How to transfer Contacts and Notes folders from Outlook 2007 on a Windows Vista Computer to Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lara75

My Outlook 2007 Contacts on my old computer ( run on Vista) has over 3000 names & addresses - some are duplicates. I also have a large Notes folder in outlook 2007

I would like to transfer the Contacts and Notes (from Outlook 2007 on the old computer ) to Outlook 2010 on my new computer (Windows 7 ) and be able to eliminate the duplicates at the same time (or before the transfer).

Please can anyone help?

Lara 75

G

Ganesh Kumar N

Try to export the contacts and notes as PST file from outlook 2003 and then import back into outlook 2010. Do the following,

1. Open Outlook – Click File – Import and export

2. Click Export to a file – Outlook data file (.pst)

3. Select Notes. Ensure you have a checkmark for "Include Subfolders". (This is to make sure that items from subfolders are exported, if any) and click next.

4. Choose a file name and save the file in desktop. Click "Do not export duplicate items".

5. Click Finish.

Repeat the above steps for exporting Contacts. Copy the exported files over to the other machine using a flash drive.

Steps to import data into Outlook 2010.

1. Open Outlook – Click File – Open – Import.

2. Choose "Import from another program or file"

3. Choose Outlook data file (.pst)

4. Browse for the transferred files and choose "Do not import duplicates" and click Next

5. Ensure that the option "Import items into the same folder" is selected and click Finish.

Ganesh Kumar N

L

Lara75

Thank you so much Ganesh. I shall proceed as you have suggested.

Just a small question - You said that " Choose a file name and save the file in desktop.." and then when importing you said .." .Ensure that the option "Import items into the same folder" is selected" and click Finish

Does it mean that my Outlook 2010 data from now on be kept in the new .pst folder with the new name and not in the default folder which came with the 2010 software? What about all the other data which I already have in my 2010 outlook which at present is stored in the Default folder ?

Can you please help me understand this point for future back ups which I normally do manually on an external drive. I need to know how many .pst folders I need to back up?

What will happen to the formats of the contacts in 2010? Will they be the same as in 2007 Outlook ?

Many thanks.

Lara 75

L

Lara75

Try to export the contacts and notes as PST file from outlook 2003 and then import back into outlook 2010. Do the following,

1. Open Outlook – Click File – Import and export

2. Click Export to a file – Outlook data file (.pst)

3. Select Notes. Ensure you have a checkmark for "Include Subfolders". (This is to make sure that items from subfolders are exported, if any) and click next.

4. Choose a file name and save the file in desktop. Click "Do not export duplicate items".

5. Click Finish.

Repeat the above steps for exporting Contacts. Copy the exported files over to the other machine using a flash drive.

Steps to import data into Outlook 2010.

1. Open Outlook – Click File – Open – Import.

2. Choose "Import from another program or file"

3. Choose Outlook data file (.pst)

4. Browse for the transferred files and choose "Do not import duplicates" and click Next

5. Ensure that the option "Import items into the same folder" is selected and click Finish.

Ganesh Kumar N

I just followed the instruction step by step and tried to import the contact and notes etc. folder from Outlook 2007 to the new computer with Outlook 2010. Not a success !.
First of all I no longer have all my addresses Under the Contact Folder in 2010.
The " Notes" folder contents in 2007 did not copy to the " Notes" folder in 2010 ! ( I certainly ticked include sub folders on both Export and Import options) .

There is no sign of those Contact Foldersand their contents in my 2007 Outlook in my new Outlook 2010.

I have to add that I have Outlook Hotmail Connector installed in 2010 Oitlook.

I have three e mail accounts in Outlook 2010.

Some of the addresses from 2010 have been copied under one of these three e mails ! That is all !

It appears to me to be a disaster to sort it all out - more than 3000 addresses and Notes etc.

PLEASE Can you help.

Lara75

S

Sue Mosher - Outlook MVP

Lara75, try using the instructions at the second link that Brian posted. They will help you transfer the entire .pst file, which is the best way to move the data from one machine to another.

L

Lara75

Sue, Thank you so much for trying to help.

My outlook 2010 folder has many problems. Because I have used the Import / Export method I have a mish mash of information in my outlook 20120 contacts. My 2007 outlook contacts Folder has sub contact folders ( as well as notes folder etc.). These sub Folders have not been exported to outlook 2010.
How do I actaully eliminate these imported contacts in 2010 Outlook before using Brian's method to import the 2007 folders into 2010 folders? I do not wish to un-install my Outlook 2010 becasue I have 1000s of e mails etc.

Many many thanks.

Lara75

S

Sue Mosher - Outlook MVP

Because you didn't transfer the entire .pst file in the first place and have been using a new .pst file that OUtlook 2010 created, you now have a lot of data in two locations. You will need to decide which .pst file you want to use as your main store and make it the default store, if it isn't the default already. Then, open the other one in Outlook. Next, for data in default folders, move or copy the individual items from the secondary .pst file into the main one. Finally, for data in non-default folders, move or copy the entire folder from the secondary .pst file into the main one.

L

Lara75

Sue, Thank you again.

I have just checked in Outlook 2010 to see how many .pst folders I have. There seems to be several but non appears to be currently accessed. So I really do not know how to identify the default .pst folfder in outlook 2010. Please can you guide me on this.

Eeven if I manage to identify the default .pst folder in outlook 2010, I did not really understand what you are suggesting I should be doing with the various .pst folders. I would be grateful for step by step instruction if at all possible. Many thanks.

Lara75

S

Sue Mosher - Outlook MVP

You can think of your .pst folders as file folders and each .pst file as a file cabinet. In some cases, you might want to move papers between folders. In others, you might want to move entire folders. Or, you might photocopy some of those papers, leave the originals in one cabinet, and file the copies in the other. All those are actions you can take with items in your Outlook folders, but only you can determine what content should be filed where.

This might be a good place to start:

Changing the Default Data File

http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultpst.htm

To move a Personal Folders .pst file

http://www.slipstick.com/config/movepst.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Transfer Contacts from old computer to address book in new computer Using Outlook 1
F Contacts List Transfer Using Outlook 1
S How to transfer Contacts and Calender from Office XP on Old PC to New PC runing Office 2010 Using Outlook 1
O How do I transfer my contacts, calender and tasks from my default outlook .pst file to a windows liv Using Outlook 9
C Transfer of Contacts to Blackberry Using Outlook 2
C How do I transfer Outlook Express files (contacts, inbox, etc) to Outlook (Office 2010)? Using Outlook 2
O would like to transfer all contacts/emails from Outlook Express from old computer to Outlook on new computer. Using Outlook 1
K Outlook Web Access transfer contacts to Computer Using Outlook 1
G I am trying to transfer/merge my Outlook Express contacts to my new Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 Outlook. Using Outlook 1
G How to transfer email contacts to another computer Using Outlook 7
I How do I transfer my Global Contacts from my network profile to another profile? Using Outlook 3
D Transfer Contacts and Calendar from Outlook 2003 to 2010 Using Outlook 1
M Transfer my contacts from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
T Contacts transfer problems Using Outlook 2
S Transfer of Microsoft Outlook 2003 Contacts to Microsoft Outlook Professional 2010 Using Outlook 1
C I need to transfer contacts files from Outlook 2003 with Windows XP Pro to a new laptop using Outlook 2007. Thanks for any help. Using Outlook 1
K transfer iphone contacts to microsoft outlook on computer Using Outlook 4
M Transfer To New Computer - Lost Some Outlook Functionality Using Outlook 0
C Transfer Outlook TextBox Text Into Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R can I transfer outlook data from old pc by using .ost file instead of the .pst Using Outlook 5
V Outlook 2013 - transfer autocomplete data Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Transfer POP3 Mail on an iPhone to Outlook New Slipstick.com Articles 7
P Macros in Word 2003 - how to transfer to another Word 2003? Using Outlook 1
E Some Calendars Not Visible After Transfer Using Outlook 2
A Creating rule to create week folder and transfer mail using alert Using Outlook 3
M HELP--Extract Data from 2003 outlook transfer to excel spreadsheet Using Outlook 1
S Anyone know how to transfer Outlook Express "Identities" to Outlook 2010 ... Using Outlook 1
D Unable to transfer rules from one Outlook computer to another Using Outlook 5
I Is there a way to transfer Windows Address Book files to Outlook? (Contact information FROM Windows Address Book TO Outlook?) Using Outlook 1
L Transfer Contact Info? Using Outlook 2
Z Transfer my custom mail folders to new computer Using Outlook 1
B Can I transfer (copy) my emails onto a CD or DVD? Using Outlook 4
F address book and mails did not transfer when migrated from one computer to another Using Outlook 4
J I used a Belkin Easy Transfer kit to transfer files from an old XP based laptop to a new Windows 7 l Using Outlook 3
C Installing Outlook 2003 on a new Windows 7 Desktop and transferring data via Easy Transfer Using Outlook 3
A Would like to transfer my outlook 2003 contacta and address book to windows live and retain them in outlook as well Using Outlook 2
M Transfer Outlook 2007 PST file to new computer running Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
N How do I transfer my address book and folders I currently have in Outlook from my old computer to my new computer? Using Outlook 1
T Transfer email folders from old pc to new pc Using Outlook 3
S Transfer email group to another computer Using Outlook 13
V How to transfer email in personal folders to another persons computer Using Outlook 9
L transfer data from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
P Outlook Connector Contact Pictures do not transfer Using Outlook 2
A how to transfer outlook 2010 files from 64-bit to 32-bit - easy transfer doesn't work Using Outlook 1
B Save account and personal settings, and blocked and safe senders for transfer to a new computer or after reinstall Using Outlook 1
N Transfer Outlook 2007 data file to Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
E Transfer calendar from a .pst to a user's active exchange account? Using Outlook 7
J Problems during Outlook 2010 Transfer to new PC Using Outlook 5
T Exchange 2007 to 2010 transition, SSL transfer question/problem. Exchange Server Administration 3
P Transfer several pst files from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2