PST files Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mlnorman

I'm new to Outlook. I'd been using Outlook 2003 as just a calender and contacts manager (to coordinate with my Blackberry) but when I moved to WIN7 and Office 2010, I took the plunge and started using Outlook 2010 as my email client too. I managed to moved/import all my mailboxes and contacts and send up one email profile. Two questions please:

1. In 2010 I now have three .pst files where in Outlook 03 I had one. My three files are:

A) firstname.lastname.@abc,edu -- ABC.pst. (ABC is the name of my lone email profile.) This file is in C:\Users\FirstName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

B) Then I have Outlook Data File - ABC.pst. This file is in C:\Users\FirstName\Documents\Outlook Files

C) Then I have the regular Outlook.pst in C:\Users\FirstName\Outlook.

I thought that all my data -- contacts, email, tasks, email account settings were in Outlook.pst. Some of those other files must have been created when I set up my fresh email profile in 2010 and/or when I imported my old Outlook.pst from 2003.

Questions: Is all my data, emails, email settings, contacts, tasks all in plain old Outlook.pst? Do I need those other pst files and what are they for.

2. Question 2. I have four contacts folders: Contacts, Hospital, Christmas, Suggested Contacts. None of these are subfolder s. They all sit one under the other. When I sync with Blackberry, I only get the contacts from the "contacts" folder. I'm assuming if I want to ____ the contacts in the "hospital" folder, I have to move it and make it a subfolder of "contacts.

Thanks for taking the time to think about all this.

B

Brian Tillman

I'm new to Outlook. I'd been using Outlook 2003 as just a calender and contacts manager (to coordinate with my Blackberry) but when I moved to WIN7 and Office 2010, I took the plunge and started using Outlook 2010 as my email client too. I managed to moved/import all my mailboxes and contacts and send up one email profile. Two questions please:

1. In 2010 I now have three .pst files where in Outlook 03 I had one. My three files are:

A) firstname.lastname.@abc,edu -- ABC.pst. (ABC is the name of my lone email profile.) This file is in C:\Users\FirstName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

I'll bet your school's account is an IMAP account. IMAP accounts always have their own folder sets. This was just as true in Outlook 2003 as in Outlook 2010. It could be, though, that it's your default folder set and you created this account when you configured Outlook the first time. Only you'll know that. You were there. It could be that it's the same data file as in B) but you don't understand how you configured Outlook.

B) Then I have Outlook Data File - ABC.pst. This file is in C:\Users\FirstName\Documents\Outlook Files

This is not a folder that is created notmally when installing Outlook. It must be a folder you created on purpose at some point. You are referencing it because, I suspect, you did't configure Outlook correctly.

C) Then I have the regular Outlook.pst in C:\Users\FirstName\Outlook.

This must be one you created because the folder you name has no special meaning to Outlook. Perhaps you used this folder and its data file when you switched to Windows 7 and Outlook 2010, but you'd know that because you must have created this folder. It would not appear on its own. It could be your original PST that you put in this folder in order to reuse it.

I thought that all my data -- contacts, email, tasks, email account settings were in Outlook.pst. Some of those other files must have been created when I set up my fresh email profile in 2010 and/or when I imported my old Outlook.pst from 2003.

Your email account settings are kept in the registry, not in the Outlook data file. You must recreate your accounts manually and it looks like you did create one of them.

Exporting and importing is a poor way to move data from one Outlook instance to another. Normall, you just add the existing PST(s) to your mail profile. You can do this before every starting Outlook the first time.

Questions: Is all my data, emails, email settings, contacts, tasks all in plain old Outlook.pst? Do I need those other pst files and what are they for.If you have an IMAP account and it attendant data file, your IMAP folders won't have any contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, or any other non-mail folder. IMAP simply doesn't know about non-mail. If it's a folder set associated with a POP account and it's your default data file, then it will contain a full set of folders.

Examine each date file's folders. Note which, if any, coontains your contacts and calendar. That's the one you want to be your default. Open the Mail applet in Control Panel and click E-mail Accounts. How many accounts are defined? Select the Data Files tab and look at the files you have defined. Mark as default the one you want to be the default and remove the others, unless one of them is associated with an IMAP account. You can't remove that without deleting the account itself. Start Outlook and it shold look as it was before you transferred the data.

2. Question 2. I have four contacts folders: Contacts, Hospital, Christmas, Suggested Contacts. None of these are subfolder s. They all sit one under the other. When I sync with Blackberry, I only get the contacts from the "contacts" folder. I'm assuming if I want to ____ the contacts in the "hospital" folder, I have to move it and make it a subfolder of "contacts.

If you are using the Contacts view of the Navigation Pane, all your contact folders will be shown on the same level regardless of their real hierarchy. Use the Folder List view if you want to see how they're really laid out.

Suggested Contacts is am Outlook-supplied folder that contains address of people with whom you correspond; that are on your existing messages but not in your Contacts folder. It was added to Outlook because people wanted Outlook to automatically save addresses to whom they replied. Rather than putting them in the regular Contacts folder (so that the Contacts folder didn't get clogged with infrequently-used addresses), Outlook puts them in Suggested Contacts. You can them move them to the regular Contacts folder if you want. Sync software usually works only with the default Contacts folder; no subfolders and not Suggested Contacts.

----------------------------

M

mlnorman

Thanks, Brian. I learned a lot from your thorough post. My co-worker is putting together a special contacts folder in O-2007. I'll have her create a pst from the folder, then I go into mail in the control panel, click the data files tab, and "add" it. I assume the new contacts folder will then show up when I open Outlook 2010.

N

Nancy2424

Minorman:

I'd love to know how you successfully imported your files from Outllok 2003 to Outlook 2010. I just got a new laptop running Windows 7 and Office 2010. My old system ran Windows XP and Office 2003. I just tried exporting the PST files for both my contacts and calendar, but when trying to import them on my new system, I got a message saying "File access denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file D://calendarbackup.pst." FYI - I copied the PST files to a CD-RW and have not had prblems transfering files like this in the past.

B

Brian Tillman

Do not export/import. There's no need.

Copy the file from the CD to some folder on your hard drive, like Documents\Outlook Files. You should then be able to add it to your mail profile. If I were doing it, I'd use the Mail applet in Control Panel. Open the applet and click Data Files. Browse to the PST you copied from the CD, and select it. Then, if you want those folders to be your default folders, click the Set as Default button in the button bar along the top of the tab. Start Outlook and you should have what you need.

----------------------------

N

Nancy2424

Thanks, Brian. I copied the file from the CD into the Document\Outlook Files folder as you suggested. I used the mail applet, but when I selected the calendarbackup file, it said it wasn't a PST file. Strange ,since I exported it from my old system and it was a PST file, as far as I could tell. Any suggestions on how to export to get the files to work? I'm trying to pull my calendar and contacts- the email folders are already in Outllok 2010 since I pull from hotmail.

Thanks!

N

Nancy2424

I was actually able to import the contacts based on your directions. The problem is with the calendar. It says it's not a PST file.

Another question: how do I make my contacts my default file (there is the original file called Contacts - my email address and the new file is "Contacts - contactbackup"

Thanks again!

S

simonbrew

I'm only an amateur in all this, but I think you may be confused between folders and files. pst is an Outlook 2003/2007/2010 FILE type, within which you can and normally do have FOLDERS of 4 or more different types, including mail, calendar, notes, tasks, journal, contacts

So any one pst file can have one or more of each type of folder in it, for example, mail type: inbox, sent items, outbox, my folder,

calendar type: calendar and maybe calendar backup,

notes type: just notes,

task type: just tasks.

contacts type: one or more contacts files, such as contacts (default), contacts backup, contacts archive.

You select which pst file is the default pst file in the dialogue which sets up the email account. I hope that makes sense?

B

Brian Tillman

If Outlook says it's not a PST file, then it is likely it was corrupted somewhere in the copy process. A commercial PST repair tool may be able to fix it (Google "(pst OR office) repair") but don't hold your breath.

B

Brian Tillman

In the above message, I said that C:\Users\FirstName\Documents\Outlook Files was not a folder created normally when installing Outlook, but that's wrong. Outlook 2010 uses that folder by default for new PSTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.