Recovering contacts, bookmarks, etc. after reformating the hard drive

• Thread starter Bob Graves
  • Start date Views 829
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Graves

I had to reformat my hard drive. There is a directory on my C drive, after the reformat and reinstallation of Win 7, called windows.old. My choices are a) find the file(s) in the windows.old directory, b) try to find them in a rather dated backup on CDs or c) try to get them from my iPhone 3Gs (bookmarks and contacts but no calendar). The b) option is the least attractive, if I even have any on a CD they might be several years old.

The a) option would be the most complete and up to date, but I am concerned about getting re-infected with the virus that caused me to do a complete restore, in the first place.

G

GordonBP

The Windows.old folder is created when you do an in-place UPGRADE from Vista to Windows 7 - it is NOT created when you format the disk and do a fresh install.

So, either you didn't do a format and just did an "upgrade" in which case your old pst file (containing all your Outlook data) will be there, or, if you did an upgrade from Vista, then that will be the date of the Outlook data that's in there.

B

Bob Graves

Now I am confused. When I search on "*.csv" I find my old email in a spreadsheet. The dates would indicate that they were created about the time I did the upgrade from Vista to Win 7, as you said. On the other hand, when I so the same type of search on "*.docx" I find many doc files that were created long after I upgraded to Win 7

I upgraded from Vista to Win 7 last fall, I did a system recovery last week. When I did the recovery I used the cd sent to me to do the upgrade last fall, however I did a complete "clean" installation to avoid restoring my laptop to Vista. So I ended up with Windows 7 and then used my original cd with Office Home and Student edition to re-install office. I now have Windows Live, I am not sure what I had before last week, but it seemed like Windows Live.

Thanks for you response,

Bob

G

GordonBP

OK.

You must have exported your email to a csv file at some stage.

Secondly do you actually have TWO partitions on your HDD?

B

Bob Graves

I honestly don't know and would appreciate understanding how to tell. According to the HP technician, I do have two partitions on the single hard drive. They tell me that the windows.old folder was created and placed in a partition on the hard drive that does not get reformated before the "system recovery" takes place. And that the recovery does reformat the corrupted partition.

Thanks for your response,

Bob

N

Natasha Dsouza

You can also locate the personal folder on the machine by searching for *.pst files in the windows.old folder and then copy the personal folder to the default Outlook location.

Open the old personal folder in outlook referring the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291636

Also ensure to make the personal folder as default in the current profile after opening in Outlook.

B

Bob Graves

Thanks for your response, Natasha. I did the search on *.pst and only found one hit, which was in a chat session that I had saved from last August. I am now convinced that my Office Home and Student 2007 package comes with Windows Live and not Outlook. So since I purchased this laptop in Aug 2009 I have left Outlook for Windows Live.

For information, I have recovered my word docs, my spreadsheets, my contacts, and my bookmarks. The only items left are my calendar data, my email messages and my iTunes music. Making progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.