran), so that's not the problem.
Thanks!

T

Triton.Deep

Nothing I'm aware of honestly. However; you usually see that sort of thing when mailboxes are moved between servers. Did any type of migration of users to this mailbox server occur last night?

J.

A

ApprissIT

Nope, no moves (I enable circular logging when I do mailbox transfers). I keep looking for some kind of log file that would indicate what all came in and possibly their sizes, but can't find anything like that.

N

Neil Hobson [MVP]

You could examine the message tracking logs for abnormal behaviour, such as a looping message for example.

"ApprissIT" wrote in message news:eb27646f-a487-4acc-ace4-5f969554ac1d@communitybridge.codeplex .com...
Nope, no moves (I enable circular logging when I do mailbox transfers). I keep looking for some kind of log file that would indicate what all came in and possibly their sizes, but can't find anything like that. Neil Hobson, Exchange MVP

T

Thiyagu14

If you also have daily exports or user stats, you can refer that for the difference in mailbox size and find if there is some huge size difference with any of the mailboxes?