Change Server Side Rules to Client Side

• Thread starter rvdsabu4life
  • Start date Views 929
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rvdsabu4life

I have found answers to the opposite of my question, but not what I am looking for. 

I need to move message rules created in Outlook  2007 and stored on an Exchange 2007 server, to be CLIENT ONLY.  I need to move them off the server and back to client only.  The person has over 1000 rules, so doing it one by one will be difficult.

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

There is no concept of moving rules from the server to the client. Rules are server or client based depending on what the rule does. Outlook/Exchange decides if the rule is server or client-based.
An old link, but still valid:
http://www.slipstick.com/rules/serverbased.htm

More about managing rules:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP010524761033.aspx

Are you getting warnings that the user has exceeded the total number of rules allowed? If so, you can raise the rule limit in Exchange 2007 with the set-mailbox command using the RulesQuota switch:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123981.aspx

The RulesQuota parameter specifies the limit for the size of rules for this mailbox. When you enter a value, qualify the value with one of the following:

B (bytes) KB (kilobytes) MB (megabytes) GB (gigabytes) TB (terabytes)

Unqualified values are treated as bytes.

The default value for this parameter is 64 KB. The maximum value for this parameter is 256 KB.

The quota for mailbox rules applies only to enabled rules. There is no restriction on the number of disabled rules a mailbox can have. However, the total size of rules that are enabled, or active, cannot exceed the value specified for this parameter.

R

rvdsabu4life

Are you getting warnings that the user has exceeded the total number of rules allowed? If so, you can raise the rule limit in Exchange 2007 with the set-mailbox command using the RulesQuota switch:
YEp he is getting message even AFTER i raised to the max limit

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

In that case, you will have to follow the advice from this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886616
"Some rules are disabled, and you receive an error message when you try to enable them after you upgrade to Outlook 2007 or to Outlook 2003"

R

rvdsabu4life

Clear the on this machine only check box. If you use a rule to move e-mail messages to a .pst file, click to clear the on this machine only check box unless you are accessing your Exchange Server e-mail from different client computers. To do this in Outlook, follow these steps

^^^I would like to do the opposite of that.  And no, nothing else suggested int he article is really practical for this case

R

rvdsabu4life

What would be ok is if I could create somewhat of a wildcard rule.  THe way he has his rules set up now is "When they come from NAME, put them in NAME folder."

IF I could do maybe ""When they come from NAME, put them in %NAME% folder"  maybe this would reduce the size of the rules.

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

With over 1000 rules, it may require a lot of pruning! Im not sure why someone would need a 1000 rules however. Do they really need all those?

R

rvdsabu4life

Its the president of our company so I guess?  He went over the initial rule limit a few months ago and thats when I maxed out the size.  Now he is getting the error that he is over the limit again. 

If I could move them back to "client only," that would be great

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Well, the thing is, whether they are client or server based, it counts against that quota. Client-Side simply means that Outlook has to be open in order for the rule to run.

R

rvdsabu4life

Well, the thing is, whether they are client or server based, it counts against that quota. Client-Side simply means that Outlook has to be open in order for the rule to run.

Oh I read in another forum that if they are Client, they do not count against the quote.

LEt me ask this.  Is he was never connected to an Exchange server, would he still be exceeding the limit?  Does Outlook 2007itself have a limit?

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

As far as I know, no. The rules in an Internet only account are stored in the local pst and not the Exchange mailbox.
Back to that first part. Rules are stored in 2 places, your mailbox and profile. So, while the rule may be client-based, it wont work if you are offline and as far as I know, still count against your rules quota in exchange. Hope that makes sense.

R

rvdsabu4life

As far as I know, no. The rules in an Internet only account are stored in the local pst and not the Exchange mailbox.
Back to that first part. Rules are stored in 2 places, your mailbox and profile. So, while the rule may be client-based, it wont work if you are offline and as far as I know, still count against your rules quota in exchange. Hope that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense, I was just initially mislead. 

Any suggestions, then, on what to do in this situation?

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

I dont think you have any other choice but to remove rules or simplify them until its below the quota. I have never seen anyone with 1000 rules. Im surprised it allowed that many.

R

rvdsabu4life

I dont think you have any other choice but to remove rules or simplify them until its below the quota. I have never seen anyone with 1000 rules. Im surprised it allowed that many. Well if I think of anything else, Ill post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.