Outlook 2007 Clients Prompt For Password When Opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamesV

I am running Exchange 2007 Standard. New outlook 07 clients prompt for password each time it is opened. Older clients do not prompt for password. Is there any way for outlook 07 to not prompt for password? Users already logged into domain, should their credentials not be recognized automatically like with outlook 03?

R

redsoxvandal

Try looking at the account properties - it sounds like you have basic authentication selected in the account when you really want to have NTLM.

J

JamesV

Under Outlook properties I have checked to be sure that it is using NTLM, however this has no effect on the prompting. This is very annoying and after days of searching blogs, I still have no solution.

R

redsoxvandal

Are you on a LAN or using Outlook Anywhere?

Within Outlook 2k7 do you have the option checked on the Security tab for always prompt for user credentials?

J

JamesV

Found it, the problem was under IIS on the Exchange server. Under Autodiscover properties> Directory Security> Authentication Methods> I checked " Integrated Windows Authentication" . This solved the problem.

B

balletit

Can you expand on where in IIS this is?

I have Outlook 2003 clients starting to promt for authentication.

J

JamesV

Open IIS on your Exchange server. Expand " your computer name" then expand " Web Sites" then expand " Default Web Site. From here you should see the " Autodiscover" . Right click on " Autodiscover" and select " Properties" , from here select the " Directory Security Tab" and then click the " Authentication and access control Edit button" . A popup page for " Authentication Methods" will be visible. be sure to select the " Integrated Windows authentication" check box.

B

balletit

I don't have an Autodiscover.

I'm running Exchange 2003.

I have:

Exadmin

Exchange

ExchWeb

OMA

P

PW Webb

Hi

I have this problem as well we have E2K7 on Server 2008 I have followed this article to try and resolve the certificate problem but am now geeting password prompts on Outlook 2007 only

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940726

Intergrated windows authentication is enabled for the autodiscover site on IIS

Thanks in advance

PW

M

Muff_Diver

JamesV wrote:

Open IIS on your Exchange server. Expand " your computer name" then expand " Web Sites" then expand " Default Web Site. From here you should see the " Autodiscover" . Right click on " Autodiscover" and select " Properties" , from here select the " Directory Security Tab" and then click the " Authentication and access control Edit button" . A popup page for " Authentication Methods" will be visible. be sure to select the " Integrated Windows authentication" check box.

HUH?

A simpler path would be:

On your Exchange server,

Start > Administrative Tools (or All Programs > Administrative Tools) > IIS > Expand server name > Expand " Web Sites" > Right-Click " Default Web Site" > Choose Properties > Click " Directory Security" tab > Click " Edit" button under " Authentication and Access Control" > Ensure " Integrated Windows authentication" is checkmarked.

C

civanescu

Hi,

I've tried all the stuff you presented here.

My configuration is:

Outlook 2007, Exchange 2007, Windows Server 2008 (all standard).

Actually the outlook is working, but all the time is asking for password and present " Need password" in the down right part of the window.

Thank you in advance

J

JamesV

Thanks for the post. All in all it takes you to the same place. btw, classic display name. Muff_Diver

R

rioka

hello

we have all the suggested fixes enabled on the exchange server and the correct setting on the client machines as suggested.

however we still get the same password prompts which we can cancel, mail works ok but get the message " Need Password" in bottom right status bar of Outlook 2007.

my os is vista ultimate if that matters.

thanks

rioka

G

gareth2799

Same problem here, have fixed all the IIS settings and clients configured to use NTLM, still getting prompted both when on local lan using direct connection and outlook anywhere clients using RPC over HTTPS...

B

beno.com

Hi Rioka...

We have the Same issue here... Did you ever Solve your problem?

Thanks

Ben

J

JJClements

Hi guys - I just had this issue. I remembered that when I was looking at configuring RPC-HTTPS for Outlook clients I had to set a regkey to force authentication to use NTLMv2 only:
http://www.jjclements.co.uk/index.p...cript-to-enable-outlook-anywhere-or-rpc-https
The following article describes the issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820281
On my clients I have just (very quickly) tested changing the following regkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\
Value= lmcompatibilitylevel (REG_DWORD) from 0 to 3
Like I said I have only just very quickly tested this on one client which was running Windows XP but it seems to have resolved the issue for me.
James

H

hghghghghg

This problems happens after a Windows Update where the update seems to cahnge the settings on Autodiscover virtual directory. Microsoft should be looking at this issue as it happened to us right after Windows Updates were completed and upon Server restart the users are prompted with Username and Password and even if they enter it is not accepted.

C

CD Shriver

We've been experiencing simmilar issues, but sporadically and without any real patterns. Users get prompted for a logon prompt, but the prompt points them at the Exchange server. Consequently, they put their domain credentials in and are rejected. They end up needing to enter it in a " DOMAIN\USERNAME" style before it will work.

I'm trying the above fixes to see if this has any affect, but it's difficult to determine since I have to look for an ABSENCE of problems. No idea how to replicate the issue manually.

G

grabber_blue

I don't have an Autodiscover.
I'm running Exchange 2003.
I have:
Exadmin
Exchange
ExchWeb
OMA
Same here. I made the same change but in RPC properties and it worked.

IIS Manager, Web Sites, Default Web Site, RPC properties> Directory Security> Authentication Methods> and check " Integrated Windows Authentication"

M

Martin Vyroubal

Greetings,

I have the same problem. I put Integrated Windows Auth. to Autodiscover,EWS,OAB and RPC, but Outlook is still asking for password again and again. If i set up Outlook 2010 then start it, it askes for password, I put it there and tadaa, its working. But Outlook 2003 and 2007 are asking for password till the end of the world.

Any idea what should be wrong?

Thanks,
M. Vyroubal

M.Vyroubal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
X Exchange 2007 Outlook Anywhere Clients unable to retrieve GAL Using Outlook 9
N Outlook 2007 Clients Pointed to Wrong Domain Name for Autodiscover Using Outlook 2
A cannot connect outlook 2007 clients to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
N Outlook 2010 Clients can't reply to emails or download offline address book? Hosted Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 5
R how to configure outlook 2007 clients to publish free busy info to public folder in exchange 2010 (s Exchange Server Administration 3
M exchange 2007 and xp clients using outlook in nt4 domain Using Outlook 1
M Does a shared Outlook BCM 2007 database work with both Outlook BCM 2007 and 2010 clients? Using Outlook 2
B Some Outlook clients not opening (2003/2007/2010) but no apparent issue with mailboxes Using Outlook 4
S Verwendung von Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
A Arthur needs help with 2007 Outlook e-mail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
S outlook 2007 calendar search Using Outlook 6
B Migrate Outlook 2007 to Office 365 Using Outlook 3
X I have met my waterloo trying to resolve embedded graphics problem with outlook 2007 and now 2016 Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 only loads some appointments Using Outlook 0
C Move Outlook 2007 to new PC with Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2007 Hide Messages Option not Available Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 0
B Server errors Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
S Reboot of frozen windows7 results in changed outlook 2007 settings Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007 printing wrong email address at top of page Using Outlook 8
M Configure outlook 2007 to accept digital signatures Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2007 crashes when opening an email Using Outlook 2
R New chap saying hello and needing advice on Outlook 2007 thumbnails Using Outlook 3
icacream From Outlook 2007 to 2016 ! Using Outlook 9
vodkasoda Object could not be found Error in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Outlook 2007: Address Cards allow entering text! Why? Using Outlook 3
S View Appointment in Text Wrap in Outlook 2007 Month Calendar View Using Outlook 0
L Outlook 2007 Separate the Send/Receive functions Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2007 Contacts Glitch: Creating a new email Using Outlook 1
C Move from Outlook 2007 Enterprise (MOE) to Outlook Pro plus 2007 Using Outlook 1
J reinstalling Outlook 2007 asking for user name & password Using Outlook 14
P outlook addin unloaded in office 2007 Using Outlook 0
B Fonts in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
R Add Exchange Account to existing POP3 Outlook 2007 Profile Using Outlook 0
C out of space in file group Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
A Moving archived contents in Outlook 2007 back into working folders Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2007 Email Categorization using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Unable to Configure Gmail Account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 or 2010 - Lock Down Functionality Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Outlook 2007, windows 10 Font size Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Manually create a POP3 account in Outlook 2007 New Slipstick.com Articles 0
J Can Click to Drag Custom Form Field But Cannot Drop When Designing in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L Outlook 2007 Font Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2007 connector and Windows 10 Using Outlook 3
R Outlook 2007 - Shared Accounts and Resources without Exchange Server Using Outlook 0
L Outlook 2007 - Macro Re Search Using Outlook 16
D Outlook (Office) 2007 & Windows 10 Pro Using Outlook 6
MattC Problem with Outlook 2007 & iCloud / duplicate tasks Using Outlook 1