Outlook 2003 additional mailbox won't hide folders

• Thread starter Kris_Karl
  • Start date Views 765
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kris_Karl

I have a person, let's call her Jane, who wants to see another person's mailbox, let's call him John. Jane has access to John's mailbox and Jane can see all of the folders that John has by defualt (Drafts, Deleted Items, Junk email, ECT) We need to keep all those folders for John, but Jane only needs to see the inbox and Calendar for John.

I've tried setting the permissions so that all of the folders except the inbox and calendar are NOT visible, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

We are using outlook 2003 on an Exchange Server 2003 setup.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

You've given Jane permissions at the root of John's mailbox. Those permissions are trickling down to the subfolders. Remove those and give her ONLY rights to the Inbox and Calendar.

Other possibility: You've given Jane admin priviledges on your Exchange server. Quick test - can Jane see folders for ANYBODY on the server or just John?

K

Kris_Karl

I have not tried to delegate control to Jane just yet. Correct me if I'm wrong but won't that send all of the mail that John receives into Jane's inbox (you can tell I've never used it before)?

The permission are coming done, but I have removed them from the subfolders. I've even unchcked the box that makes the folder visible and yet they still show up.

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Delegation wont affect the messages, it simply for permissioning.
How did you originally apply the permissions? Did you give full mailbox access?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Is Jane configured as an administrator on the Exchange server?

K

Kris_Karl

Yes, Jane has full mailbox permissions. She can do anything that John can. In Active directory I gave Jane full permissions to John mailbox. I also gave the permissions to John's mailbox from his outlook so I could attempt to customize the view while I was there and only share what I wanted Jane to see.

Jane is not an admin on the exchange server. We reserve that access to admins only which is only like 5-6 people throughout my entire company.

This might also help. Even with myself being a domain admin and an exchange admin, I can see all of John's folders, but I cannot get his calendar to be listed so matter who I give permissions to view it.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Jane shouldn't have full mailbox permissions - that's the problem. Remove full mailbox permissions from her and just give her specific permissions to Inbox and Calendar. NOT at the root of the mailbox.

K

Kris_Karl

Thanx Ben. I'm going to give that a try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Jane shouldn't have full mailbox permissions - that's the problem. Remove full mailbox permissions from her and just give her specific permissions to Inbox and Calendar. NOT at the root of the mailbox.

Yep, no reason ever usually to give someone full mailbox access.

Status
Not open for further replies.