New-OwaVirtualDirectory : An error occurred while creating the IIS virtual directory

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

exchadmin

Tried a variety of things and still end up with the following error.

New-OwaVirtualDirectory : An error occurred while creating the IIS virtual directory 'IIS://mailserver.weareone.com/W3SVC/

1/ROOT/owa' on 'mailserver'.

At line:1 char:24

+ New-OWAVirtualDirectory <<<< -OWAVersion " Exchange2007" -Name " owa" -Website " Default Web Site"

I really don't want to uninstall IIS/reinstall IIS, Service Pack IIS, Uninstall the CAS, Reinstall the CAS, create the Owa Virtual Directory again and hope it works without losing any data. What are the steps (exactly)?

There are so many postings on the Internet asking a repeat or slight variation of my question, I got to believe this is a major malfunction " BUG" with Exchange 2007. Is there somewhere I can go to get a step-by-step guide on getting owa up and running again? OWA was working until we uninstalled Exchange 2003. Yes, we followed the instructions to the letter and properly uninstalled 2003. Immediately after, OWA stopped working.

We viewed several postings instructing us to remove all of the OWA virtual directories and recreate them using the Management Shell. Well, this did not work! It is disconcerting to see the largest company in the world produce a major product such as Exchange with inherent problems that impact employee productivity without some sort of article or Knowledge base answer. I'm waiting for SP1 since we appear to be stuck with 2007. My other question is, can we go back to Exchange 2003 where things were very smooth and everything worked according to the documentation? Just my opinion, but, Exchange 2007 really feels like a beta product. Major functionality fails and there's no way to fix it without major downtime and reinstallation of major components. I must be missing something.

HELP!

P

Polat AKTURK

Hello All
I have Same Problem, Unfortunately, also react as same as you....but i can't get any pozitive result..

D

Deli Pro-Exchange

If you remove the CAS role and reinstall then you won't loose any mailbox data!

Deli

W

Will Spridgen

Exchange2007 won't let you uninstall once you bomb off on the install.

Has anyone gotten around the problem of:

" ErrorRecord: An error occurred while creating the IIS virtual directory 'IIS://MyserverName/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa' on 'EXCHANGE2007'"

It seems sort of crazy that Microsoft makes it so hard to install their new Flagship Mail Server. Microsoft has been no help at all.

If anyone has a work around I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Will

B

Brian A. Jones

Yes!

I suspect that the base problem is that IIS is running in 32-bit compatibility mode.

However, once you start the install, how do you wipe out the CAS and start over?

That old fallback - command line tools!

Check out this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124273.aspx  It tells you how to do cool stuff!

For example, to remove the Client Access server role from an existing server, type the following:

%LocalExchangeInstallationDir%\bin\Setup.com /role:ClientAccess /Mode:Uninstall

(My %blahblahblah% didn't work, so I did a CD to the Exchange program directory)

After wiping out CAS, during the reinstall the IIS error popped up, and I had to follow the recommended action, which was:

Microsoft® Exchange Server 2007 setup cannot continue because the Microsoft Internet Information Service (IIS) is running in 32-bit mode on this 64-bit computer.

Exchange 2007 requires that IIS be in full 64-bit mode when it runs on a 64-bit computer.

To resolve this issue, switch IIS to 64-bit mode, and then rerun Microsoft Exchange setup.

To switch IIS to 64-bit mode

Open a command prompt.

Type the following:

cscript c:\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs SET /w3svc/AppPools/Enable32BitAppOnWin64 False

Press enter

*** Then it worked!!!!! ***

Hope that helps.

-Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Date and/or time error in Outlook Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Run-time error '430' on certain emails when trying to set "Outlook.mailitem" as "ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E Complite error on SaveAsFile method Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
D Outlook VBA error extracting property data from GetRules collection Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
A Unable to save recurring Meeting to Documents folder due to error Using Outlook 2
M Compile error: User-defined type not defined Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Error when trying to forward current email item Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
M ERROR: None of your email accounts could send to this recipient Using Outlook 2
J OLADD.FAE Error When Exporting Contacts Using Outlook 6
C Send/receive error 80040119 Using Outlook 2
W error with the permission for the file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Outlook 2019 MAC sync error after working for 4 hours Using Outlook 1
A Run time error 424. object required in outlook 2013 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
M error code 0x8DE00006 Using Outlook 1
M Desktop Version Of Outlook Generating Error Using Outlook 4
M Send/Receive error 0x800CCC0F Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2016 CSV Translator Import Error Using Outlook 6
ManaarZakaria I'm afraid of this issue, cause of strange error Exchange Server Administration 2
P Suppress dialog box on email check error? Using Outlook 5
vodkasoda Object could not be found Error in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S VBA Macro - Run-time error '424': object required - Help Please Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
avant-guvnor Outlook.Application now produces error Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
P Run Time Error 91 when linking contact to task in VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Error 0x80090326 when trying to setup IMAP account on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
N Saving And Deleting Outlook Attachments with Unknown Error Message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Dennis Gaudenzi Your setup couldn't be started because of an unexpected error (mapi 0x80040604) Using Outlook 14
M Outlook 2013 fails to start -- missing WindowsCodecs.dll error Using Outlook 3
Steshelter ICloud Unexpected Error Using Outlook 5
Rupert Dragwater "there was an error reading this theme" Using Outlook 3
A Error: The name cannot be matched to a name in the address list Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
S Error using AddressEntry.GetContact - need help Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Outlook - 2013 - Error msg when copying folders from Online Archives to another user's mailbox Using Outlook 0
Vijay Error in rule- Run a script Using Outlook 1
B Automation error running VB macro code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
J Object Variable or With Block Not Set Error in Outlook 2016 and not Outlook 2013 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Macro to copy email to excel - Runtime Error 91 Object Variable Not Set Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
Diane Poremsky The Attachment Size Exceeds the Allowable Limit Error New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky RMS Error: System clock has been tampered with New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Error Opening Outlook and Control Panel's Mail Applet New Slipstick.com Articles 0
K Error: Paper Size Invalid Using Outlook 0
M Error 0x 800CCC92 Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook Error Message New Slipstick.com Articles 0
S Autosave attachments error using Len Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Error 75 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Copy email to excel runtime error 5020 Using Outlook 5
B "The properties of the message…have been changed" error Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
I Windows 10 - .msg files on disk show Explorer popup error Using Outlook 5
M Outlook 2010 Error: Your IMAP server closed the connection Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
T Client-side rules not working, but no error Using Outlook 1