Outlook 2007 hangs when Calendar tab is clicked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Johanvo!

I had a similar issue with the calendar hang arising from a task. I think the issue was that I had assigned it two categories. Once I removed that task everything was back to working fine.

I have the same issue - thought that I could remove the shared calendars but I don't see that option upon right click....am I missing the ability to remove the calendars that I viewed? The hang time seems directly related to how much content needs to be updated in the shared calendar.

Yes, but how can you get in the calendar screen if Outlook hangs when you click on the calendar?

I found the following solution: I started the Outlook with the command line switch /cleanprofile (see this article) and the problem disappeared. Try and other " clean*" switches if this particular does not work with you.

When I managed to switch to the calendar view, I disabled the task list in the bottom of the screen. If this does not work keep reading tricks that other users applied and you may find a solution.

Thank you all guys for posting your experience here.

Great Post.,

Thanks for the tip. I have the same problem with the Calendar hanging my Outlook 2007 when I clicked on the Calendar Tab. I removed teh task view and the problem has been resolved, Is this a bug? or is there a patch to fix this?

Thanks

Dear Johanvo

A Big Thank You for sharing your finding on this forum. it was a great help. I have to thank other follows who completed it with additional tips on how to get rid of tasks list in calendar view.

Thanks to you guys I can use my calendar again.

All the Best

Hi all,

After studying numerous posts on numerous forums on the web regarding this ridiculous bug (where is your patch, finally, Microsoft?????) I found out that none of the solutions worked for me. But I think I did find an experimental workaround myself: I de-activated the CALENDAR tab and now access my calender through the todo-pane that is visible in my email/contact/note views. So the same todo/task panes that others recommend to close, is MY stepping stone.

This is how I did it:

- I started OUTLOOK.EXE through the RUN command, with flags /cleanprofile /cleanviews /resettodobar (as mentioned in earlier posts - thanks!) to have a clean version

- Through the Tools > Options > Other > To-Do-Bar I activated the todo-bar, with two rows of two calendar months (I have enough space on a wide screen laptop) - and including tasks, no problem.

- In the menu on the bottom left of Outlook I used the option 'show fewer buttons' to de-activate the CALENDAR button - that tab seems to be the object that triggers the trouble, in my case at least. If it's not there you cannot (ab)use it.

- I restarted Outlook and could work normally.

- When in email/contact/note view i can access any calendar date through the todo-bar - and switch back - without anyproblem (so far!)

What NOT works:

- In Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options I selected: startup in this folder: CALENDAR. I should NOT have done that: my mouse could not even access the Outlook window, bumped against the Outlook borders. Nor could I click any command. Don't ask me how I got rid of this frustrating loop - but finally I managed to select MAIL again as my startup folder. (By the way: this simple startup preference should not be hidden far in the 'advanced, other options' - but in a first 'general' tab! Microsoft: change it!)

I am curious if (being a simple computer user, not a whizz-senior, this workaround works for others as well as it does for me. Mail me at wimyogya@gmail.com with your comment - I dont access these forums, usually.

But first of all I wait for the day Microsoft comes with a real solution for this apparently essential bug in their software. Hurry up, please!

WimYogya

Dutch senior in Indonesia

Hi Guys,

In a previous post I thanked Marcus for his tips. They did the job in Outlook 2007 running on Vista 64-bit.

I have now installed Office 2007 on Windows 7 beta 64-bit and the Outlook Calendar freeze problem is back.

Unfortunately this time using the switches etc just has not worked.

I don't think it is a Windows 7 bug. Everything else works really well in 7.
The various forums indicate that Microsoft have simply never really fixed the Outlook calendar crash problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

If I could only get to the Calendar tab to check the settings again I would. But Outlook is hanging CONSTANTLY. I haven't been able to exit the application normally in more than 10 days - it's always via Task Manager after an application hang. This happened all the sudden - literally - in the last 10 days. I haven't changed anything but I do have automatic updates - wondering if there's something in one of the latest that is causing this? here's the text I pulled from the details:

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE
Application Version: 12.0.6316.5000
Application Timestamp: 4833a470
Hang Signature: 0680
Hang Type: 256
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: d4a9d0b4e5c6a78b31589fcbcee620a5
Additional Hang Signature 2: 83d2
Additional Hang Signature 3: af237882230aeb2570e86a808e510865
Additional Hang Signature 4: 0680
Additional Hang Signature 5: d4a9d0b4e5c6a78b31589fcbcee620a5
Additional Hang Signature 6: 83d2
Additional Hang Signature 7: af237882230aeb2570e86a808e510865

thank you! this is the kind of information i'm looking for - something that really fixes the problem. it's weird we'd have to pay to get the answer when it seems to have started after one of their updates. i searched everywhere online and within microsoft support to get answers but no luck until this forum.

I was also having this issue on a system with Outlook 2007 attached to an Exchange 2003 server in a ad, domain setting.

I tried all the switches suggested plus unloading all com objects.

As a workaround I setup the person with a shortcut using the /safe:4 switch. This was until I figured out the issue.

I finally figured out it was that the account was pointing to a shared calendar for an account that was no longer in active directory. I deleted that old reference. Viola! It works fine now.

I know this will probably only be an issue for folks in a domain setting but hopefully it will save some aggravation.

" Normal people ... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
- Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle

@bearwa

How did you remove that old reference? I am having the exact same problem, I can access my calendar without anything that freezes, but I cannot remove the old calendar that refers to a user in the old domain, right clicking it makes outlook freeze for 2-4 minutes before it's back. Though the right click command hasn't been performed, thus I cannot remove the calendar.

Any ideas?

If I could only get to the Calendar tab to check the settings again I would. But Outlook is hanging CONSTANTLY. I haven't been able to exit the application normally in more than 10 days - it's always via Task Manager after an application hang. This happened all the sudden - literally - in the last 10 days. I haven't changed anything but I do have automatic updates - wondering if there's something in one of the latest that is causing this? here's the text I pulled from the details:

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE
Application Version: 12.0.6316.5000
Application Timestamp: 4833a470
Hang Signature: 0680
Hang Type: 256
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: d4a9d0b4e5c6a78b31589fcbcee620a5
Additional Hang Signature 2: 83d2
Additional Hang Signature 3: af237882230aeb2570e86a808e510865
Additional Hang Signature 4: 0680
Additional Hang Signature 5: d4a9d0b4e5c6a78b31589fcbcee620a5
Additional Hang Signature 6: 83d2
Additional Hang Signature 7: af237882230aeb2570e86a808e510865
I'm also having this same problem after trying everything in this thread! Am also using Windows 7 RC 64-Bit and Office 2007 SP1. Problem only started happening about 5 days ago, and it is driving me insane! I've done everything suggested and the problem remains - even after reinstalling the OS!
Please fix your broken software, Microsoft. I'm seriously considering moving to Thunderbird or something - anything - that works.

Thanks Johanvo. You are a champion. I have been having outlook freeze issues for months now. Since, I do not use calendar on my personal computer - it was ok initially. But now I frequently use calendar and it was frustrating that either outlook or vista would crash every few minutes. Finally, googled and landed on your past. Thank you so much. Finally, I can atleast access Calendar.
Thanks to Tim as well for explaining how to access the pane.

Hey guys,
I have the same problem. Just I am trying to remove the task pane at the bottom, but as soon as I click Calendar all of Outlook freezes up. How do I solve this?

Hi Zac,
Below I repeat the workaround I mentioned already in this forum in January. Since I followed the procedure below, Outlook works fine for me. No more trouble.
But it's strange that Windows doesnt repair the bug at all. No action so far.
This is how I did it:
Hi all,
After studying numerous posts on numerous forums on the web regarding this ridiculous bug (where is your patch, finally, Microsoft?????) I found out that none of the solutions worked for me. But I think I did find an experimental workaround myself: I de-activated the CALENDAR tab and now access my calender through the todo-pane that is visible in my email/contact/note views. So the same todo/task panes that others recommend to close, is MY stepping stone.
This is how I did it:
- I started OUTLOOK.EXE through the RUN command, with flags /cleanprofile /cleanviews /resettodobar (as mentioned in earlier posts - thanks!) to have a clean version
- Through the Tools > Options > Other > To-Do-Bar I activated the todo-bar, with two rows of two calendar months (I have enough space on a wide screen laptop) - and including tasks, no problem.
- In the menu on the bottom left of Outlook I used the option 'show fewer buttons' to de-activate the CALENDAR button - that tab seems to be the object that triggers the trouble, in my case at least. If it's not there you cannot (ab)use it.
- I restarted Outlook and could work normally.
- When in email/contact/note view i can access any calendar date through the todo-bar - and switch back - without anyproblem (so far!)
What NOT works:
- In Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options I selected: startup in this folder: CALENDAR. I should NOT have done that: my mouse could not even access the Outlook window, bumped against the Outlook borders. Nor could I click any command. Don't ask me how I got rid of this frustrating loop - but finally I managed to select MAIL again as my startup folder. (By the way: this simple startup preference should not be hidden far in the 'advanced, other options' - but in a first 'general' tab! Microsoft: change it!)
I am curious if (being a simple computer user, not a whizz-senior, this workaround works for others as well as it does for me. Mail me at wimyogya@gmail.com with your comment - I dont access these forums, usually.
But first of all I wait for the day Microsoft comes with a real solution for this apparently essential bug in their software. Hurry up, please!
WimYogya
Dutch senior in Indonesia

Hi, all.

I also had the same problem.

Computer configuration: Dell Inspiron Mini 10 v with 1 GB RAM and HD 160 GB, Windows XP Prof SP 3, Outlook 2007 SP 2.

I was using outlook connected to an exchange server 2007, accessing also to my personal outlook information located in a different local session (I'm a consultant with " different worlds" at same time, so it is important for me to see all my calendars, tasks and appointments in the same screen).

I started the local outlook recreating outlook.pst file from scratch, and I imported things one to one into this local file. It worked fine until I reloaded the local address book. Then, I saw that in the local outlook task list I had an address (from the address book); I deleted this item from the task list (and the only way is deleting it also from address book), and now it works.

I wish to thank the other contributors, because thanks to the trick of opening the calendar clicking to yesterday's date I was able to locate what was wrong.

Nevertheless, I beg Microsoft to test that and to patch it, it is obvious that the software did not treat that issue properly.

Hey All,
I had a similar crashing problem with my Outlook Calendar (2007 SP2 on Vista Pro x64). In my case it was only with the week view in the calendar. It turned out that an assigned task was the culprit. Removing the assigned task (who wants them anyway) fixed the problem. I removed the assigned task through the Tasks view. Also, I could temporarily get access to the calendar by running the /clearviews switch, but the problem would reappear as soon as I switched the calendar to the week view with the assigned task. Quite annoying.

Thanks to everyone for posting their solutions.

Cheers,

Craig.

I am using Windows Vista on a Sony Notebook with Outlook 2007 SP1 connected to exchange server 2003. I had a problem that my outlook worked fine except for one thing: it hanged whenever I clicked on the calendar tab. I then had to restart my outlook, there was no other way out of the problem.

Investigating the problem it occurred that when I clicked on individual dates on the calendar displayed on the front screen, the calendar did display EXCEPT when TODAY was selected. Any other date worked fine except the current date. This was true for any date, in such a manner that today would freeze up, but on the next day the same date (which was then yesterday) did not hang anymore.

After a long while I accidentally found the solution to this problem. You will notice when the calendar is displayed in the default calendar view (month/week/day with preview), at the bottom of the screen there is also a part where today's tasks are displayed. I edited the view and removed the display of tasks in the calendar screen, and suddenly the calendar did not hang anymore. It appeared that some item amongst the tasks caused the crash, but when the tasks are displayed in the task tab, Outlook does not hang.

So, if your Outlook 2007 hangs whenever you click on the calendar tab, edit your calendar view and disable the display of the task/todo list in the calendar view. This might solve your problem like it did for me.

Try outlook.exe /resettodobar in the run command

Type in:

outlook.exe /resettodobar

using the run command option

Have a nice day.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.