move or copy from PST to Public Folder permissions issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZhelR

Hi,

I am having a problem with moving/copying one folder from PST file to Public Folders hive. Any attempt to move or copy this folder ends up with error message:

" Cannot move or copy folders. Cannot move folder. A top-level folder cannot be moved to one of its subfolders. Or, you may not have appropriate permissions for the folder. To check your permissions for the folder, right-click the folder, and then click properties on the shortcut menu."

After I press OK I can find a newly created folder in Public folder tree with the same name as source folder but without any permissions assigned. Get-PublicFolderClientPermission shows that only " Default" user has FolderVisible permissions applied to this folder. And that is it.

I have already checked Everyone permissions for " Create public folder" , " Create top level public folder" and " Create named properties in the information store" as it was suggested somewhere. The account I am using for copying has " Owner" rights for the destination folder and belongs to " Enterprise Admin" , " Organization Management" and " Public Folder Management" groups. I am using Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010 RU3.

Can somebody please point me to the correct direction? Any suggestion will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

G

Gavin-Zhang

Hi AhelR,
Please check you have the permission, I have test what you refered, everything work well.
If you just add the special account to the groups, and gave the special permission to the account, and then you need wait for a period time, for the replication, and then make a test again.
Regards!
Gavin

Z

ZhelR

Hi Gavin

Thank you for taking time for replay. I clearly understand that it should work just straight forward as it is not a rocket since to drag and drop one folder to another. But unfortunately that does not work for me and that is the reason for my post here.

Can you please specify what kind of permissions you have suggested to check? At the moment account I am running copy operation from has the following permission on target folder:

Public Folder client permissions: Owner

Public Folder administrative permissions: AllExtendedRights

AD permissions: GenericAll

Can you think of any other permissions I should check?

Below there are some other things to point.

1. I am running mixed environment of Exchange 2003 and 2010.

2. I have also seen some suggestion to check rights for " Everyone" on

" CN=Public Folders,CN=Folder Hierarchies,CN=<Organisation Name>,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<AG Name>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<Domain>,DC=com"

and thise rights are correct. However I have got another " ,CN=Folder Hierarchies" object under

" CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<Organisation Name>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<Domain>,DC=com"

and it does not contain " CN=Public Folders" object and I am not sure is it is correct or not.

3. When the copy/move fails the following event is recorded into EventLog:

Log Name: Application
Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store
Date: 7/30/2010 8:33:00 PM
Event ID: 1030
Task Category: Access Control
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: <Computer>
Description:
USER failed an operation on folder /O=ORGANIZATION/OU=administrative group/CN=Public Folder/ on database " server name" because the user did not have the following access rights:
'Delete' 'Read Property' 'Write Property' 'Create Message' 'View Item' 'Create Subfolder' 'Write Security Descriptor' 'Write Owner' 'Read Security Descriptor' 'Contact'

But according to one old MS kb article this event can be safely ignored.

4. This all also true apples any other users with the same rights.

5. I can successfully move/copy any SUB-FOLDER of the source folder to destination Public folder without any problems but not the folder itself.

6 I can also successfully copy the content of that PST file to users inbox on the server and then move or copy it over to PF tree.

Thank you in advance for any advise given.

Status
Not open for further replies.