Use New-MailboxExportRequest as a scheduled task

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markerman

Hello,

I have a client that has one new exchange 2010 server that has all three main roles on it. They have a linux based antispam/antivirus email gateway between the exchange server and the internet. They cannot afford a third party backup solution so they are using a Windows Server 2008 scheduled daily backup. They would like to have a brick layer mailbox backup solution as well. My solution is to use New-MailboxExportRequest commandlet. I want to use New-MailboxExportRequest to export multiple mailboxes to PST's on the local file system and let Windows backup back those up. My problem is I need to script the New-MailboxExportRequest commandlets to do this and schedule the script to run daily before the backups whick take place very fast. 100+GB in less than an hour. I do intend to get more learned in the exchange management shell, but I have a deadline for this task. Can someone help with a script sample I could use?

Thanks in advance.

James

T

testrrrr

I have not really an answer to your question but what about "recovery database"? Its much more work to recover data than bricklevel backup but at least it is a possibility:

You have to:

- recover the complete Database to a Recovery Database

- use eseutil to make it clean shutdown

- use powershell ot get the complete mailbox as subfolders in the original mailbox

For me it is a big "plus" that you have somthing like a test that your normal backup works included.

here is an explantion how to do this:

http://chrislehr.com/2009/10/exchange-2010-recovery-scenario-1.htm

M

markerman

Thanks for the reply. That is the current recovery solution until I can figure out how to implement my idea above.

James

James

S

Steve Goodman [MCITP]

M

markerman

Thanks Steve. It works like a charm. Although I had to figure out the best place to run these from. I chose the C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin folder. So I just copied both there, edited the PS1 file to work with my environment, and scheduled the cmd file to run nightly @ 9:00PM, two hours before the daily backup. I tested it and it took 1 hour to export all the mailboxes to a local folder using UNC \\servername\pstexports. It local it never leaves the machine. Perfect solution for a small business. And looking at the PS1 script it seems pretty simple too. (Meaning I can read it and tell what it does.) Not sure I'm skilled enough yet to come up with it on my own. I'll get there. Thank you very much.

James

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S New-MailboxExportRequest - EXPAND 10 item import limit (PST IMPORTS) Exchange Server Administration 3
P The export process to the .pst files very slow with New-MailboxExportRequest Exchange Server Administration 7
G Cannot pass a date variable into new-mailboxexportrequest contentfilter Exchange Server Administration 1
T New-MailboxExportRequest queues for over 15 minutes before executing. Also seems limited to 1 mailb Exchange Server Administration 2
A [Exchange 2010 SP1] Script New-MailboxExportRequest with ContentFilter parameters Exchange Server Administration 6
C new-mailboxexportrequest - no more deletecontent switch? Exchange Server Administration 1
M Delete Specific Messages After MailboxExportRequest Exchange Server Administration 3
S New-MailboxExportRequest Couldn't connect to the source mailbox. Exchange Server Administration 13
V Scheduled backup of imap account Using Outlook 7
T Scheduled footer change Using Outlook 2
M Outlook does not bold calendar dates when events are scheduled for those dates. Using Outlook 1
T Resource room not sending notfications when meetings are scheduled from Outlook Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2010 won't perform Send/Receive on IMAP folders as scheduled Using Outlook 2
S Meetings Scheduled To A Resource Via Outlook 2007, Do Not Book Using Outlook 1
H Scheduled a meeting and the organizer go set to an invitee. Using Outlook 1
M WBADMIN Scheduled Backup for Exchange 2010 Fails with Event ID 544 Error Exchange Server Administration 5
C Scheduled meeting delivers an email instead of a meeting notice. Using Outlook 2
M Sending an email invite to a scheduled reoccurring series of meetings at once even though certain occurrences in the series have been modified. Using Outlook 1
S "You do not have permission to send to this recipient" when making changes to scheduled meetings Using Outlook 3
A Possible to Disable send receive at startup, but keep scheduled send receive active? Using Outlook 3
M Running Outlook as Scheduled task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Scheduled Task Fails running Code to send Outlook Mail from Excel. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
C Scheduled Task Doesn't work with Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Scheduled backup for BCM Database Tool BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C How do you add an attendee to a already scheduled meeting? Using Outlook 3
J Office 365 erased all of my task views Using Outlook 3
T Report For Task Recurrance Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
E Can't accept or decline task (no button appears) Using Outlook 4
B VBA to convert email to task, insert text of email in task notes, and attach copy of original email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Task Filter Not Working When I add too many criteria Using Outlook 0
X If you change expiration date of repeated task it dupplicates Using Outlook 1
B How to show concatenated categories in list task view? Using Outlook 2
B VBA to Collapse Task Folder Groups Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E To convert imported data to custom fields in Task list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
I Help with dates in task list. Using Outlook 5
Y Outlook Task View - Table Format - Customize Reminder Time to Drop-Down Selection Using Outlook 2
M Daily Task List Minimized Cannot Display Using Outlook 2
D Using a VBA Custom Form to Send Reoccurring Email Upon Task Completion Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Add a contact to the New Task in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
S Codes for "Mark Complete" the task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
W Deleting Sent Task Email, Deletes the task from my list Using Outlook 1
K Task priority modification Using Outlook 4
F Search folder for tasks in all task folders Using Outlook 1
JohnViuf Export task list view settings to other pc Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
V Changing default date for task follow-up buttons Using Outlook 2
K outlook workflow: automated task generation Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
U HTML Task Alternate Home Page View Control Using Outlook 3
F How to assign a task to a public task folder? Using Outlook 1
J Marketing task MS BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 10
copperberry How to view all tasks across task folders Using Outlook 3