Exchange 2007 CAS - Configure only ExternalURL for OWA

• Thread starter Animesh S
  • Start date Views 1,775
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Animesh S

I would like to know what should be the repercussions of not using InternalURL on OWA website. For a network load-balanced CAS node, is it recommended to keep the internal and external url as the same since netbios names are not included in the SAN certificate?

Also, if I'm using say mail.my-domain.com as my OWA url, what should be the AutoDiscover url. I believe that is hard-coded in Outlook 2007 clients. So if that is so, what should be the workaround. Redirect the autodiscover.mydomain.com to mail.mydomain.com using CNAME record. I hope that shouldn't bring any certificate acceptance request when opening Outlook clients.

By the way, we are not using EWS, ActiveSync or OutlookAnywhere.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.
Animesh

B

Brian Desmond -MVP-

Hi-

Unless you are proxying the internalUrl on the OWA vdir is irrelevant. Autodiscover URL should be autodiscover.my-domain.com. You need to modify the AutodiscoverInternalUri that's being published in to the SCP also to be the NLB vip. The InternalUrl/ExternalUrl values should be null in the autodiscover virtual directory settings.

If you have Outlook 2007+ clients you are using EWS.

Active Directory, 4th Edition - www.briandesmond.com/ad4/

A

Animesh S

Hi-

Unless you are proxying the internalUrl on the OWA vdir is irrelevant. Autodiscover URL should be autodiscover.my-domain.com. You need to modify the AutodiscoverInternalUri that's being published in to the SCP also to be the NLB vip. The InternalUrl/ExternalUrl values should be null in the autodiscover virtual directory settings.

If you have Outlook 2007+ clients you are using EWS.
Active Directory, 4th Edition - www.briandesmond.com/ad4/
Thanks a bunch for the answers. So what I understand now is that Outlook 2007 clients do use EWS in all its forms. So now, that is an additional website to be modified for the publishing.

I would like to know what do we mean by " The InternalUrl/ExternalUrl values should be null in the autodiscover virtual directory settings." Is it something that should be done when we replace autodiscover.my-domain.com with mail.my-domain.com .
Also, if the Outlook users are connecting using Outlook-Anywhere, they use HTTPS to access mailbox server. But what is the normal user mailbox access method, MAPI directly back to the Mailbox Servers. Or do Outlook 2007 users connect to CAS server with MAPI connections and CAS proxies them back to Mailbox Server (I guess, it is Exchange 2010 exclusive).

X

Xiu Zhang

Hi,

Internal user will try to get the autodiscover url from SCP . External Users will try to connect to autodiscover.my-domain.com .So I think we can try to redirect to my-domain.com when it try to connect to autodiscover.my-domain.com

Pleaes try to create another URL for autodiscover and then redirect Autodiscover.xml file to my-domain.com

Detail steps could be the following:
Create a new virtual server on the CAS server with a new IP Create a stub Autodiscover virtual directory and Autodiscover.xml file thru IIS Redirect the Autodiscover.xml file to my-domain.com Configure your internal SCP to point to my-domain.com Configure your Internal and External Service URLs to point to my-domain.com Make sure that your configured URLs will resolve via DNS to the expected IP address of the CAS server

Related information to share with you:

Autodiscover and Exchange 2007

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232838(EXCHG.80).aspx

Regards,

Xiu

Status
Not open for further replies.