Outlook client on Exchange 2010 changes cas array name to instance-<guid>

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Karl Mitschke

We have an issue where random Outlook clients will lose connection to the Exchange system (directory, mailbox, or public folder is unknown).

When the IT staff go to their propertied for the exchange server, instead of our CAS Array name, they see this:
Instance-<GUID> where GUID varies.

I thought at first that the GUID might be for one of our 2 2010 CAS servers, but it"s not &ndash; or at least it"s not the GUID on the Active Directory object for our CAS servers.

I wrote a powershell script to search AD by GUID, and it"s not in our internal AD, our DMZ, nor in any other AD that clients (or I) have access to. (http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/powershell-search-ad-for-a-guid/)

Additionally, there are at least three different GUIDS being reported by our IT staff.

What is this Instance-<GUID>, and how can I make it go away?
Karlhttp://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
-join(" 6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574" -split" (?<=\G.{2})" ,19|%{[char][int]" 0x$_" })

A

Allen Song

Hi,

Are all users or certain user having this issue? Did you recreate Outlook profile for the problematic user?

Thanks

Allen

K

Karl Mitschke

Hi Alan;

This happens for random users.

One user has had it happen ten times, twice in the last week alone.

I am checking on the method that this department uses to resolve the issue, and will post back as I receive an update.

Karl

http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
-join(" 6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574" -split" (?<=\G.{2})" ,19|%{[char][int]" 0x$_" })

K

Karl Mitschke

Alan;

This department just modifies the " Instance-" garbage back to the FWDN of our CAS array, and clicks check name.

I am asking them to try creating a new profile.

Karl

K

Karl Mitschke

Allen;

Get this response when I suggested they create a new profile " Ya I will have to ask since they lose all of their quick pick names. No one here is ever excited to get a new computer because they lose those stupid things."

I will try working with a different department ;)

Sorry for misspelling your name twice.

Karl

M

mneal83

Allen,

My company is having the exact same issue with the Exchange server switching to Instance - GUID. We recently migrated mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 and since have noticed that users who are still using the Outlook 2003 client will randomly change to this Instance - GUID. Redoing their outlook profile only temporarily fixes the matter and does not actually resolve it.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

A

Allen Song

Hi,

Thanks Karl. If you get the answer from premier team, please post here if possible. That will be helpful for others user.

Allen

H

Highstreet Licensing

Hi Karl,

Did you ever get your instance-<GUID> problem fixed, I'm having the same issue? Thanks Karl.

H

Highstreet Licensing

Hello,

I'm not 100% sure if this is a fix yet but I shutdown the old Exchange Server and removed the old internal DNS record for the old Exchange Server and created a dns record for 'autodiscovery' with ip address directed to the new Exchange Server. Since this change was made I haven't had any Outlook 2003 disconnects. I will post back if I still have any disconnects. I'm wondering if outlook was somehow still trying to connect to the old Exchange Server and when it couldn't it would change the server name to 'Instance-<GUID>'

H

Highstreet Licensing

Hello,

The above fix is not 100%, it has slowed down the amount of disconnects but some people still get disconnected.

H

Highstreet Licensing

Hi Karl,

Did Microsoft ever get back to you on this problem?

K

Karl Mitschke

Per our Premier Support engineer:

RPC Client Access has special cases in it for clients that do not understand " per-MDB" mappings (such as Outlook 2003). For these clients, it uses a " trick" to force the client to open a new connection by sending an ecWrongServer response to the client and providing a special DN that can be resolved by the Referral service (RfrGetFqdnFromLegacyDN) back to the proper Client Access array. The problem behavior can be triggered by networking issues, patch applications, server reboots, etc. It requires Outlook to lose connectivity to Exchange and have a delegate logon attempted on a connection before the primary logon is attempted on that connection. When Outlook receives an ecWrongServer response on a logon that is being attempted for the &ldquo;home&rdquo; mailbox connection, it assumes the mailbox has been moved and it updates the PR_PROFILE_HOME_SERVER_NAME and PR_PROFILE_HOME_SERVER_DN in the Exchange Global section of the profile; these properties are used by the Outlook client to know which server it should contact for the Referral service. The problem with this is that the Referral service is the one responsible for translating the self-referencing legacyDN back to an FQDN. If the Outlook client tries to connect to Referral service by connecting to Instance-GUID, it won"t resolve and we will fail the connect. The only way to get connected again is to re-resolve the server name in the profile or create a new profile.

Essentially if the CAS sends the ecWrongServer redirect to Outlook in response to a logon attempt for the primary logon account, the result will be stored in the profile. This is bad and is what we"re asking them to fix. We should never send this type of redirect on the &ldquo;home&rdquo; or primary connection.

Karl

H

Highstreet Licensing

Thanks Karl for the response. Has Microsoft got back to you on a fix or work around for this problem? Thanks again. I can't believe Microsoft won't have solved this before the released Exchange 2010. There must be quite a few angry Sys Admins out there and I'm one of them.

K

Karl Mitschke

The onbly " Fix" or " workaround" so far is to upgrade to Outlook 2007 or 2010.

We are still waiting for Moicrosoft to decide to fix this.

We upgraded to Exchange 2010 SP1 last week, and are awaiting response on the Instance-<GUID> problem, but I excpect that it's still broken.

On August 20th, we received this response:

" This morning, I filed a bug with Exchange Sustained Engineering for this issue. Exchange Sustained engineering will need to triage this bug and decide whether or not it is something they can accept for a fix.

If they do accept it for a fix, it will be targeted for a future Exchange 2010 Update Rollup. If necessary, once accepted and the developer completes his changes and codes a fix, we can request an Interim Update that will resolve this issue for you immediately prior to the release of the Update Rollup that will contain this."

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Outlook 2016 - How to change password in MS Exchange email client Using Outlook 0
B Exchange 2010 / Outlook 20070 "client error in synchronization log" Exchange Server Administration 1
Z Outlook 2010 client to Exchange ,,,,search not working proparly Exchange Server Administration 0
R Ingest contact PST from exchange 2007 thru client's Outlook via PRF Exchange Server Administration 2
O No SSL-IMAP connection Outlook <-> Exchange 2010 after latest client updates? Using Outlook 3
B Re-add a client Outlook back to Exchange. Using Outlook 4
B Adding a client Outlook to Exchange Using Outlook 2
K Outlook 2010 on Exchange - 'Sent Items' box always empty on client, but populated in OWA Using Outlook 5
B Exchange MAPI Client and CDO using RPC over HTTP / Outlook Anywhere Using Outlook 2
S Opening Additional Mailboxes with Outlook 2003 Client (Exchange 2010) Exchange Server Administration 3
S Configure outlook client after migrate mailbox from exchange 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
M Upgrading from Excahnge 2003 to Exchange 2010 how does it effect outlook client users Exchange Server Administration 7
C Exchange Client Extensions in Outlook 2010? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Exchange Client Extensions in Outlook 2010? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Looking for client-side method (Outlook 2007/Exchange 2007) for users to delete Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Exchange &amp; Outlook Anywhere - My Server Crashes any Outlook Client that connects Using Outlook 2
M Move Mailbox from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2010 (no DAG) - Client Outlook MAPI Profile still lists Exchange Server Administration 9
V Outlook 2003 OpenEntry - Exchange Client Extension API Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Outlook 2010 Outlook/Win7 Client logging Event ID 36887 Using Outlook 0
L Outlook Office 365 client: won't remember my setting File, not to collapse ribbon Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2016 Client and 365 - Groups Folder Using Outlook 3
F "Move to" O365 feature to Outlook client via VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
A How to get rid of "sending on behalf of" when sending from Outlook 2016 client Using Outlook 12
R Making Outlook default client in share charm Using Outlook 4
L Synching Office 365 contacts to Iphone MS Outlook client Using Outlook 5
T Calendar Entry in Outlook Client but will not sync Exchange Server Administration 1
P Outlook 2013 client not showing newly added Contacts but... Using Outlook 5
J Outlook client not redrawing completely upon restore Using Outlook 0
M Outlook client macro to web access Using Outlook 1
T Make Default Outlook 2010 Client Mail Using Outlook 1
S HTML Contents of an email Jumbled in Outlook 2010 Client Using Outlook 5
B Sent Items Not Displaying in Outlook 2010 Client Using Outlook 2
R Shared Inbox Outlook 2010 - one client cannot access Exchange Server Administration 1
J Deactivate MS Outlook 2007 prompt to make it the default email client Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010 Mailtips not working for 1 client Exchange Server Administration 2
P Outlook 2007 Crashes Opening Scheduling Assistant On Some Client PC's Using Outlook 2
W Audit Outlook client Rules Using Outlook 2
B junk email folder properties synchronization tab missing ..outlook 2007 client Using Outlook 3
S outlook not working for a new client Exchange Server Administration 2
R Outlook client giving undeliverable message Using Outlook 2
N Outlook Anywhere Not Updating Local Cached Password After Reset - Client Stays Disconnected Using Outlook 2
B error code 0x800CCC80 in Outlook 'None of the authentication methods supported by this client are su Using Outlook 3
S Synchronization issue - CRM - Outlook client - Smartphone Using Outlook 1
M Outlook Client 2003 shared Calendar Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 2010 32bit, Office Communicator 2007 R2 32bit client and Office Communicator 2007 Server cau Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2010-could not perform function; default mail client not properly installed-when trying to a Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 Client crashes on new message, reply, forward, send as attachment Using Outlook 3
I I get a COM class error when i open Outlook after un-installing Trend Micro client Using Outlook 4
M Password protecting Outlook Client Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2010 Client - "unable to connect to retrieve additional data" for some Distribution lists Exchange Server Administration 7