Outlook 2007 keeps prompting for credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TonyParker

I've seen so many articles on this and it still plagues me.  I've had enough.

I am in a pure Exchange 2007 environment.

SCC Mailbox Server

Hub & CAS are on a different Server but together.

Outlook 2007 is installed on my workstation.

I setup a profile using the auto-discover process (default) and I am prompted for a passwrod to my hub and CAS?  I enter in the CORRECT credentials and I am prompted again.  Remembering months ago that I was unable (or unwilling) to resolve this annoyance I hit cancel and chose to set it up manually.  this worked using the Exchange Clustered Mailbox name.

As soon as the profile is setup and I am into Outlook I'm prompted again! wow, what is this? I enter in the CORRECT credentials AGAIN and i am repeatedly prompted.  after hitting cancel 30 times i continue on with my work. 

..but then I close and re-open Outlook, same process all over again.  the Windows prompt is prompting me for creds on domain.com (my domain)  what is going on here.  i have not even had a chance to configure (break) anything....is this default behaviour for exchange 2007/Outlook 2007?  I know I am missing something here but I just can't seem to get around this.

I have tried most MS KB articles out there (can't find the links to provide)

Yes, I'm on the Domain

Yes, I have decided to set it up manually and chose not to use Auto-discover, which to me at this point is a terrible feature. 

Yes, my bottom right corner of Outlook 2007 says "Online with Microsoft Exchange"

Outlook 2003 clients do not have this problem which tells me this is something in Outlook.  I can uninstall Outlook 2007 and replace it with Outlook 2003, same workstation, same user logged in with no problems.

Whats going on here?

thanks

P

Panda1980

I think i have had a similar problem, i found that if you put the domain first then your username it solved the problem.  so domain\username and then your password as normal.

Hope this helps

Andrew

P

PSmith0006

Im having the same issue. It was working fine untill i went trying to fix a cert issue for autodiscover. We do not get the cert warning anylonger but users on 2007 are being aked for user name and password. They can cancel and everthing appears to work fine.

R

Rich Staples

I went so far as to format and install Vista / Outlook 2007 fresh.  I used the manual profile setup and during the first synchronization it started again.  Using Exchange 2007/Outlook 2007.

Notes:

I am using exchange active sync on my mobile phone (direct push).

Roaming user profile with GPO folder redirection including AppData.

The following event is logged on logoff:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
Date:          1/14/2008 4:21:13 PM
Event ID:      1530
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      MCAD01.btcorp.com
Description:
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

I do not know if any of these are the cause or contributor.

-Rich E. Staples

P

PSmith0006

I found on mine at least that a SSL cert was required. Godaddy has one that i had to get reissued 3 time to work but was only $59 called a UCC cert it alled multi domain names on the cert so autodiscover.domain.com, mail.domain.com .ect installed using the powershell and it resolved my issue.

T

TonyParker

I have a feeling that buying a 3rd party Cert will also resolve my issue, so I agree.  However, what if you were iona development/pilot environment doing proof of concept?  what if you were in a secure network where no public access was allowed?  why would you want to buy an SSL Cert for these scenarios?  I hope Microsoft is not requiring a public cert for all deployments.

Thanks  to all for you're replies, the last resort is buying a cert, but this issue still plagues me.

A

Alwyn Stroh

Except for the computer name and date given by Rich Stapels his posting applies equally to me.

Alwyn Stroh

R

Rich Staples

A long overdue update.....drumroll please......DNS.

Our internal DNS /DHCP client registration updates had some bad records.  Once I resolved them the Outlook client logon problems dissapeared.

My foot is not tasty.

-RichRich E. Staples

M

muhammad29

I got kind of a same issue, except that if i give user domain admins rights it works with no issues, as soon as i take off the administrator rights it starts asking for credentials.

A

--absentia--

Rich,

Can you be a little more specific as to what kinds of internal DNS/DHCP update problems you were having? This problem has been a thorn in our side for some time now and I sure would like to put it behind us.

S

Sachin Shetty MCT, MCITP

Hello,

1. Make Sure Outlook is close
2. Then go to start/settings/Control Panel
3. Double Click on Mail/Then E-mail accounts
4. On the email tab highlight your username(Exp. example@abc.com) and hit Change
5. Then Click on More Settings/Connection/Exchange Proxy Settings
6. Then unclick the “Only connect to proxy servers that have this principal name in their certificate” the sstd:webmail.covad.com box will go grey.

7. Then hit OK/Then Apply/Then OK/Then Cancel/Then Close/Then Close
8. Open Outlook and Put in Domain\(Your username) and password.

Hope below Microsoft Support link also help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956531

Have a good year, | MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please mark it as Answered and Vote as helpful. If you feel your question was truly answered, Thank you in advance.

S

Sachin Shetty MCT, MCITP

Hello,

4. On the email tab highlight your username(Exp. example@abc.com) and hit Change
6. Then unclick the “Only connect to proxy servers that have this principal name in their certificate” the sstd:webmail.covad.com box will go grey.

Have a good year, | MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please mark it as Answered and Vote as helpful. If you feel your question was truly answered, Thank you in advance.

S

Sachin Shetty MCT, MCITP

Rich ,

Please try the below steps.

S

Sachin Shetty MCT, MCITP

Muhammas,

Please try the below steps.

C

cont123

Hi Tony, the outlook client may be connecting to Outlook Anywhere and the Defaul Authentication for OA on CAS is Basic. This info is pushed to the Client using Autodiscover service. Check your Outlook Client settings. you could either disable OA on the client or setup the proper Authentication method on the CAS. Both Authentication methos must match on Client and CAS. Hope this help. thanks.

M

MaliStane

I agree with cont123

You can download Outlook 2010. it has great feature , called Test E-mail auto configuration. It will show up, or not all url, that are needed and you will miss those, that are not configured.

If you have local CA. Create cert. request for that CA. You can install Root CA to client and smartphone. They will not show error for trusted CA. Then from CAS server request Certificate.

You can test solution, and be shure, that your official cert. request will incorporate all SAN names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Outlook 2007 To-Do-List status keeps running Using Outlook 2
J Secondary Outlook 2007 Mailbox keeps disappearing from Users Outlook Folder List dispite her being d Using Outlook 2
C Outlook XP keeps dropping connection to Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 3
J Cert warning for outlook 2010 keeps popping up in Exchange 2007 environment Using Outlook 1
B outlook 2007 password prompt keeps popping up Using Outlook 1
E My Outlook 2007 keeps crashing (actually refuses to open completely) and giving me this error messag Using Outlook 3
I Outlook 2007 keeps shutting down Using Outlook 3
H Outlook 2007 keeps prompting for login credentials Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2007 new installation keeps downloading duplicates of mail messages already downloaded. Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2007 Keeps Closing Using Outlook 1
R Not able to configure Outlook 2007 back to Yahoo after microsoft update crased the computer.__After restart lost email service.__Email keeps asking fo Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2007 Favourites folder keeps disappearing Using Outlook 2
T sending multpule large emails __i have micrsoft office outlook 2007 and a new computor, when sending emails larger than 2 MB outlook just keeps on re Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 2007 keeps going into offline mode. Using Outlook 6
S Enter Network Password Box keeps popping up in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 3
F My Vista outlook 2007 keeps restarting about every 5 minutes!!! Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2007 keeps downloading the same emails over and over. Using Outlook 1
C outlook 2007 keeps hanging on not responding Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007 keeps closing and restarting....help Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2007 keeps prompting users for password Exchange Server Administration 3
J Outlook 2007 keeps prompting for password after update, please help! Using Outlook 11
E outlook 2007 startup wizard keeps opening Using Outlook 2
E Outlook 2007 (OWA) Keeps asking for Password!!! Using Outlook 6
S Verwendung von Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
A Arthur needs help with 2007 Outlook e-mail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 3
S outlook 2007 calendar search Using Outlook 6
B Migrate Outlook 2007 to Office 365 Using Outlook 3
X I have met my waterloo trying to resolve embedded graphics problem with outlook 2007 and now 2016 Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 only loads some appointments Using Outlook 0
C Move Outlook 2007 to new PC with Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2007 Hide Messages Option not Available Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 0
B Server errors Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
S Reboot of frozen windows7 results in changed outlook 2007 settings Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007 printing wrong email address at top of page Using Outlook 8
M Configure outlook 2007 to accept digital signatures Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2007 crashes when opening an email Using Outlook 2
R New chap saying hello and needing advice on Outlook 2007 thumbnails Using Outlook 3
icacream From Outlook 2007 to 2016 ! Using Outlook 9
vodkasoda Object could not be found Error in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Outlook 2007: Address Cards allow entering text! Why? Using Outlook 3
S View Appointment in Text Wrap in Outlook 2007 Month Calendar View Using Outlook 0
L Outlook 2007 Separate the Send/Receive functions Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2007 Contacts Glitch: Creating a new email Using Outlook 1
C Move from Outlook 2007 Enterprise (MOE) to Outlook Pro plus 2007 Using Outlook 1
J reinstalling Outlook 2007 asking for user name & password Using Outlook 14
P outlook addin unloaded in office 2007 Using Outlook 0
B Fonts in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4