Deleted email messages showing in inbox?

• Thread starter doris1
  • Start date Views 648
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doris1

Hi, I'm new to Outlook. I'm using Outlook 2010. Instead of deleted messages moving to the deleted folder they remain, with a line through, in my inbox. I probably did something to cause this because when I deleted messages previously they went to the deleted folder. I don't know what I did or how to fix. Haven't been able to find anything about this in help.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You are using an imap account and this is the normal behavior - you can go into File, Account settings, double click on your account and chose more settings, then the deleted items tab and set it to move deleted items to the deleted items folder.

D

doris1

Hi,

I'm completely fuddled. I eventually found the deleted items tab, there were a couple more steps than you indicated. At the deleted items tab screen. There's an on off button that says move deleted items to folder which is selected. Below is a folder tree. Top of the tree my email account. Below: inbox, junk email, mail, below mail is trash then out a level sent items.

Below the folder tree 2 more options. First Mark items for deletetion but don't move them automatically this option is not selected. 2nd purge items when switching folders while online. This selection is highlighted.

My confusion. First there's no "deleted folder". I tried to select the "trash" folder by clicking on it but nothing changes so it doesn't appear to select by clicking. I nevertheless double clicked on trash then "finished" out including a test.

SOS, when I delete an item it remains in the inbox with a line through it.

I realize that somewhere I did create this situation because when I first used Outlook 2010 the deleted items were moving to the deleted folder. I also know that I never changed any account settings but did look at filtering.

A

ALHUNT

This doesn't work for Outlook 2007. Is there a similar fix for Outlook 2007?

Thanks, Al H

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

This doesn't work for Outlook 2007. Is there a similar fix for Outlook 2007?

Thanks, Al H

No, outlook 2007's support for imap doesn't have this feature and you can't add it.

Status
Not open for further replies.