Cannot update or view hyperlinks in outlook 2007 on windows 7 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brenda B.

Okay... I have office 2007 Pro. My outlook was working fine, I am unsure of when exactly the prob. started. when I tried to update .. got the message:"This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on your computer. Please contact your system administrator." I have installed & since, un-installed both fierfox & chrome(silly nephews talked me into checking them out..)My default browser is IE8. Gone through setting defaults, both ways.No fix. I am worried about messing with my registry though...is that the only way? What if that does not work? and I have jacked up my registry! This is a new PC & I dont want that to happen : ) Is un-installing and re-installing both Office & IE8 an option that will not work ?? I have not done that, obviously.. but I found this forum so thought I would check in to see...HELP!

B

Brenda B.

Hello Hal,and thank you for your prompt reply,

I do understand you to be correct... it is the browser & not outlook 2007, however I do not know what to do to remedy this issue.
What your link said to do I have already done, repeatedly.

I just bought this pc & Office a few months ago, I don't want to mess it up.
What am I to do?

R

Roady [MVP]

Try the registry fix from this article already? It is safe to use and a lot of people have reported it to be successful for them.

It will restore the proper registry entries and deletes the one that Google Chrome left there and which are causing you this issue.

B

Brenda B.

Okay I'm gonna give it a whirl... I keep ya posted! wish me luck, I get "eeeeeksy" messing in there(registry!)

B

Brenda B.

Robert,

Woo!!! Hoo!!!That fixed it!

Thank you sooo very much it was making me crazy!!I like that it just took care of it as an update would, that I did not have to delve into any registry business!

It took me a very long time to input the 'workable' wording into the web to find this site.

There are a lot of people out there that are still searching for the resolution.Glad to not be one of the statistics any longer.

So very much appreciated.

Thanks BrendaB

B

Brenda B.

Robert,

Just in case you did not get it in my first letter...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!VERY MUCH!!

: )

B

Brenda B.

Bye the way Robert,

Is this the only browser that is known to do this, and if I tried Chrome again the same would...happen again?

Pretty quirky Ha?

R

Roady [MVP]

Hi Brenda,

You're welcome! :)

If you were to use Chrome again and set it as the default browser, then yes, it could happen again indeed unless Google decides to fix the way they do their mappings/handlers and/or run a restore of the mappings/handlers when Chrome is uninstalled.

The Outlook team might step in as well since the issue caused by Chrome is quite an issue for Outlook (you saw the "statistics" :-D). Instead of displaying the error, they might find a way to implement a method to find the correct default browser or to simply fall back to IE. The last option would be harder to implement more due to "politics" than due to how it should be programmed. Until then, keep a hold of the reg-file or bookmark the site ;-)

As for other browsers causing the same issue; I'm not aware of one of the other major browsers doing the same as Chrome does. There used to be similar issues with Firefox but they fixed it permanently when going to the 3.0 version or even before that (either way; quite some time ago).

Regards,
Robert

B

Brenda B.

I see... I'll just be happy & stick with IE8.

Thank you so much again!

Great day to you!

: )

Brenda

B

Brenda B.

Hello Robert,

I have "Registry Repair Wizard" I use fairly regularly.

Since yesterday I get these"needed repairs" Is this related to the fix? and if yes I could just check the boxes to ignore these files for "fixing"?

Or do ya know?

BrendaB : )

64*Key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dat
The file extension (.dat) referenced in this entry is no longer useful.

64*Key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dcm
The file extension (.dcm) referenced in this entry is no longer useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.