owa external url access problem

Z

zxv

hi

i have two problems

1- i can't access owa using external URL

- im using VMWARE and i setup exchange server 2007 with standard roles and a server with domain and a client xp

- i have setup owa with internal and external url

- i can access owa using the internal url inside the my virtual network there is no problem here

- i have setup and external url with ssl certificate and with mx record for my public ip address and A record inside godaddy website

- and i setup the outlook anywhere with rpc over http

but the main problem is every time i try to access owa using the external url i get my modem certificate not the certificate that issued for the external url

i need to know could cause this problem

2- the second problem is that when i enter the internal url inside the local virtual network i get a security warning about the certificate is not the same as the name of site

i need help please thank you

E

Ed Crowley [MVP]

1. It sounds like your NAT and/or firewall is not directing your inbound web request to the correct server, or is filtering the traffic somehow.

2. This says to me that the certificate does not have a name that matches the server name in the URL you are using. I can't help you more without details about the certificate and what URLs you are using for access.
--

Ed Crowley MVP
"There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

"zxv" wrote in message news:916acbbd-e6d6-4786-a9ae-daa5e500314b...

hi

i have two problems

1- i can't access owa using external URL

- im using VMWARE and i setup exchange server 2007 with standard roles and a server with domain and a client xp

- i have setup owa with internal and external url

- i can access owa using the internal url inside the my virtual network there is no problem here

- i have setup and external url with ssl certificate and with mx record for my public ip address and A record inside godaddy website

- and i setup the outlook anywhere with rpc over http

but the main problem is every time i try to access owa using the external url i get my modem certificate not the certificate that issued for the external url

i need to know could cause this problem

2- the second problem is that when i enter the internal url inside the local virtual network i get a security warning about the certificate is not the same as the name of site

i need help please thank you

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

T

Thomas-Lin

Hi,

Is your certificate from a public Certificate Authority (CA)?

What's the exact message you are getting when trying to access OWA?

By default, exchange server is using a self-signed certificate for the services like IIS,SMTP. This certificate is not from a public CA and it cannot be trusted by other computers. So you will keep receive the warning like "The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority."

To get rid this message, you can use the following methods:

1. On exchange server side, Using a certificate from public CA.

2. On client computer, Install the private certificate to "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" store.

How to install the certificate in "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" store

=======================================================

1. Click Certificate error, then click View Certificates.

2. Click Install Certificate, click Next.

3. Select "Place all certificates in the following store", click Browse.

4. Select "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" then click Ok.

5. Restart IE.

T

Thomas-Lin

Hi

As for the warning "The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address", it is caused by the default certificate( self-signed) is only issued for your internal URL. For example, if your CAS server is installed on computer1(NetBios name) and the FQDN (fully qualified domain name )of computer 1 is 'computer1.domian.com'. By default, a self-signed certificate is issued for the URLs 'computer1.domian.com' and 'computer1'. If you use other URL to access this computer, you will get the warning above.

To resolve this problem, you need to create a new certificate for your all internal and external URLs (Use New-exchangecertificate cmdlet). But people will still receive the warning "The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority" until his s computer trusts your certificate.

More information about Certificate used in exchange 2007, please read the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb851505(EXCHG.80).aspx#WhenCAWhenSelf