What is that blue two-way arrowed icon in my outlook left pane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Derek94587

What is that blue two-way arrowed icon in my outlook left pane?

The Outlook 2007 is connected to exchange 2010 in online non-cache mode. The profile has multiple mailboxes and there is not even a folder icon with two-way blue arrow with the primary mailbox but all the large subfolders (20k items or more) of the non-primary mailboxes have this two-way arrowed icon. Search is VERY slow. It looks like large subfolders of all the non-primary mailboxes are in "cached" mode mandatorily and when doing a search, it is done by the PC locally, not by the exchange server (much faster). If that is the case, can we force these folders back to non-cached mode? My exchange 2010 is powerful enough to handle the searches.

The two-way blue arrowed icon is this:
http://community.spiceworks.com/attachments/post/0001/0805/Outlook_Icon.bmp

D

Derek94587

So... here is my observation. I am trying using online mode (non-cached) only and my profile has multiple mailboxes. My Outlook 2007 on Windows XP 32bit is connected to my Exchange 2010 with rollup 4 (running on Server 2008) and both are very updated (as of 07/14/2010). Outlook will not use server side search on user-created folders on mailboxes other than the primary mailbox. Do I have to use local search (Windows Desktop Search)? These additional mailboxes are over 10GB each and contain folder over 20k items and it would be too slow.

I used to be able to search fast. I think MS changed something with one of their office updates months ago.

Any comment would be appreciate.

J

James-Luo

Did the WDS install on the machine?

Here are some references for search process

James Luo

D

Derek94587

Did. It is a WDS 4.0 the latest (as of 7/16/2010) and I am using online mode (non-cached) and the Exchange 2010 is on the same LAN in the same domain. What is with this total screw up with the search feature of Outlook with Exchange? With online mode, my PC is not supposed do any work. The Exhchange has the indexing done and in the memory and should be ready to serve the search results! This should be NOTHING TO DO WITH WDS!

So, I remembered this problem of slow search started sometime last year. I just uninstalled my Office 2007 completely and reinstalled a new one without any service pack nor any update. IT WORKS! I added service pack 1, it still works. I proceeded to install all updates included sp2 and the search problem comes back. I had to uninstall office 2007 and reinstall a fresh new copy (as sp2 is not uninstallable) and SP1, and make sure no updates for office 2007 nor outlook is installed (via Windows Update) and now everything is working. I know SP2 gives the problem and I have yet to determine which update also gives me the problem but from now on, I just have to make sure no updates is installed automatically via Windows Update to screw me up again.

The whole troubleshooting deal wasted me 4 days researching, installing, reinstalling, trying office 2010 (same problem), etc on five PCs and 2 servers. Microsoft, you are so screwed up. I paid you for a working product. I think you should pay me back for the time you have wasted me.

D

Derek94587

Exchange 2010 has the server side search indexing enabled by default. James, your reference is for Exchange 2007. EVen with 2007 with searching indexing enabled, we should not need to use WDS even we have multiple mailboxes in the Outlook 2007 profile when we use online mode.

I have the following updates hidden and not installed and I make sure I do not allow Windows Updates to install any future updates for Outlook or Office 2007, so far my Outlook search functionality working good:

KB980376, KB982312, KB982331, KB976321, KB981715, KB951550, KB974234, KB972581, KB969613, SP2, KB969559, KB967642.

One or more of the above updates is giving me the slow search problem. For sure SP2 and KB980376 did and I decided not to waste my time trying out the rest updates. I have wasted enough time. So if you have mutliple mailboxes in your outlook 2007 profile and you want to use online mode, not cached mode, with exchange 2007 (which you need to make sure the search indexing is enable) or exchange 2010, then make sure the above updates are not installed, then you should have no problem search quickly the mailboxes other than the primary.

I am out of there. Hope MS would not waste me more time.

J

James-Luo

I know you are upset as the product cost you so much time on the troubleshooting rather than using it, I"ll do my best to help you on this case

Symptom: If Outlook is in online mode and you do an “Advanced Find” in an additional mailbox, it will take very long time before getting the results back. All the update after KB 959642 will cause such symptom, including outlook 2007 SP2

Resolution: Outlook 2007 hotfix package February 23, 2010 (KB 978401)

James Luo

D

Derek94587

No.

KB959642 would not cause the problem. I have it installed and my search still ok.
KB980376 and SP2 are the causes of the problem. When either is installed, search will be slow (couple minutes versus 2 sec). And I don't even need to do an "Advanced Find" (CTRL-SHIFT-F) to see the problem, I just use the Search box at the upper right side to see the problem. Outlook 2010 out of the box without any updates has the exact same problem. I have had this problem when my Exchange was 2007. We added a new server and moved the mailboxes to Exchange 2010 to try but fail to eliminate the problem. No installing SP2 and KB980376 solved the problem - for now.

J

James-Luo

Please perform the following test:

1. Create test mailbox A and B

2. Locate a problematic outlook client for A

3. Add B as an additional mailbox to A in the outlook

4. Launch MFCMAPI

5. “Session” menu, “Logon and Display Store Table” option, select A

6. Double-click “Mailbox - B” (Additional Mailbox)

7. In the jumped window, expand “Root Container” node->”Finder” folder

8. Switch back to problematic outlook, and reproduce the issue (Search additional mailbox), and wait for complete

9. Back to MFCMAPI, can you find a “Search Folder” folder under the “Finder” folder?

Notes: Outlook won"t use exchange search feature if “Search Folder” folder doesn"t exist

In my lab (Exchange 2007 SP2 + Outlook 2007 SP1/SP2 +Windows XP SP2)

When I run outlook 2007 SP1, “Search Folder” folder appears as expected

When I upgrade outlook 2007 SP1 to SP2, “Search Folder” folder not appears as expected (Issue reproduced)

James Luo

D

Derek94587

I am done messing with my outlook and Exchange. I am sure many more other people are having the same problem. Let them be the beta testers and report to you the finding after following your instructions.

J

James-Luo

I see. I've keep digging on this issue, 'll post back here when get further resultsJames Luo

D

Derek94587

I am now back to my old problem - when Outlook is idle (open but not used) for a while, when I do a search, the result will show "This item cannot be displayed in the Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A How To Get Body of All Emails to view in Blue Using Outlook 1
A How to get body of all emails in outlook 2016 to view in blue color Using Outlook 1
E Outlook 2016 Default Blue Color Using Outlook 3
J blue down arrow Using Outlook 1
T How to remove annoying Big Blue Type at beginning of my messages Using Outlook 2
M Automatically highlight unread mail in Favorites inbox(s) (Blue number) Using Outlook 1
H Arrows blue and purple not always visible Using Outlook 0
M Blue line on forwarded emails - omitting Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007 freezes and sometimes shuts down my computer, which produces a blue screen. OS=Vista Ho Using Outlook 1
G How can I get blue headers in Outlook 2003? Using Outlook 4
V I can't type outgoing mssg. in body. Color is blue. I can send and receive only to.. and subject: lines. I receive emails and attachments OK. Using Outlook 1
G All sent items are blue font Using Outlook 2
N Emails with unrequested blue backgrounds Using Outlook 1
S Re: COLOR CATEGORIES (RED - YELLOW - BLUE - PURPLE - ECT) Using Outlook 1
F COLOR CATEGORIES (RED - YELLOW - BLUE - PURPLE - ECT) Using Outlook 1
T BLUE CIRCLE WITH A CROSS IN OUTLOOK BOX. Using Outlook 1
J Pasting into Outlook 2003 produces blue question mark Using Outlook 2
C Message reads 'Microsoft Outlook has stopped working, in blue. In black the statement 'A problem cau Using Outlook 6
M No more blue OWA default theme (Exchange 2010) Exchange Server Administration 8
T Outlook 2016 remove envelope icon for certain folders Using Outlook 6
M New icon? Using Outlook 4
W Get a "New Note" icon onto the QAT Using Outlook 3
Commodore Attachment icon when there is no attachment Using Outlook 3
J Control Panel Mail (settings) icon missing Using Outlook 2
J Problem with Outlook 2016 new mail tray icon alert (envelope in the systems tray) Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
G Outlook 2016: reply icon not showing when replied from mobile Using Outlook 3
E What does mean this icon at the picture attached? Using Outlook 2
W "Post" icon on some contacts Using Outlook 1
P Delete Icon Using Outlook 2
witzker Change icon for custom views Using Outlook 1
D Email Icon Column Using Outlook 2
M Recurring icon for custom form task item Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
A Change Outlook Taskbar Icon Using Outlook 0
P IM and Phone icon is Grayed out in Outlook 2013 - Using Lync 2013 Using Outlook 4
wisedave Missing icon that show message was forwarded, etc Using Outlook 1
F Custom contact form icon issue Using Outlook 1
M Floating Delete Icon in mail list Using Outlook 1
V Reply Arrow Icon appears when both Replying or Forwarding Using Outlook 3
P Attachment Icon (paperclip) not showing for some emails with Attachments Outlook Wishlist 3
T Add 'Move to folder' icon to custom form Using Outlook 1
J phone icon greyed out in outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
H how to change the Folder icon in Contact Using Outlook 7
P Outlook closes down after clicking on the quick print icon. Using Outlook 3
M Remove sharing icon from outlook contacts Using Outlook 6
A No profiles created problem in outlook after clicking outlook icon Using Outlook 0
D How do I get a new mail icon into my quick launch bar? Using Outlook 3
C New mail icon on taskbar intermittent Using Outlook 1
R Delete Outlook Icon from Desktop Using Outlook 3
B Outlook - Printing - RTF Email Attachment Icon and Name Problems. Using Outlook 2
V Mail icon in control panel is missing Using Outlook 3