Outlook 2010 snooze duration not reset for additional reminders

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chicktower

In previous versions the default snooze time was always 5 minutes on reminders. However, in 2010, the time I set for one reminder's snooze is carried over to subsequent reminders (e.g., 2 hours set for the first reminder is also set for the second reminder).

Is there a way to get all reminders to use a default of snooze for 5 minutes rather than keeping the value I chose for the previous reminder?

V

vcNetAdmin

I am experiencing the same issue. I upgraded from Outlook 2007 to 2010 and this is when the issue started. It was fine in 2007.

T

thorn2fish

Same for me. I had become accustomed to the way it worked in 2007 (actually for several generations of Outlook), so it is VERY frustrating. I can't imagine that there aren't more complaints about this. There is nothing more frustrating than missing a meeting and then to be reminded an hour later that you are 45 minutes late (or whatever value was in the delay).

See Posts:

http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/d4260c5c-0ddd-4c90-a9ef-601d9c37472f

http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/656af605-e797-4bce-b84a-83940302a6d1

http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/a458e1c0-c891-462d-a58e-e83fbde90028

J

jeffreywmsmith708

As reported here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/d4260c5c-0ddd-4c90-a9ef-601d9c37472f/

This is quite a nuisance:

" Previously in OL 2007, this value (once set in a given Outlook session) would be " remembered" each time the Reminder recurred, thus necessitating only a single click of the Snooze button if no change is desired. Now, every reminder requires 3 clicks (one for the drop down arrow, one to select the length of time to 'Snooze', and one to activate the Snooze). I use Reminders pretty heavily so this inefficiency is noticeable to me."

Diane, if you are still monitoring this thread, as MVP, do you have a contact amongst the MS powers that be that can change this behavior back to the way it was in OL 2007?

Hope someone can fix this soon!

Jeff

J

jeffreywmsmith708

Why does this get " Marked As Answer by Shreyas HS <abbr class=" affil" >Microsoft Support</abbr> <abbr class=" affil" >, Moderator</abbr>" when, in fact, the question is not answered and the problem is not fixed?

Jeff

S

Sanwin2

Why does this get " Marked As Answer by Shreyas HS <abbr class=" affil" >Microsoft Support</abbr> <abbr class=" affil" >, Moderator</abbr>" when, in fact, the question is not answered and the problem is not fixed?

Jeff

Possibly because the answer details how 2010 works and is designed to work - hence the question is answered. The fact that some people don't like the way 2010 works is something which needs to be raised by lots of people as a problem report before MS will consider a change.

J

JeffreyWmSmith

Thanks for posting on this, Sanwin2. I appreciate your perspective, but find it hard to believe that, in this respect, OL2010 was " designed to work" ../../../../../Profile/en-US/?user=Sanwin2&referrer=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.answers.microsoft.com%2fForums%2fen-US%2foutlookcontact%2fthread%2f19b9f1d1-4a00-48f0-91ae-f386a2f30d0a%3foutputas%3dxml&rh=EjDmGpQi2un6erzuAbT3O%2b8OV5BYLgEBqEAk%2bJknCoM%3d&sp=forumslike this. The current behavior makes no sense and serves no purpose. Why would MS intentionally create code whose effect is to cause it's customers a 200% increase in the mouse clicks necessary to accomplish the Snooze function (in my case, quite frequently) with a default reminder scheme that serves no one well, almost all of the time? To me, this sounds like a bug and should not have been " Marked as Answer" . Instead it should have been forwarded to the OL team for resolution. After all, if MS customers take the time to document their concerns and suggestions for improvement, only to encounter a seemingly uncaring, lackadaisical response from MS support (and sometimes even Forum moderators), that's only going to feed customer frustration and ill will towards MS. My 2 cents.

Jeff

Jeff (32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate | 32-bit Office 2003, 2007, & 2010)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
It was denied to work like this because they apparently had a number of complaints from people who didn't want 5 min before start set as default. They are aware of the complaints about the change in bwehavior but i don't know if there are plans to change it.

J

JeffreyWmSmith

Hi Diane & thanks for posting back.

> It was designed to work like this because they apparently had a number of complaints from people who didn't want 5 min before start set as default.

But " 5 min before start" was *not* the previous default if the user had already previously picked a different Snooze interval. The previously picked Snooze interval then became the default in OL 2007 and OL 2003. I can't imagine that this present *solution* made anybody happy, because most of the time it's going to take 3 clicks to get it the way you want it. Almost every reminder is going to have a unique interval for when the user is going to care to be reminded again, and rarely is going to be the same as the last clicked reminder's interval. That seems clear on the surface of things to me, and I think it will to anyone who steps through that logic. If it helps settle these kind of issues, perhaps it would be a good thing for MS to establish a " Poll page" for each applications where users can describe their pet peeves, and other users can weigh in on them for a certain period of time, to be followed by a user Poll to settle the issue. At least that way, users have a way to have their input, and to consider the perspective of other users, and MS gets the benefit of having their customers vet the issues themselves, in a structured manner. As it stand now, I have to say that it often times seems like the input that customers offer goes into a black hole or, at best, maybe gets thrown to the team working on the *next* version. This latter method I could understand for those issues whose solutions require deep architectural changes in the code, but not for things like this where only minor tweaking seems to be required (after all, MS *already* has the code to make it work the way it used to ... in the previous version. With a little more effort, I expect that they could even add a new OL Option to let users select how they want their Snooze Interval to function.

Jeff

J

JayRayGee

I can't believe ANYONE would want the behavior as it is now in Outlook 2010. I also use reminders a great deal to manage my time and tasks, and this change makes me want to move back to 2007. I'm one of the IT guinea pigs trying out 2010 before we consider deploying this to our entire company - I'm going to recommend against it. This is NOT progress.

Add me to the " WTF was MS thinking" side of this.

J

JeffreyWmSmith

Thanks for posting and supporting this JayRayGee. I didn't know it would prove so prophetic so soon when I said above: " As it stand now, I have to say that it often times seems like the input that customers offer goes into a black hole or, at best, maybe gets thrown to the team working on the *next* version."

Yeah, I'd have to it seems like a little deja vu going on right now. I don't know how the moderators deal with these questions. I mean, case in point, I provided what I thought was on-point input to the topic in question in mySeptember 11, 2010 7:40 PM post, and the silence (13 days and counting) has been deafening. And this is happening in what had been an active, fairly well-tended question, where my last response was less than 90 minutes since the MVP Moderator had herself responded (I mean it wasn't like I walked away from the question and let it go dormant). So, with no response, much less a rebuttal, it's hard to know what theyare thinking/doing ...

I think I am going to try to click the " Propose as Answer" button on bothmy September 11, 2010 5:04 PM post and my September 11, 2010 7:40 PMpost. I don't know if you can do that with your own post or not so, if you agree with either post, perhaps *your*clicking the " Propose as Answer" button will help alert the moderators that this question ought to be re-opened.

Jeff

L

lostnomad311

Ha

WTF was MS thinking ...most meeting invites I receive have a 30 minute reminder ...if my math is correct thats 5 snoozes. I like most MS users work for a corporate overmind who among other things mandates minimum weekly meetings, which add up to 10+ meetings on a slow week. 5 * 10 is 50 snoozes per week.

Also add me to the WTF is the mod thinking forcing answers upon the masses ...did MS tell you to do that?

(and don't you dare delete my post!!!)

J

jeffreywmsmith708

Hi lostnomad,

Thanks for joining the topic and supporting the cause. I don't know what it takes to reach a " critical mass" of unsatisfied customers before MS will fix something (even something minor like I think this is), but I have to say that they aren't really adept at damage control in the process. They trot out little stories expected to make us think their changes were " designed" features instead of bugs; then when their customers refute those stories (with, I might add, logical supporting reasons), they just walk away from the topic.

I see you are the 6th person to log in supporting our view, and I count at least 4 more on related topics mentioned in this post that seem to feel the previous behavior was preferable to the current mess which can't serve anyone well. That's not counting how many other people have posted similar questions in either these forums or forums elsewhere. Worse, those of us who take the time to document the issues (that after all, improve their products) have to endure the kind of unprofessionalism, inattention, and downright rudeness as has been evident in this topic. I have yet to see any justification that the changes they made solved anyone's problems or that they are even logical.

As I suggested to an earlier contibutor to this topic, I clicked the" Propose as Answer" button on both my September 11, 2010 5:04 PM post and my September 11, 2010 7:40 PM post. If you (or anyone else reviewing this topic) agree with either post, perhaps *your*clicking the " Propose as Answer" button, too (on either post), will help alert the moderators and build support for the idea that this question ought to be re-opened.

Jeff

E

EngineerBoy

I just want to add my voice to those asking " What was Microsoft thinking?" . As far as I can tell, they have changed a reminder/snooze behavior that has fundamentally been the same (and quite logical and satisfactory) since Outlook 98.

I've been living with the current behavior for several months to see if the issue was just me needing to unlearn previous behaviors and embrace something newer and better, but that has not been the case. The current reminder scheme is completely illogical, because it takes the snooze you used for MeetingA and then applies that as the default for MeetingB, regardless of the fact that MeetingA and MeetingB are not related in any way and there is no reason that the snooze time of one would apply to the other.

After 6 months, this still causes me to miss meetings when I accidentally snooze one unimportant reminder for 8 hours, then snooze an important meeting reminder for 8 hours as well right after that.

I have between 3-10 meetings every day, and I am a slave to my reminders, and this new behavior has made my calendaring life infinitely more complex and more unhelpful.

J

jeffreywmsmith708

Hi EngineerBoy,

../../../../../Profile/en-US/?user=EngineerBoy&referrer=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.answers.microsoft.com%2fForums%2fen-US%2foutlookcontact%2fthread%2f19b9f1d1-4a00-48f0-91ae-f386a2f30d0a%2f&rh=C9tCLzoT9%2f8xEMrFC%2fTjT2fBi62P9%2bR3AXNncdGdxHk%3d&sp=forumsThanks for posting and supporting a request for a fix here. Unfortunately, since I started a related question here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/d4260c5c-0ddd-4c90-a9ef-601d9c37472f/

> .. almost 4 months ago on July 2nd, there has been little MS attention paid to this topic besides token lip service and that has been illogical and negligent at best.

As I have suggested to earlier contibutors to this topic, I clicked the" Propose as Answer" button on both my September 11, 2010 5:04 PMpost and my September 11, 2010 7:40 PM post. If you (or anyone else reviewing this topic) agree with either post, perhaps *your* clicking the " Propose as Answer" button, too (on either post), will help alert the moderators and build support for the idea that this question ought to be re-opened.

Thanks,

Jeff

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Proposing answers won't get this escalated to the product team - MVPs do that when an interesting thread comes up, especially if there are multiple users complaining and the same thing. (I took it to the group when this thread was posted and asked about it again today). I don't know whether they plan to change it or not but i do know it won't be until at least sp1.

L

Loves the Beach

I must agree with EngineerBoy on this. I certainly hope that MS changes this. My guess is that for every one person who posts, there are a lot who are not posting. They are just living with the problem. Thanks, Diane, for any headway you can make on this!!

J

jeffreywmsmith708

Proposing answers won't get this escalated to the product team

It may not get the issue " escalated to the product team" , but marking the issue as " Answered" with an " official" answer that doesn't reflect accurately the underlying issue or propose that anything be done about it might discourage others from complaining more (and bringing perhaps more product-team-attention to the issue so that we might at least get some feedback from them that indicates: a) Yes, we see the issue; b) We agree we messed up in making this change, and c) we will fix it (in SP1 or by such-and-such expected date). Wouldn't that be a proactive thing for MS to do ... to show some actual respect to their customers that take the time to document and advocate changes in their products that will improve customer satisfaction? Instead of acting like the Wizard behind the curtain who doesn't have to answer anyone at all?

Jeff

E

Ed Wasserman

A setting that defines the behavior sure would be great. I recently upgraded from Office 2003 and have been loosing my mind over the reminder snooze behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Reminder snooze default behaviour changed in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010 - reminders won't snooze Using Outlook 1
B Snooze meeting in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 2
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 is Auto Purging when not configured for that Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
Mark Foley Cannot enable add-in in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Updating from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2010 Flag blocked for Safe Senders List???? Using Outlook 7
dweller Outlook 2010 Rule Ignores VBA Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Mark Foley Unable to subscribe to published calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
K Maximum Categorize Shortcuts In Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
RBLampert Outlook 2010 no longer (?) shrinks large images Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2010 will not send nor receive Using Outlook 4
U Outlook 2010 'freezes' before moving emails Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2010 trusted emails going to spam folder Using Outlook 18
E Outlook 2010 Subject sort uses Thread-Topic for grouping Using Outlook 2
King Mustard Maximum Categorize shortcuts in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2010 keeps asking for username and password Using Outlook 1
M Duplicate Primary Mail Accounts outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
T Compacting Outlook 2010 OST results in old emails being re-sent Using Outlook 6
K Outlook 2010 duplicate download emails 1 inbox 1 PST no updates Using Outlook 3
D create an html table in outlook custom form 2010 using vba in MsAccess Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
Potty Ash MS Outlook 2010 custom form - validation or formula to request user to check a checkbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
RBLampert Outlook 2010 sends to/receives from some Gmail addresses but not others Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about address book in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 9
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is there a good third party SPAM filter that intergrates with Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Another reinstall of Outlook 2010 issue Using Outlook 10
S Outlook 2010 Cannot Open Attachments Using Outlook 14
Justo Horrillo Issue with rules in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
L Upgrade from Outlook 2010-any reason to? Using Outlook 1
C Attached Files outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
C Attached files on Outlook 2010 Sp1 & Exc 2013 are missing Exchange Server Administration 1
EaglePI Outlook 2010 need help with rules Using Outlook 0
K can not reinstall outlook 2010 Exchange Server Administration 0
T outlook 2010 mail item count doesnt match display Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Werewolf Workaround for the missing Activities tab in Contact Folder Properties in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 2
G Can't open .pst. Message could not access default folder (Outlook 2010 (.pst). Before that was backi Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2010 on re-imaged computer missing calendar/contacts Using Outlook 0
V Hotmail account on Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2