AutoComplete is not seeing email addresses in Contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slinke

In freshly installed Outlook 2007, I have 330 people in my "Contacts" list. When I start typing in the "To" field, no names are suggested (until after I have sent an email to the person). This seems idiotic and broken.

Under "Advanced Email Options" the "Automatic name checking" and "Suggest names..." items are both selected. Under the properties for the "Contacts" folder, the "Show this folder as an Address Book" box is selected (and grayed out). I have tried deleting my "Outlook.NK2" file. I have tried addressing an email to everybody in my Contacts list, but then deleting it rather than sending it

In addition, there is another weird behavior. When I open "Address Book: Contacts" by going to Tools > Address Book, all of the people in my Contacts folder show up, but about 40% do not have anything under the "Name" or "Display Name" heading. Yet, if I open those contacts (properties), they have both names and display names, and there is no visible difference between the entries for the 40% that do no show them, and the 60% that do.

Outlook is a very messed up program.

S

slinke

After further review of the Outlook help file on AutoComplete, it seems that Outlook does not support automatic completing based on entries in the Contacts list. Since every other email program I have used has this functionality, I expected it to be available in Outlook. I guess I was wrong about this brain-dead program. Sorry to be so negative, but I have spent a frustrating couple of hours trying to figure this out.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

autocomplete is just a list of people you recently sent messages to, not everyone in your contacts folder. If you want all contacts on it, open a new message, click To and select all names. Add them to the messages then close it without sending.

Automatic name checking is auto-resolution- as soon as you tab out of the field (if not before) outlook tries to match up the name you typed with a contact.

did you export your contacts to move them to the freshly installed outlook 2007? That can cause funny thing with contacts. If you edit the contact and save it, does the name show up in the Address book?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
After further review of the Outlook help file on AutoComplete, it seems that Outlook does not support automatic completing based on entries in the Contacts list.

You need to add the addresses to the list. Honestly, i prefer not having all my contacts on the list - i don't send email to many of them more than once a year and having addresses i rarely use on the list increases the chances I'll accidently send them a message intended for others. But if you want all on your list, address a message to everyone then close it without sending.

S

slinke

Putting email addresses into an email, and then deleting it before sending does not add the names to the AutoComplete list. I have tried that several times. I even tried going into offline mode and hitting send prior to deleting the fake email. Does not work.

Yes, I imported the addresses from an Entourage for Mac export. Some of them show up as expected. Others do not have any Name or Display name. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for which ones worked. If I edit the Contact entries for the ones that lack the Name and Display Name data, it does not usually add the information (they are in the appropriate fields in the Contact, but they do not show up in the Tools > Address Book list). On a couple of contacts, when I tried this, it did add the Name and Display Name data. Again, though, there seems to be no rhyme or reason.

What a crazy stupid and inconsistent program Outlook is! I appreciate your efforts, though. Thanks for trying and taking the time to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Outlook Autocomplete suggestions showing wrong person's name against an email address Using Outlook 0
V Autocomplete not working on new email account Using Outlook 4
G Autocomplete adds suspicious "@unknown.email" to selected contacts Using Outlook 1
J autocomplete function in custom form Using Outlook 1
M Outlook.com autocomplete list invaded by strange items Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
M email autocomplete broke.. Using Outlook 5
C Autocomplete losing some (not all) addresses Using Outlook 6
N Importing Google contacts from CSV file removes recipient names in autocomplete list Using Outlook 0
V Outlook 2013 - transfer autocomplete data Using Outlook 4
A Autocomplete issue Using Outlook 6
Michael Durthaler Outlook 2013 Autocomplete File Is Infected Using Outlook 1
U Autocomplete not working Using Outlook 5
S Recover Autocomplete After Computer Failure Re-install Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 2013 AutoComplete Limit Using Outlook 3
O Add please, Outlook Autocomplete working per account in multi profile ! Outlook Wishlist 5
Z Copy Outlook 2007 "AutoComplete Contacts” to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
J autocomplete in "To" field does not work for display names Using Outlook 8
U Imported contacts to appear in Autocomplete Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2010 Autocomplete Using Outlook 7
N Outlook should use address in address book before the address in Autocomplete Using Outlook 0
A Help with random numbers in autocomplete emails Exchange Server Administration 3
K Autocomplete list not saving distribution list Using Outlook 3
H can not get autocomplete on Using Outlook 2
S Autocomplete entries wiped out when I exit Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 12
R Help migrating Autocomplete contacts, from Outlook 2003 to windows live mail. Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2010 - AutoComplete not working properly Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2010. Autocomplete expired or what? Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2010 Autocomplete Using Name Rather Than Email Address Using Outlook 2
L OWA 2007 disable autocomplete Using Outlook 3
P Outlook 2010 autocomplete clears the cache when exiting Outlook Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2010 Autocomplete not working Using Outlook 5
S Autocomplete has not worked since I got my new computer a month or so ago. How do I fix it so the emails are stored for autocomplete? Using Outlook 1
S AutoComplete addresses lost in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
G Autocomplete: How do I turn it back ON for Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
G Autocomplete: How do I turn it on? There is a large existing address book. Using Outlook 1
V outlook 2007 autocomplete not working when typing in addresses Using Outlook 3
D Disable Autocomplete in OWA 2010 for ALL users? Exchange Server Administration 5
C Outlook 2010 stopped retaining address autocomplete data Using Outlook 8
C Outlook 2010 autocomplete not retaining data Using Outlook 13
L Outlook autocomplete sort order Using Outlook 3
S Transferring AutoComplete List Using Outlook 5
M Roaming AutoComplete Lists, how to turn it off? Exchange Server Administration 2
D Autocomplete doesn't retain the database after Outlook 2010 is restarted. Using Outlook 1
D Autocomplete in Outlook Using Outlook 4
F Address book Autocomplete does not appear in Outlook Web Access like it does in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
D Autocomplete not functioning in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
L OWA 2010 Autocomplete Using Outlook 11
N Outlook 2010 Autocomplete not working Using Outlook 6
M Outlook 2007 Autocomplete Issue Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2003 Autocomplete History Using Outlook 2