Cross site DAG and CAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kyury

Hi,

have a couple of questions about auto switch over and split-brain syndroms when working in a cross site situation.

I have 2 AD sites spanning between 2 physical sites - both site's have active users working in them.

In my primary site I have 2 MBX servers and 2 CAS/HUB servers.

In my secondary site I have 1 all-in-one server.

I have configured a DAG between all 3 MBX servers, and CAS array between the 2 servers in my primary site.

Users in the primary site are connecting to the CAS array, and users in the secondary site are connecting to the all-in-one server.

the questions are as followed:

1. Lets say one of my site fails - is there an automatic way to redirect all users in that site to the other CAS server?

2. Lets say that the network link between the site goes down - what will happen to the DAG DB's? I have activated DAC on my DAG (I have 3 server's), so that means the the DB's will not auto mount right? but what happens if the server actualy fails? will it also not auto mount?

Thx!

yuryk

B

Brian Day MCITP [MVP]

1. Do you mean external or internal users? Are the internal users located in the same site that just failed? (Then no for them for sure). For external users you would need to update your external DNS records to point to the DR site as part of a Datacenter Failover.

2. If you have a cross-site DAG w/DAC enabled then the site with 1 node will dismount any mounted DBs and not be able to mount any others unless you perform manual operations to force them to mount. I don't understand the second part of your question. If a server fails then you lose communication with it just like if the WAN failed, Exchange won't know the difference.

My posts are provided "AS IS" with no guarantees, no warranties, and confer no rights.

K

kyury

Thx for the answers.

Brian:

1. I mean both internal and external users. My internal users are located on a different AD site, and are on the same site that just failed. From what I've been reading I guess that I have to initiate the Set-MailboxDatabase -RpcClientAccessServer to redirect all the users in the failed site to the CAS server in the other site thats working. Is that right? Is there no way to auto redirect them?

2. So what you saying is that all the DB's that are mounted on the servers - in both of the sites (if the network goes down) will be auto dismounted? And I will have to auto mount them manually?

yuryk

J

jader3rd

1. There is no recommended way to redirect the Cas traffic. Cas arrays are tied to sites. I have seen some ideas proposed around a hard load balanancer infront of both Cas sites or round robbining, but both are bad ideas that leave you with miserable performance in the normal use case. It's kind of by design that you don't get automatic Cas redirection failover.

2. If the link goes down all of the databases will mount in the primary site (assuming that both of the mailbox servers in the primary site are up). The mailbox server in the secondary site will lose quorum and make sure that databases won't mount on it until it regains quorum.

K

kyury

1. There is no recommended way to redirect the Cas traffic. Cas arrays are tied to sites. I have seen some ideas proposed around a hard load balanancer infront of both Cas sites or round robbining, but both are bad ideas that leave you with miserable performance in the normal use case. It's kind of by design that you don't get automatic Cas redirection failover.

2. If the link goes down all of the databases will mount in the primary site (assuming that both of the mailbox servers in the primary site are up). The mailbox server in the secondary site will lose quorum and make sure that databases won't mount on it until it regains quorum.

so what happens to the mounted DB's on the server in secondary site? it will auto dismount to prevent split brain?yuryk

N

Neil Hobson [MVP]

Yep, those databases will dismount as the server in the secondary site doesn't have quorum.

"kyury" wrote in message news:93b41a9a-2e33-4548-9a49-b190b7d1739b@communitybridge.codeplex .com...

so what happens to the mounted DB's on the server in secondary site? it will auto dismount to prevent split brain? yuryk Neil Hobson, Exchange MVP

K

kyury

Hi Neil,

Sorry for the late respone.

In that particular case, when the WAN link is down and the secondary site DB is auto-dismounted - what steps should I perfrom to mount it again?

yuryk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S single DAG two AD sites cross site database failure Exchange Server Administration 3
S Can a DAG Cross Site Bounderies Exchange Server Administration 1
J Cross AD Site Free Busy / Availability Issue Exchange Server Administration 3
P Exchange 2010 SP1 Cross Site CAS connection disable Exchange Server Administration 2
D Red cross Using Outlook 1
W installing exchange 2010 with multiple forest (Cross-forest) Exchange Server Administration 2
B Cross Forest Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 Mailbox Move question Exchange Server Administration 15
S Cross forest migration Forefront Identity Manager 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
S Cross forest migration legacy namespace OWA Exchange Server Administration 2
M cross forest DAG for mailbox database replication Exchange Server Administration 3
R Migrate Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 Cross-Forest Exchange Server Administration 4
C RBAC Cross Domain issues Exchange Server Administration 8
N Cross Forest Mail routing from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
S Cross Forest Migration from 2003 SBS to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
B Exchange Availabilty - Cross-Forest/Trusted - Calendar Permissions Using Outlook 3
J Cross Forest Coexistence routing Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 with a shared namespace Exchange Server Administration 3
2 moving mailbox cross forest Exchange Server Administration 14
S Federation: Share GAL in Cross-Forest Topology Exchange Server Administration 0
E Exchange 2003 Cross-Forest Migration to Exchange 2010 - Outlook? Exchange Server Administration 7
M Cross-Forest Availibility Service Exchange Server Administration 3
S cross post please read: Exchange Account password prompt in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
B missing cross contact field in the bottom of the contact card Using Outlook 4
S Prevent Cross-Forest New-MoveRequest from deleting the source mailbox Exchange Server Administration 10
K Compacting mailboxes after cross-forest migration? Exchange Server Administration 4
F Re: Cross Forest Migration Issue Exchange Server Administration 9
F Cross Forest Migration Issue Exchange Server Administration 1
K Cross Subnet Client Access Array Exchange Server Administration 8
R Cross forest mailbox move fails 2003 - 2010 EMC Exchange Server Administration 6
M Cross forest mailbox move from Ex2003 to Ex2007 Exchange Server Administration 4
J Failed to find the address type 'SMTP:AMD64' during cross-forest mailbox move Exchange Server Administration 2
S Re: Exchange 2010 Archive mailbox cross domain access Exchange Server Administration 1
T BLUE CIRCLE WITH A CROSS IN OUTLOOK BOX. Using Outlook 1
C Exchange 2010 Cross-Forest Administration Problems Exchange Server Administration 16
M Cross-Forest mailbox move and linked mailbox Exchange Server Administration 8
S NDR when sending cross-domain-mails from Office 2007 Exchange Server Administration 6
K Cross forest migration Ex2007 to Ex2010, Mailbox replication Service restart unexpectally Exchange Server Administration 8
F cross forest shared namespace mailbox move Exchange Server Administration 6
J Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 cross forest migration Exchange Server Administration 16
T Exchange 2010 Public Folder Migration Cross Forest Exchange Server Administration 11
A Exchange 2010 Move mailbox Cross Forest Exchange Server Administration 11
R Exchange 2010 CAS high availibility cross datacenters Exchange Server Administration 9
D Removing multiple Exchange 2007 servers on the same Domain and site Exchange Server Administration 1
M Exchange 2010 OWA Redirect with Authentication Across AD Site Exchange Server Administration 1
A Exchange 2010 CAS Failover from Internet Facing site to Non-Internet Facing Site - Certificate Issue Exchange Server Administration 3
O How do I failover to my DR Site. Exchange Server Administration 13
S DAG Deployment Design with site resiliance Exchange Server Administration 2
X Single AD site with DR Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 6
S Exchange 2010 Design Consideration in Multi Site Topology Exchange Server Administration 3
B Active Active Site Resilience Exchange Server Administration 3
D I can't set up my account because the site does not accept my email account Using Outlook 2