Out Of Office and Free/Busy no longer work

• Thread starter Mark DeDionisio
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark DeDionisio

So, I have been troubleshooting this for a while now. I suspect that it may have stopped working after following instructions in technote to resolve the persistent certificate error that users were getting after installing Outlook 2007. Trying to run the Out Of Office assistant produces the error "Your Out of Office settings cannot be displayed, because the server is currently unavailable." I've seen so many references to this error, but no solution. I tried applying the Hotfix from MS (KB953595) but it didn't help. Here's what I suspect is wrong: The installed certificate is for companyname.com but the local domain name is companyname.NET. When I try to run the autodiscover test from Outlook it seems to be looking for https://mail.companyname.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml but should be going to .NET. OK, fine. I saw a solution which said to run a cmdlet to change the internal url for the autodiscover vdir. That seems to make sense, but every time I run the cmdlet I get an error as follows:

[PS] C:\Documents and Settings\administrator>Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity servername\EWS(default web site)-internalUrl https://servername/domainname.net/EWS/exchange.asmx

The term 'default' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term and try again.

At line:1 char:63

+ Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity servername\EWS(default <<<< web site)-internalUrl https://servername.domainname.net/EWS/exchange.asmx

Where should I go from here?

Thanks

Mark

J

James-Luo

The cmdlet is wrong, please use the cmdlet below:

Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity "Servername\EWS (default web site)" -internalUrl https://FQDNofServer/EWS/exchange.asmx

Check info:

1.      Please describe the exchange topology

2.      So, the issue is for internal users and all internal users, right?

3.      What's the current value of "internalUrl"? Please use the cmdlet below to check

Get-webservicesvirtualdirectory | Fl

4.      Please run the cmdlet below to check if there's error

Test-OutlookWebServices "identity AliasOfProblematicUser

Troubleshooting:

1.      Please try to use OOF via OWA, if there's no issue, we know that issue isn't caused by OOF itself, maybe related on the web service

2.      We can check the authentication of EWS via IIS, verify if "Integrated Windows Authentication" has been checked

3.      Please check if "Enable HTTP Keep-Alives" is checked properly in the IIS [6.0 | 7.0]

4.      Please check the OOF log on the outlook client

a.      Outlook->"Tools" menu->click "Options"->click "Other" tab->click "Advanced Options"

b.      Select Enable logging (troubleshooting), and then click OK

c.       Restart outlook, and try to reproduce the issue, check if any error info exists in the OOF log (like 20081211-121438177-oof.log)

Log location: Start->Run->%temp%->"Olkas" folder

R

Rhys Watson

I know this is really old but I'm posting here as I've had this problem and all the stuff I found on the web didn't fix it for me but I got there in the end.

My SCP path was correct, all URL's were correct, DNS correct blah blah blah.

Anyway I had the same errors when running the autoconfiguration test on Outlook as most posts on the web and my users couldn't set OOF on Outlook 2007 but could on Outlook 2003 and OWA. That pointed to an autodiscover problem.

My Authentication settings were fine but what I found was when trying to connect to the autodiscover.xml file (https://whateverURL/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml) I was prompted for authentication.

My authentication was set correctly so I check the SSL settings in IIS for the autodiscover virtual directory. SSL was on as it should be but the client certificate settings was set to Accept. Changed this to ignore and suddenly OOF worked and the test email autoconfiguartion in Outlook worked too.

Hope this helps someone.

G

Gerryvs

Hi Folks,

Rhys's post helped me searching in the right direction, we experienced similar problems on one of our CAS servers and it turned out that the access to the autodiscover.xml, struggled a bit with the IP Accesslist on the several subsites and finally was able to open the url in explorer. Tested OOO and all worked fine.

So opening the autodiscover url certainly helps out troubleshooting this and some other issues !

Best Regards,

Gerry Van Steerteghem

Van Steerteghem Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.