OWA 2007 not displaying (blank page)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Goosen

Hi there..

I also had this problem, took a while to figure it out..

At first the page would not load and there would be a yellow exclamation mark in the bottom left corner, if you click that it would say "syntax error on line 7 of login.aspx" or something to that effect. After trying may things, I removed and then re-created the OWA virtual directory in IIS using . After this, the yellow exclamation mark in the bottom left corner went away and you were presented with a blank white page.

After much search around for some log file or explanation for why this was happening, I once again recreated the OWA virtual directory, checked all rights and permissions and still the blank white page.

In absolute desperation, I looked at the code in the source code for the OWA site, here are some of the relevant bits:

<!-- Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. -->

<!-- OwaPage = ASP.auth_logon_aspx -->

<!-- {57A118C6-2DA9-419d-BE9A-F92B0F9A418B} -->

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC " -//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" >

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv=" Content-Type" content=" text/html; CHARSET=utf-8" >

<meta name=" Robots" content=" NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW" >

<title>Microsoft Exchange - Outlook Web Access</title>

<link type=" text/css" rel=" stylesheet" href=" /owa/8.0.709.0/themes/base/logon.css" >

<link type=" text/css" rel=" stylesheet" href=" /owa/8.0.709.0/themes/base/owafont.css" >

<script type=" text/javascript" src=" /owa/8.0.709.0/scripts/premium/flogon.js" ></script>

Compared to another server of mine:

<!-- Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. -->

<!-- OwaPage = ASP.auth_logon_aspx -->

<!-- {57A118C6-2DA9-419d-BE9A-F92B0F9A418B} -->

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC " -//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" >

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv=" Content-Type" content=" text/html; CHARSET=utf-8" >

<meta name=" Robots" content=" NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW" >

<title>Microsoft Exchange - Outlook Web Access</title>

<link type=" text/css" rel=" stylesheet" href=" /owa/8.0.685.24/themes/base/logon.css" >

<link type=" text/css" rel=" stylesheet" href=" /owa/8.0.685.24/themes/base/owafont.css" >

<script type=" text/javascript" src=" /owa/8.0.685.24/scripts/premium/flogon.js" ></script>

Notice the difference in the paths.. the OWA virtual directory looks like this: (http://www.g7web.net/downloads/owa1.jpg)

Perhaps a dodgy update on the 29th or something, whatever the reason the files in the 8.0.709.0 folder don't seem to be working, so, I used the files from the 8.0.685.24 folder and copied them into the 8.0.709.0 folder, now everything works!

Not sure what update of patch caused the problem, will do some more investigation into it.

Hope this helps someone.

Chris

A

ArtStaden

Issue 2 toward the bottom of this Microsoft Knowledgebase article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/935490/en-us

explains that this problem (which I also suffered from) is caused by executing Update Rollup 2 for Exchange 2007 after having moved, renamed, or deleted the C:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder. I deleted mine after completing the install of Exchange, thinking that it was no longer needed.

The solution according to the article is to replace the folder or to recreate an empty folder and then to reapply the Rollup 2 update. The article supplies a link to the update. I created an empty folder and applied the update and OWA then worked like a charm.

I hope this helps others that suffer the same fate (and I have seen several posts out there!).

Art

D

Daniel Ma Gill

Everyone,
I am having the same problem as several others, but can not seem to get it resolved with the information here…

My setup is as follows:

Single Exchange 2003 Server supporting OWA, Mailboxes, Public folders and RPC-HTTP " works great, as designed, installed like a piece of cake 4 years ago.

Setting up a new Exchange 2007 SP1 server on Windows Server 2008 x64 Enterprise Edition (I have done about a dozen Exchange 2003 installs in the last 5 years, never had this many headaches, glad to see we are improving the install process along with the application " HINT, HINT)

The new server is also an all in one setup as once my mailboxes can be moved, the old server gets reloaded. So it is a BRAND NEW, Clean 2008 install with 2007 SP1 and for better or worse SP1 rollup update 1 for Exchange (this was installed directly behind the Exchange install so I do not know if OWA was working or not prior…)

I get the same reason 0 answer as everyone else, but deleting the folder and reinstalling update 1 did not help

Removing and reinstalling CAS did not help

I have a wildcard SSL Cert installed and set to be used by everything (the blank page does show it is secured by godaddy.com)

Copying the 8.1.240.5 " over the top 8.1.263.0 did not help

Uninstalling rollup 1, uninstalling CAS and reinstalling CAS did not help

Any Thoughts Comments or concerns would be appreciated

Thanks,

Daniel Ma Gill

M

Mike Crowley

I had this error today and removing the sp1 rollup1 (rollup6) solved my problem. I've actually had lots of problems with these various rollups on several different client sites!

A

Antonius138

Did you ever get any resolution to this? I have Exchange Server 2007 SP1 installed on Windows Server 2008 as well. I have an empty 8.1.263.0 directory but 8.1.240.5 is full and correct.

Thanks,

Anthony

C

ceidson

Hi Daniel
I was having the same issue w/ all of the ***exact*** same problems you have listed. In my case, windows update had updated my server to SP1 rollup 1 prior to the client access role being applied. I thought i had tried everything and was really surprised when i got it working. This is what worked for me:

Un install SP1 rollup 1 from " installed updates" . (owa still doesn't work at this point)

browse to your exchange install via windows explorer. go to the owa folder and delete folder/directory 8.1.263.0

start IIS 7 mgr and browse to the owa application > then expand the owa app. you will prob. still see an app / directory for 8.1.263.0 (I did) ? Right click on 8.1.263.0 and select remove.

now re-run the msp for exchange 2007 sp1 - rollup 1 (the file i ran was: Exchange2007-KB945684-x64-EN.msp).

notice that at the complete of the rollup 1 install you'll see a message saying the .net app needs to be created (never saw this before)...this took a good few minutes to complete. once this was done, i launched my exchange site / owa and (among the shock!) it worked....

this was something i had been working on for 2 days....and i couldn't find a single post that addressed this issue with SP1 rollup 1 (everyone talks about rollups withOUT sp1..)

hope this helps.

Curtis

Here is my updateowa.log file. the first 2 did not work...and the last one did...interesting (notice the log file says it is removing the app/metabase...but must have not been working correctly).

[08:56:18] ***********************************************

[08:56:18] * UpdateOwa.ps1: 4/19/2008 8:56:18 AM

[08:56:20] CAS role is not installed on server EXCH01

[12:20:07] ***********************************************

[12:20:07] * UpdateOwa.ps1: 4/26/2008 12:20:07 PM

[12:20:10] Updating OWA on server EXCH01

[12:20:10] Finding OWA install path on the filesystem

[12:20:10] Updating OWA to version 8.1.263.0

[12:20:10] Copying files from 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\Current' to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\8.1.263.0'

[12:20:14] Getting all Exchange 2007 OWA virtual directories

[12:20:16] Found 1 OWA virtual directories.

[12:20:16] Updating OWA virtual directories

[12:20:16] Processing virtual directory with metabase path 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'.

[12:20:16] Metabase entry 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0' exists. Removing it.

[12:20:16] Creating metabase entry IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0.

[12:20:16] Configuring metabase entry 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0'.

[12:20:16] Saving changes to 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0'

[12:20:16] Saving changes to 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'

[13:28:41] ***********************************************

[13:28:41] * UpdateOwa.ps1: 4/26/2008 1:28:41 PM

[13:28:42] Updating OWA on server EXCH01

[13:28:42] Finding OWA install path on the filesystem

[13:28:42] Updating OWA to version 8.1.263.0

[13:28:42] Copying files from 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\Current' to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\8.1.263.0'

[13:28:43] Getting all Exchange 2007 OWA virtual directories

[13:28:43] Found 1 OWA virtual directories.

[13:28:43] Updating OWA virtual directories

[13:28:43] Processing virtual directory with metabase path 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'.

[13:28:43] Metabase entry 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0' exists. Removing it.

[13:28:43] Creating metabase entry IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0.

[13:28:43] Configuring metabase entry 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0'.

[13:28:43] Saving changes to 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0'

[13:28:43] Saving changes to 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'

[14:22:06] ***********************************************

[14:22:06] * UpdateOwa.ps1: 4/26/2008 2:22:06 PM

[14:22:07] Updating OWA on server EXCH01

[14:22:07] Finding OWA install path on the filesystem

[14:22:07] Updating OWA to version 8.1.263.0

[14:22:07] Copying files from 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\Current' to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\8.1.263.0'

[14:22:11] Getting all Exchange 2007 OWA virtual directories

[14:22:11] Found 1 OWA virtual directories.

[14:22:11] Updating OWA virtual directories

[14:22:12] Processing virtual directory with metabase path 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'.

[14:22:12] Creating metabase entry IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0.

[14:22:12] Configuring metabase entry 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0'.

[14:22:12] Saving changes to 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0'

[14:22:12] Saving changes to 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'

F

FunnyGhost

One of my user, suddenly getting the below erro, when he try to access his mailbox;

Outlook Web Access could not open the requested mailbox. Please verify that the address is spelled correctly. If the problem continues, contact technical support for your organization and tell them the following: No match was found for the address " smtp:XXX@nebs.com" .

Any one knows, solution for this error?

I am using Exchange 2007 SP1/Windows 2003.

C

Colin P Clifford

Many thanks to Chris for the post, after much pulling out of hair, I came across this solution and pleased to say it worked for me

Colin

P

pyrosdav

I wonder if you can help. My sitution is similiar. Everything was working fine. rollup 3 was already installed on the exchange server. I installed rollup 3 on the domain controller that runs the exchange tools and the next day users said that no one could access OWA. internally or externally. they get a blank page. I have tried to reinstall rollup three on both servers and nothing. tried to recreate OWA virtual directory, nothing. restarted both servers and also restarted IIS again. nothing

any ideas??

J

joed750

I had this issue on my exchange 2007 server. Have installed up through update rollup 4. After looking around, I decided to check the contents of the OWA sub folders at C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\Owa. I had a total of 6 of the 8.1.... folders. The last two did not have any contents withint the Themes folders, so I copied the contents from one of the others into the last one, and that corrected the issue. Hope this helps someone else!

Joe

Z

Ziggyk

I have Windows 2008 with a fresh copy of Exchange 2007 with rollup 5 installed through Windows update. I was receiving the reason=0 error for OWA. I tried every single one of these ideas and none worked. The following worked and did not affect anything on my existing Exchange 2007 server because it had the CAS role.

1. Uninstall CAS role by going to Programs and Features and clicking on Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 and clicking Uninstall

2. Deselect CAS role and uninstall

3. Remove the Owa, Autodiscover, exchweb and Sync folders from c:\program files\microsoft\exchange server\clientaccess

4. Reboot and re-install the CAS role

OWA loaded perfectly after this.

P

PaleoGirl

The exact same thing as in the initial post still happens with Microsoft Update Rollup 6. (Disgusting, eh?) Copying files from subfolders from an earlier version (e.g. ..\client access\owa\8.1.375.2 to 8.1.393.1), then recreating the OWA virtual directory fixed the issue. I did not replace any new files that were placed by the rollup.

My setup is brand new. Windows Server 2008 64 bit w/ Exchange Server 2007 SP1. We applied rollup 6 last night, this morning OWA got the yellow exclamation mark in the bottom left corner. Error seen when double-click on mark:

Line: 6

Char: 1

Code: 0

URI: https://myserver.com/owa/8.1.393.1/scripts/premium/uglobal.js

Thank you, Chris, for your initial post!

M

MÃ¥rten Holm

I had the same problem as Chris but on a newer version (the 8.1.393.1 folder). Checked IIS and the folder was not created as an Application. After that I checked permissions on the folder against another "version folder" and in my case I had to change from basic authentication to anonymous authentication. I think my problem was that I needed to login to use the files that the login page needs to login the user J. But changing to anonymous on this folder removed that problem.

I have seen this issue sometimes when developing ASP.Net sites when you want to show some images for the layout of the login page and the user does not have access to the images before logging in

/MÃ¥rten

MH

B

Bowie1979

After the recent roll up 8.1.393.1, I had to do a combination of the above:
- Copy the contents of the subfolders of the previous update (in my case C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange\ClientAccess\owa\8.1.340.0) to the same sub folders in the new 8.1.393.1 folder. The 8.1.393.1 subfolders (cabs, scripts, themes) were empty before!

- In IIS, convert the 8.1.393.1 directory to an Application and select the Owa pool.

- Change the authentication in IIS to anonymous.

- Restart IIS (I always do this after any IIS changes)

thanks for the pointers everyone, clearly something went wrong during the installation of the update. We also found that after the update nearly all of the Exchange services had been stopped and disabled!

G

Gwen H

We have Windows Server 2008 64 bit w/ Exchange Server 2007 SP1 running on two CAS servers. We were having reports of some users getting a blank page being displayed when trying to use OWA while others were fine.
Looked for empty directories (as posted above), but all looked fine. Looked at the updateowa logs on both CAS servers and I realized that the rollup 8.1.393.1 was interrupted and then restarted and it didn't install correctly on one of the servers. This would explain the hit or miss, since one CAS server was fine and the other not. It just depended on which server the user happen to hit when accessing OWA. I also noticed that the 8.1.393.1 directory in IIS was a directory and not an application on the same corrupt server (thanks to above postings). I just uninstalled the 8.1.393.1 update (Windows Update Rollup 9 for Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 - KB970162), rebooted, then reinstalled the update and it fixed everything. OWA is now functioning correctly and no more blank white pages.

V

VincentHsu

Same thing happen to our Exchange 2010 after updated to rollup 3.

During the updates, all services of Exchange were change to " Disable" without any warning ?! And then, same thing happen to our OWA, but thanks to Chris. OWA back to normal after the copy.

T

thepriory

2008 std x64 exchange 2007 sp1

I fixed the problem with my owa after running owaupdate.ps1 in exchange powershell,

I have not got the 2007 sp1 rollup 10 or sp2 to work at all. my system hung and left all services disabled at 100% so i have to reboot and reenable all exchange services and iis, then had the blank page issue. its now working but not quite running very well esm is very slow as is the server in general

so im pretty stuck on sp1 rollup 10 (ish) and im supposed to be migrating to 2010 next month

T

T.deJong

Hi Everyone,

We have the same problem.
Last night we installed the update " rollup 10 for exchange 2007 service pack 1" the update failed and reinstalled after a reboot.
The installation disabled all Exchange Service, so we enabled them all.
Everything works fine exept OWA.
IE8
In IE 8 we get a blank page with a error:
Syntax error
at line 6 character 1.

flogon.js
Code: 0

URI:https://mail.domain.com/owa/8.1.436.0/scripts/premium/flogon.js
Firefox
But, in Firefox we get the " Outlook Web Access Light Theme" a white page with a default textbox to login. When we login we get a working OWA with the normal OWA layout.

Things we tried:

I followed Bowie1979 advise and checked if the 8.1.436.0 folder was emtpy. This was not the case all the files where there.
In IIS, i converted the 8.1.436.0 folder to an Application and selected the MSExchangeOWAAppPool

And checked the IIS authentication for anonymous.

These steps where not a solution for our problem.
Anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks,

Thierry

S

scc.rickm

I just installed Rollup 10 for Exchange 2007 SP1 and we are experiencing the same problem now with OWA. We did not experience the problem with the services running at 100% -- just the OWA problem. We get the blank page instead of the login page when using IE, and we get the 'OWA Light' login page with FireFox. The difference we have with the problems described by T.deJong in this forum is that even with FireFox we are stuck in the OWA Light mode after login.

Hope there is a fix for this soon. My people are not going to be happy with this. I would back out of the rollup but fear it will cause bigger problems.

S

scc.rickm

We got ours working (see post 23 hours ago) by opening a case with Microsoft Support. Our Rollup 10 was originally installed by the Windows Update Service. The Microsoft support tech did a lot of poking around, but it appeared that what fixed the problem was removing the Rollup (by going to Control Panel -> Programs and Features, Click View Updates, Uninstall Rollup 10) and then installing it again using the downloaded installer at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6a894b4e-12b6-4a91-9555-d813956b6aac&displaylang=en. One reboot later and it was working OK.

Here is the description of the case resolution. The OWA virtual directory was removed and recreated using the Exchange Shell commands 'Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory' and 'Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory'.

Problem &ndash; Users with mailboxes on Exchange server 2007 " SERVER8" are unable to login in to Outlook web access and they are getting error " flogon.js" syntax error."

Resolution &ndash;

1) Uninstalled update rollup 10 of Exchange server 2007 sp1.

2) Rebooted Exchange server.

3) Installed Update rollup 10 of Exchange server 2007 sp1.

4) Rebooted Exchange server.

5) Took IIS backup and deleted and recreated Outlook web access virtual directory.

6) Restarted IIS and fixed the issue.

Articles:-

Update Rollup 10 for Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 (KB981407)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6a894b4e-12b6-4a91-9555-d813956b6aac&displaylang=en

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Outlook 2007 unable to view new/unread emails in Inbox, but OWA 2007 have not issue displaying/listi Using Outlook 6
J IPAD Outlook OWA App - Help using Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 4
R Lost Outlook 2007 message found in OWA Using Outlook 4
T Syncing OWA 2010 to Outlook 2007 Exchange Server Administration 15
J Missing options in OWA Premium 2007 for some users Using Outlook 0
A Exchange 2007 <-> 2010 OWA not working together redirecting problem Exchange Server Administration 1
Z Exchange 2007 Transitioning to Exchange 2010 SP 1, and OWA User Redirect or Proxying Exchange Server Administration 1
J BAD REQUEST - when trying to use the OWA Calender web part in MOSS 2007 Exchange Server Administration 1
S Web links do not work with OWA 2007 Using Outlook 4
P Blank page opening document through Direct Access in OWA from Exchange 2007 SP3 Using Outlook 3
R How can I get my Outlook 2007 Calendar to synch with OWA Calendar? Using Outlook 1
A cannot access OWA or connect to exchange 2007 via outook. Using Outlook 5
H Exchange 2007 - After Installing Forefront on My Exchange , OWA encountered an error Using Outlook 2
H Outlook 2007 periodically disconnects from Exchange 2010 CAS - OWA works Using Outlook 4
M Remove download or save target as option with attachments in OWA 2007 Using Outlook 3
P OWA Light 2007 Folder Management does not show all folders Using Outlook 3
C System.Web.HttpRequestValidationException in OWA 2007 Using Outlook 1
J "Clip" icon appear in Microsoft Outlook 2010 / Exchange 2007 OWA Message, but no attachment inside Using Outlook 4
L OWA 2007 disable autocomplete Using Outlook 3
T OWA 2007 recent recipients and OWA 2010 nicknames Exchange Server Administration 5
A Public folder accessable from Outlook 2007, 2010, but not through OWA Exchange Server Administration 6
M OWA (2003,2007,2010) How to enable or Disable efficiently in Bulk range Like Database/Storage Group/Server Exchange Server Administration 3
G IE9 Jump Lists &amp; OWA 2007/2010 Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2003/2007/2010 not showing attachments but OWA does Using Outlook 6
L OL 2007 not communicating with OWA ME 2007 (error 12031) Using Outlook 1
M OWA redirection issue with Exchange 2007-2010 coexistence Exchange Server Administration 9
I OWA Multiple Signatures on Outlook 2007 or 2010?? Using Outlook 2
T Exchange 2010 SP1 OWA Integration with OCS 2007 R2 Exchange Server Administration 2
H Exchange 2007 OWA asks for password change on some user accounts Using Outlook 2
A OWA 2007 spell check stopped working for our language Using Outlook 2
A OWA in exchange 2007 Using Outlook 3
T OWA Exchange 2007 usage report. Using Outlook 2
C OWA 2007 New Message Error - Outlook Web Access was unable to access the Active Directory resource Using Outlook 2
V OWA 2007 Password Expiration Notification Using Outlook 2
C How to view other's ( who delegated me ) mailbox in EXCHANGE 2007 's OWA or OUTLOOK 2010? Exchange Server Administration 2
S OWA (Exchange 2007 vs. Exchange 2010) Using Outlook 3
W Exchange 2010 Server Hosting OWA for Exchange 2007 Clients? Exchange Server Administration 4
N Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 - Unable to connect using outlook (OWA fine) Exchange Server Administration 2
R Changed password and new password working with OWA 2007 Using Outlook 2
S Public Folders Scheduling Assistant OWA 2007 Using Outlook 2
A OWA Exchange 2007 - The old password is incorect Using Outlook 1
S cant delete email From Draft of OWA 2007 Using Outlook 11
J Unable to access public folders in Outlook 2007 on Exchange 2010. OWA PF works fine Using Outlook 7
A Do unlimited distribution lists created in Outlook 2007 SP2 work in OWA 2003? Exchange Server Administration 3
D OWA 2007 showing a GAL name which does not exist anymore Using Outlook 4
S HTML format is lost in e-mail OWA 2003 to OWA 2007 Using Outlook 3
R Re: Exchange 2010 OWA reprompts for auth when redirecting 2007 user Exchange Server Administration 1
R OWA 2007 - Empty the deleted items folder on logoff Using Outlook 2
S OWA 2007 remove spaces in filename attachments with underscores Using Outlook 1
D Mail sent from OWA has different signature font size in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4